Canadians abroad: October 17-23, 2008

DJT

Guest ccopela
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Will Johnson scored a beautiful goal, which ended up being the winner, in Salt Lake's 3-1 victory over Dallas.

Highlights here

Adrian Serioux had a couple nice plays in that highlight package too. The throw in the box to set up the first goal. And another play to stop one of the RSL strikers later on.

Great goal by Johnson though. He should be called up for the Jamaica game.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am glad you know so much about the level in lower division Spain, I wasn't aware it was so terrible. Maybe I should stop going, I must be wasting my money.

I will give you this: after 2nd tier in England you have almost 50 teams in the next two tiers. In Spain after 2nd division you have 80 teams in 4 divisions in what is 2B. So in principle the top 50 of those should be comparable to the top 50 in England. Just on the basis of general overall level, and ignoring the fact that Spanish youth, in many B teams of top clubs playing in 2B, is likely better than English youth.

So Gillingham, being the 30th best team below 2nd division in England, would be equivalent to a team in 7-8th place in a Spanish 2B. Like Sabadell or Denia in the division where I live. Good level to be developing in, no question. But still lower division and likely below USL Div 1, to be frank.

Okay you know much more than I do about Spanish lower level football. But I still think the quality would be higher. For example Barcelona B plays in the third divison of league one. I would consider the youth players to come out of Barcelona recently to be on par with those of Man. United. Barca's reserve team holds their own in their division. In my opinion a Man. United reserve team would not fair nearly as well in League One. As you said the talent pool is more diluted than in Engalnd where there is a straight 1-2-3-4 league pyramid, as apposed to a 1-2-3a-3b-3c-3d system. So there you go I'm guessing you won't agree but thats just my opinion.

Guest ccopela

Nik Ledgerwood started 1860 Munich's game on the bench but replaced Lars Bender (LM) in the 43rd minute. No cards and no goals for him.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Okay you know much more than I do about Spanish lower level football. But I still think the quality would be higher. For example Barcelona B plays in the third divison of league one. I would consider the youth players to come out of Barcelona recently to be on par with those of Man. United. Barca's reserve team holds their own in their division. In my opinion a Man. United reserve team would not fair nearly as well in League One. As you said the talent pool is more diluted than in Engalnd where there is a straight 1-2-3-4 league pyramid, as apposed to a 1-2-3a-3b-3c-3d system. So there you go I'm guessing you won't agree but thats just my opinion.

I am not slagging Jackson, BTW, I just think that overestimating players in England is typical amongst some fans who are basically ignorant of everything else. But very knowledgable about a nation whose senior team did not even qualify for the Eurocup.

Overestimating Gillingham and getting offended if others knock them. Some folks are totally biased in favour of England and measure the world over by its paradigms (calling a third tier anywhere else than England League One is just silly, don't use those dumb English names if you want to look serious about this) it is like if someone says Gillingham you get a hard on but if they say Elche or Hercules it is like kissing a stalagtite.

(Since this is way OT Bruges beat Cerce Bruges 3-1 this even with Klukowski playing 90).

English reserve sides do not really compete, they have nothing to play for at all. Their results do not matter, their leagues are irrelevant. While in Spain up to 2nd division and in places like Germany in 3rd tier I believe a B side is playing pro in the main pro leagues, fighting for promotion or fending off relegation. In Germany I believe they even play the Pokal, the cup. Barça B regularly sends players to the main side, in fact tonight Victor Sanchez and Sergio Busquets played, and both are just up from the B side (0-1 vs. Bilbao). In fact Barça senior team has nearly half the roster from the Masia, the youth academy (keepers Valdes, Jorquera; defenders Puyol and Piqué, the latter back from Man Utd; Iniesta, XAvi, Busquets in the middle; Bojan, Messi attacking). No team in England is even close. So do not compare Spanish B sides from the top clubs with England, or English youth with Spanish, they are miles apart. Portugal, Italy and France also happen to have better youth than England.

This year Barça B has had a bad start. But they have been in 2nd division. Now only Sevilla B is in 2nd division, two years ago Madrid's B team was there. These are academy kids and young players being groomed for the first team, and these teams hold their own fairly well in "Championship", and stay up mostly in "League One". Depends on the philosophy of the B team, if they are regularly being raided for players or not, if they are basically youth or not.

Barça B, Madrid B, Villareal B, Depor B, Sevilla B, they could all kill Gillingham, wipe them off the map, it wouldn't even be funny. And go head to head with any side in League One and most in 2nd division England.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Will Johnson scored a beautiful goal, which ended up being the winner, in Salt Lake's 3-1 victory over Dallas.

Highlights here

that was a hell of a goal and he looked confident in those highlites.

what a jerk that Richetti was two footing Will at the end of the match. I hate that crap

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Let's be friends, I like the idea. I have been to EPL, Championship and League One. So League Two must be even lower than that, right? Just asking in friendly fashion.

Give the kid his prize when he's deserved it, one of the reasons we screw up the ambience on the team is by calling up guys who do not deserve it over those who do. I mean, why not call up Alfredo Valente, or even Ethan Gage, since they are probably playing a higher level than Jackson. Could Gillingham knock out two teams still alive in the Concacaf Champions League? Not in your life.

In the end it all boils down to whom deserves a call up within the context of the leagues in which they play. Jackson may prove not to have the skills needed for either full international or higher English league level, I don't know. But right now he has shown some upward mobility in his progress, enough to warrant some interest in closer evaluation. At this stage the team "ambience" isn't as big an issue to me as seeing a player's individual skillset compared to others within our player pool. As of now, everyone in that player pool is on notice.

If you want to bring in a young player with tons of potential for the Jamaica game, David Hoilett is a much better choice, playing in Germany's 2nd div, which is about a light year from England's 4th level.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

If you want to bring in a young player with tons of potential for the Jamaica game, David Hoilett is a much better choice, playing in Germany's 2nd div, which is about a light year from England's 4th level.

Germany, I've heard of that country but all those teams have funny names, can't pronounce most of them. You never get any news about that football over there in the Sun, and they are not very serious: a guy told me once they stop the league for Christmas, what a bunch of puffs.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Yes, Hoilett looks like another young prospect on the rise.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Yes, Hoilett looks like another young prospect on the rise.

Check the video just posted in the Kanucks in Germany thread.

100% agree that Hoillet should be called over Jackson, he looks fantastic from what I have seen. And yes B2 is a very good quality, I would argue it is on par with the Championship in England as I saw McKenna play for Koln in B2 last year, and it was a very skillful game and flowing style.

The funny thing is that we may be in a position to call both, as mentioned we could easily be without:

- Radz (confirmed absent)

- Friend (will stay with club)

- Gerba (will likely stay with club as they don't break for FIFA dates)

- Hume (beef with Mitchell)

- Occean? (I don't know)

So both Jackson and Hoillet doesn't seem out of the question to me.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

100% agree that Hoillet should be called over Jackson, he looks fantastic from what I have seen. And yes B2 is a very good quality, I would argue it is on par with the Championship in England as I saw McKenna play for Koln in B2 last year, and it was a very skillful game and flowing style.

The funny thing is that we may be in a position to call both, as mentioned we could easily be without:

- Radz (confirmed absent)

- Friend (will stay with club)

- Gerba (will likely stay with club as they don't break for FIFA dates)

- Hume (beef with Mitchell)

- Occean? (I don't know)

So both Jackson and Hoillet doesn't seem out of the question to me.

I would rate B2 as better than the championship even as they have some big teams and players down there.

Radz is suspended vs. Jamaica anyways. Occean will probably be there and I would bet Gerba goes too

Guest ccopela

^^ I also wouldn't be surprised if Charles Gbeke is called again. I'd be very surprised if Mitchell called either Jackson or Hoillet even though i think they both deserve a call-up.

England

Championship

Barnsley (Hume) 2-1 Sheff Wed

Hume starts and gets subbed out of the game on 90 mins. Scores in the 4 min

League One

MK Dons (Gerba) 1-2 Stockport

Gerba starts and plays 66 mins and scores on 45 mins

Yeovil (Begovic, Bircham, Wagenaar) 3-2 Crewe

Begovic starts and plays 90 mins

Wagenaar stays on the bench

No Bircham

League Two

Gillingham (Jackson) 2-2 Notts County

No Jackson

Macclesfield (Dunfield) 1-2 Lincoln City

Dunfield starts and plays 90 mins

Conference South

AFC Wimbledon (Godfrey) 3-0 Havant And Waterlooville

Godfrey off the bench on 82 mins. AFC are now top of the table on 29 pts.

Archived