GOLTV reporting Morace to succeed Pellerud!

Mobiiiiiiiilio

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Not sure if she brought the conditioning coach but I would be definitely against that. We have lots of people who'd be starving for a job like that and with the Own the Podium and Top Secret programs for Vancouver 2010 I know we don't take a back seat to anybody in the sports science department.

Absolutely, Canada is blessed with a tremendous number of very qualified professionals in the field of sports science. Paolo is one of the best and has specialized in soccer for years. He has worked professionally in Italy (as Rafael Carbajal's assistant when Rafael was head coaching at the professional level in Italy earlier this decade). He is also connected to the Canadian Sports Centers (http://www.cscontario.ca/web_page/index.php?set_language=EN) which will give this team access to state of the art sports science resources. The fact he is fluent in Italian is also a bonus so there is no wasted time trying to understand what Morace needs.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Rosenfeld has a problem with Morace being hired. His job is programs and players.

If they want to put Andrea Neil on the staff as an assistant, great. But the comment about giving her the U17 team is a little unsettling. Coaching isn't a retirement home when your legs can't keep up. It's a way of life and as professional a career as playing the game. And it's not something you sit down and read in a book... it's either in you or it's not. I can't say I've ever met a single human being (coach, manager, trainer, parent, player) who didn't think they were a great coach, but I can count on my fingers the number I've met who actually qualify. It's not impossible, every now and then a player CAN put the time in and become a great coach, but 98% of the time they burn up in flames. And those who do succeed usually put in a long time before they get a national team.

A national team is no place to see if someone can coach or not. You see teams 'sacrificed' like that at the minor amateur club level. There have been tens of thousands of posts on our men's and women's coaches in the past year. Surely people have to prove themselves worthy before getting a national team. And if we don't have that level of professionalization, how can you expect the players to respond? They're not daft, they know good from bad and quality versus rookie.

Look at Dale Mitchell - comparatively a significantly better player on the field, head coached for five or six years before he got the U20s, and even then you get a lot of healthy arguments that wasn't enough.

^ Vic, Andrea's job is "assistant coach" but my feeling is that her immediate role is "liason" between Morace and Players. I don't recall reading anything where she is being "given" the U17s. I've commented that she is being "groomed".

Personally, I think it is very wise to add a respected WNT veteran to the staff. None of the other 4 coaches have as much experience or knowledge about the pool of players as Andrea will bring to the table. It would be unwise, in my opinion, to not have such a person in the staff.

Andrea will have a very unique opportunity to learn the ropes from a very diverse and experienced staff of coaches. If she doesn't have what it takes, maybe she won't get a team. I trust Morace's judgement to make that determination when the time is right. If Andrea isn't ready, maybe one of the other coaches will handle those duties (Betty or Rafael would be more than capable of handling the U17s if necessary) or some other coach within or outside the system will be tapped to lead them.

It is far too early to be quibbling about such things. Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Morace is very committed to coaching development and I'm sure there will be other ex-players with an interest/passion for coaching getting an opportunity to work with her.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

On the California roster released today by the CSA Andrea Neil's position is given as 'Staff', not even Staff Coach!

Neil is not even a ring leader, let alone a coach. Must have been some sort of quid pro quo between the CSA and Morace. I think that for Morace, Neil is more of baggage than assistant or merely staff.

What qualifies her to be groomed for the U17 any more than Ian Bridge. Both are product of Pellerud.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Neil is not even a ring leader, let alone a coach. Must have been some sort of quid pro quo between the CSA and Morace. I think that for Morace, Neil is more of baggage than assistant or merely staff.

What qualifies her to be groomed for the U17 any more than Ian Bridge. Both are product of Pellerud.

Ms Morace must have been impressed with her. It is my understanding that she is not on the staff due to "quid pro quo"

You have anything to back up that garbage post aside from your "only post about CSA" tendencies?

Staff or any created position is perfect for long-standing players who have spent years in the program and no doubt it's universal that she'll be a great worker at whatever she takes on. I really like to see our federation advanced to the point where we have enough resources to afford to spend money on developing our women off the field and opening doors for them (with the earlier qualifier on coaching... coaching is like playing and at this level you don't put players on the field who have never played before).

The only comment is if we can afford salaries to train people and get them qualified, wouldn't it make sense to think we can afford to hire even one single person to look after women's soccer in Canada at the management level? (sponsorship, marketing, expediting red tape and bureaucracy, seeding competitive quality league(s), lobbying federally for them, etc). Isn't the payback from that for the women and girls in this country many times more?

If I'm jumping the gun and it's in the hopper my apologies, but if it's not I hope someone gives it some thought.

Vic, good point about the WP management person & last era that was what the WP Director did. It's my hope that Carolina will not have to go thru what Even did in doing what the CSA really should have been doing on the business side. Hopefully she can avoid the hassles of the last era & just coach, create a new era in the WP & for the youth in the game at all levels.

On a side note the CSA has stated to me that they now have a Female Committee. But when asked to know who they are & for contact info no luck. I've been waiting for 4 months now since they said the have a FC but then it's been almost decades since the CSA had a FC.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

By the way, her official coaching staff is as follows:

The official WNT coaching staff consists of the following:

Carolina Morace (Head Coach)

Betty Bavagnoli (Lead Assistant)

Rafael Carbajal (GK Coach)

Andrea Neil (Assistant Coach)

Paolo Paccione (Strength and Conditioning Coach)

As I understand it, Ms Morace will occassionally invite some guest coaches to certain camps to assist her staff.

Is Rafael Carbajal the former coach at North York Astros ?

I see the assitant coaches player profile shows three international games back in 1991, in a five day period. Just as general comment I do think we need to develop coaches both male and female in this country and I am pretty sure the CSA has absolutley no method of tracking coach performance in our numerous leagues.

Its not clear we dont have good female coaches in this country, but it is clear we do not have process to recognize good coaches. The CSA needs to deal with that.

Andrea Neil was a player coach with the Whitecaps for a while wasn't she? I also seem to remember her being involved with some of the youth programs...

Also, she was playing international women's soccer before the U17's were born.

It seems to me that she is a prime candidate for a coaching mentorship position with our National Team. Many of the top women's coaches in the World today got their starts that way, going from the National Team retirement to assistants with their nation's women's program.

The fact that she was a long time leader on the team, is intelligent, articulate, gracious and well respected by everyone (players, coaches, public) seems to make her an even better candidate.

I have had the opportunity to meet her and she is a class act all the way!

quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

Andrea Neil was a player coach with the Whitecaps for a while wasn't she? I also seem to remember her being involved with some of the youth programs...

Also, she was playing international women's soccer before the U17's were born.

It seems to me that she is a prime candidate for a coaching mentorship position with our National Team. Many of the top women's coaches in the World today got their starts that way, going from the National Team retirement to assistants with their nation's women's program.

The fact that she was a long time leader on the team, is intelligent, articulate, gracious and well respected by everyone (players, coaches, public) seems to make her an even better candidate.

I have had the opportunity to meet her and she is a class act all the way!

I want to throw my support behind Andrea as well. She has been a top professional and has many years of experience at the highest level. I remember hearing of her starting her coaching qualifications back in 2000/2001 (the pre-B course). Even back then people were saying she was going to be an excellent coach. I also know she has done a lot of youth coaching in BC over the past few years.

The only thing I'm concerned about is how far she has gone up the qualifications ladder. Her qualifications are not mentioned in press releases and her name does not appear on the CSA's role of A or B License coaches - so perhaps she has been doing USSF or UEFA courses... or other commitments have prevented her from doing those courses. Obviously she should need to have her Canadian A License minimum to be put in charge of any of the National youth teams. What would be fantastic if Carolina Morace can get her to do the UEFA qualifications as part of her apprenticeship.

Andrea Neil is an extremely articulate and knowledgable woman.

It is a no-brainer to keep her involved in the game at the National level no matter what the capacity.

Almost 3 years ago, but I was suitably impressed how approachable and at ease she was when we interviewed her in studio for an Upfront TTP audio webcast. For those interested, it's still available for a listen in the audio archives here:

http://www.takethepiss.com/index.php?page=upfront

Just scroll down to the March 13, 2006 entry to launch the episode and then skip right to the Andrea Neil interview (Part 1 and 2) - it's 40 minutes long.

Regs.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Carolina Morace has been an in studio analyst on RAI International the past month or 2. I was watching 'La Giostra del Gol' on Sunday morning and the host said that was Carolina's last appearance on the show as she would be heading off to Canada. (I don't follow women's football, so I never realized it was the same person you guys had been talking about until it clicked on Sunday).

PS. She also did the colour commentary of the Lazio-Milan game that afternoon.

Archived