GOLTV reporting Morace to succeed Pellerud!

Mobiiiiiiiilio

I agree about provincial associations. The whole process of multiple levels of indirect representation that exists in the soccer 'democracy' in this country is laughable and wide open to abuse and special interests. We don't elect city councillors and have them elect regional councillors who then elect members of the provincial legislatures who then elect members of parliament who then choose who will be prime minister. Why do we follow that kind of process for our national soccer association? The CSA BoD should be directly elected by grassroots members across the country on a 'one member one vote' basis in the same way we elect our federal members of parliament.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do we have to vote for them? The masses vote like dolts. Do you want the future of the Canadian game in the hands of 90% of people (parents) who have never played the game?

You make sure the right people are empowered to shepherd the game and national teams and get out of their way. If you want voting have a cross-representational board (reps from provinces, pro teams, Sport Canada, technical committees, etc) vote.

You either have a democratic system or you don't. The system right now is not all that different from what you describe and we have all seen just how effective it is. However I concede that perhaps a simple democracy such as I described (in something of a momentary fit of pique I must admit!) may not be the best solution. Certainly what we have now does not serve soccer well and we must find another solution or we will continue languishing in a pit of mediocrity.

In Australia the FFA BoD is elected by one vote each from the member state bodies plus one vote each from member leagues. Nobody automatically earns a seat on the board by dint of holding office in any of these member bodies and there is no weighting of votes according to registration numbers. That would work for me. Also, the FFA is a limited liability corporation governed by the corporations act in Australia so it is as accountable to its membership in every respect as any publicly held corporation is accountable to its shareholders.

Two main entities in England, the FA Board and the FA Council.

1) FA Board

- Chairman

- CEO

- 10 Members: 5 national game, 3 EPL, 2 Football League (pro non-EPL)

The FA Board has overall executive decision-making power, and day to day responsibility for "formulating, overseeing and guiding FA policy and its strategic direction together with their implementation."

2) FA Council

- President (Prince William)

- Chairman

- Vice-Chairman (2)

- Life VP's (13)

- VP's (6)

- Divisional Reps (10)

- Association Reps (52)

- EPL Reps (8)

- Football League Reps (8)

- Other (10)

The Council acts somewhat like the Senate... analyzing, evaluating, discussing and coming to terms with issues and supporting the Board, but empowered to pushback to the Board where a significant majority agree. They also have right of veto.

I think many people would agree that the CSA BoD and its election process needs an overhaul including separation of the directors from day-to-day management of operations, focussing instead on policy, planning and oversight. I don't think we really need a two tier system such as the UK one.

Some countries have a top organization that deals with national programs and general policies. Under it there is a separate organization that deals exclusively with the professional clubs. Clubs usually deal with youth soccer. I stand to be corrected but only in northamerica I've seen these "Provincial" and "State" associations running everything.

^ Agree, but there people in this board who use MLS and north american soccer structure as an example of successful organizations.

I can only compare the soccer structure in Canada to a school yard break, where the bullies decide who's going to have fan and what game is going to be played and under what rules..... disgusting.

The FA was more to show how an advanced mature entity does things, and given that's our system of government, I sure hope it works. They essentially have a small well-appointed operating board that runs the game, with a much larger cross-representational committee supporting them and keeping them in check.

NSO are for amateur organizations. Professional organizations are governed by leagues who pay the NSO for certain rights to be sanctioned under the NSO's governance.

Canada's governments guidelines for NSO's governance unless changed will not allow for the CSA to change in some of the ways we discuss.

Too bad, from what I have read soccer is not the only sport that has issues with its provincial and national arganisations. Maybe an even wider scale investigation is in order. But as a minimum for the CSA I would like to see the shelved 2005 Deloitte recommendations implemented in full. Would be a good start. Presumably Deloitte took all applicable legislation into account when preparing their recommendations.

CoachRich's point is that NSOs are constrained by federal law that governs their setup so even a "new" CSA with new charter and new bylaws would still be subject to these constraints. I am not sufficiently familiar with the relevant federal legislation to know just how specific it is.

Carolina Morace has been an in studio analyst on RAI International the past month or 2. I was watching 'La Giostra del Gol' on Sunday morning and the host said that was Carolina's last appearance on the show as she would be heading off to Canada. (I don't follow women's football, so I never realized it was the same person you guys had been talking about until it clicked on Sunday).

PS. She also did the colour commentary of the Lazio-Milan game that afternoon.

Media Conference has been officially called

Canadian Soccer Association • l’Association canadienne de soccer

Media Release • Communiqué

For Immediate Release / Pour diffusion immédiate -

For more information please contact:

Pour toutes autres informations, veuillez contacter :

Richard Scott - 613.237.4580 x237 / 613.818.0305

Canadian Soccer Association | l'Association canadienne de soccer

Media notification / Avis aux médias

CanadaSoccer.com

Mr. Richard Scott

Canadian Soccer Association

Association canadienne de soccer

T : 613 237-4580ext. 237

C : 613.818.0305

E : rscott@soccercan.ca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday 5 February (le jeudi 5 février)

Press Conference / Conférence de presse

BMO Field - Rogers Club (2nd floor)

Peter Montopoli - General Secretary / Secrétaire-général

New women's head coach - WINNERS Canada's women's team presented by Teck

Nouvel entraîneur-chef - L'équipe féminine canadienne WINNERS présenté par Teck

14.00 Eastern / Est

* Local media are asked to contact Richard Scott at 613.818.0305 for the latest information. Les médias locaux sont priés de communiquer avec Richard Scott au 613.818.0305 pour obtenir des informations mises à jour.

Archived