Canadians abroad: October 17-23, 2008

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for October 17-23, 2008.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From teamtalk.com:

Gerba faces late fitness test:

MK Dons manager Roberto Di Matteo will assess the fitness of striker Ali Gerba before taking his squad to Crewe on Saturday afternoon.

The striker scored for Canada on Wednesday night in a 2-2 draw with Sven-Goran Eriksson's Mexico, but after a gruelling travel schedule may be too fatigued for the trip to Gresty Road.

Midfielder Flavien Belson sits out the second game of his three-match ban while central defender Sean O'Hanlon is a doubt after missing training on Thursday with illness.

That could see Jude Stirling come back into contention alongside Spaniard Miguel Angel Llera while Danny Swailes continues his rehabilitation from Achilles surgery.

Striker Aaron Wilbraham is out with an ankle injury and goalscoring midfielder Peter Leven is a doubt with a slight groin problem.

Winger Florian Sturm remains hampered by groin worries and Craig Dobson (stress fracture) completes Di Matteo's injury list.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

From teamtalk.com:

Gerba faces late fitness test:

MK Dons manager Roberto Di Matteo will assess the fitness of striker Ali Gerba before taking his squad to Crewe on Saturday afternoon.

The striker scored for Canada on Wednesday night in a 2-2 draw with Sven-Goran Eriksson's Mexico, but after a gruelling travel schedule may be too fatigued for the trip to Gresty Road.

Midfielder Flavien Belson sits out the second game of his three-match ban while central defender Sean O'Hanlon is a doubt after missing training on Thursday with illness.

That could see Jude Stirling come back into contention alongside Spaniard Miguel Angel Llera while Danny Swailes continues his rehabilitation from Achilles surgery.

Striker Aaron Wilbraham is out with an ankle injury and goalscoring midfielder Peter Leven is a doubt with a slight groin problem.

Winger Florian Sturm remains hampered by groin worries and Craig Dobson (stress fracture) completes Di Matteo's injury list.

This is why so many players get punished for playing for Canada, and why they really deserve our support. And is it just me or is the name Craig Dobson a little funny :)

England

Championship Late Kick Off

Crystal Palace 3 v 0 Barnsley (Hume)

Hume starts and plays 90 mins

League One

Crewe 2 v 2 Milton Keynes Dons (Gerba)

Gerba starts and plays 71 mins

Northampton (C'mon You Cobblers)3 v 0 Yeovil (Begovic, Bircham, Wagenaar)

Begovic starts and plays 90 mins

No Bircham

No Wagenaar

League Two

Bradford 2 v 2 Gillingham (Jackson)

Jackson starts and plays 86 mins. Scores on 51 mins and 84 mins

Notts County 1 v 1 Macclesfield (Dunfield)

Dunfield starts and plays 90 mins

Conference Premier

Histon 1 v 0 Crawley Town (Rayner)

Rayner starts and plays 90 mins

Scotland

Premier

ICT (Hastings) 1-2 Celtic

Hastings starts and plays 90 mins. Hastings is having a good game and had a good shot on goal during the first half.

1st Division

Dundee (Pozniak)1 v 2 Ross County

Pozniak starts and plays 90 mins

I just let out a large cheer in the pub when Jackson's equaliser was announced on Sky.

Simeon is hot right now, bring him in for the Jamaica game. His family is from the island and it would be a special moment for sure.

The two goals should put him top 3 in the league. Good progress from him!

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

Simeon is hot right now, bring him in for the Jamaica game. His family is from the island and it would be a special moment for sure.

The two goals should put him top 3 in the league. Good progress from him!

Agree with you on those points. If it wasn't for his goals today Gillingham would have lost. Jackson has 7 League Goals joint 2nd on the 'Top Scorers Table'. The number one player has 10 goals to his name.

Just noticed on the Gillingam FC site. Jackson 'limped off the field after scoring his 2nd goal with an injury', Hope it isnt a bad one for him.

Guest ccopela

http://www.tampereunited.com/fin/ajankohtaista?entry=1014

Tyler Hemming wasn't in the squad for Tampere Uniteds 4-3 win against Espoo. Looks like he's picked up some sort of knock.

From an online translator I found it looks like its an internal stomach pain of some sort. And because of that injury it looks like he might be released. If someone knows finnish could they clarify this?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by N-A

Agree with you on those points. If it wasn't for his goals today Gillingham would have lost. Jackson has 7 League Goals joint 2nd on the 'Top Scorers Table'. The number one player has 10 goals to his name.

Just noticed on the Gillingam FC site. Jackson 'limped off the field after scoring his 2nd goal with an injury', Hope it isnt a bad one for him.

We don't play our Bundeliga striker, who sits on the bench, but some guy hacking it out in fourth tier England really gets us excited. A bit of friggin' perspective guys, League Two is way below USL Div 1. If he is so good he will work his way up, find a higher level to play in and if the Peter Principle does not set in you could maybe consider him.

Jeffrey you chump, chill.

Why would friend leave Borussia for the Jamaica game? He will certainly stay in Germany as evidenced by his return to Europe before the Mexico game.

My guess is we won't be seeing Hume due to beef with Mitchell. Put DeRo on that list as well.

Radz is finito, and Gerba is certainly being kept under a watchful eye by DiMatteo as he tries to prove himself with MK Dons. League One won't stop for the FIFA break so Gerba would be missing another important game.

So unless you and 30 year old Charles Gbeke intend on parterning our attack, Jackson being a future prospect is a completely realistic call-up.

Or maybe we should call Corrazin?

I know what England's League Two is buddy, probably a whole lot better than you do, I've been to two of Simeon's games in the last year. So why must you be so rude?

(rant over, lets be friends)

There is a big difference between lower divisions in England and other major countries. For example La Liga and the Premier League are about on par with each other. But in lower divisions on the continent they put in a lot less money. In some countries like Italy their Serie D is an amateur league, while League Two certainly isn't. The attendances you get for League Two matches compared to that of Spanish fourth division sides is huge. The League Two team I also think would clean up over any Spanish fourth division team.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

We don't play our Bundeliga striker, who sits on the bench, but some guy hacking it out in fourth tier England really gets us excited. A bit of friggin' perspective guys, League Two is way below USL Div 1. If he is so good he will work his way up, find a higher level to play in and if the Peter Principle does not set in you could maybe consider him.

Though he's playing in a lower level right now, he is a young player "on the rise," so to speak, and considering that we may have some possible absences for a number of reasons, why not have a look at him? The present focus should be evaluation for the future, so let's see what he can brings to the table. Certainly, his pace would certainly provide a different dimension to our striker pool.

I know what England's League Two is buddy, probably a whole lot better than you do, I've been to two of Simeon's games in the last year.

I'm sure you posted this elsewhere after you went to the games, but how did he look? Obviously he's scoring goals at that level but do you think he has the tools to step up further?

Nice to see Jackson and Radz scoring 2 this weekend.

Jackson's playing regularly, scoring regularly, and only 21. We can't ask for more than that at this point. Personally I think he has a great career ahead of him and will be an asset to our national team.

I'd hate to see him miss any club games though over a weekend call-up.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Nice to see Jackson and Radz scoring 2 this weekend.

Jackson's playing regularly, scoring regularly, and only 21. We can't ask for more than that at this point. Personally I think he has a great career ahead of him and will be an asset to our national team.

I'd hate to see him miss any club games though over a weekend call-up.

You know, I was thinking about the 4-4-2 experiment and wondering who would partner with our big guys (Friend, Gerba or OO) in the future if the new manager is to keep this formation. I could only see Hume as a possible candidate but maybe if Jackson could at least move to CCC level in 2-3 yrs he could be the one.

Anyway, nice to see him and Radz scoring.

Schafer,

In regards to the times I've seen Jackson.

Both fixtures were at home at Gillingham. They drew an avergae of about 7, 000 over the two games. One was early 2008 in League One vs. Yeovil where I saw Peters as well. And the other was a couple weeks ago vs. Accrington Stanley in League Two.

Simeon did not score in either of the games unfortunately. What he did show however is a good ability to hold up the ball up with his back to goal, as well as some noticeable skill with the ball at his feet. He definitely needs to improve his mental game, he was caught offsides a couple times when I saw him. But, he has natural pace for sure.

I completely agree though, he needs to focus on his club game and if he can either help Gillingham get re-promoted or find his own way to a League One club, I think now would be a good time, as he has proved his ability to transfer from the Blue Square Premier (with Rusdhen & Diamonds) to Gillingham.

Still doing welll for a young guy. He would be eligible for the U-23's for at least two more years I believe.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

There is a big difference between lower divisions in England and other major countries. For example La Liga and the Premier League are about on par with each other. But in lower divisions on the continent they put in a lot less money. In some countries like Italy their Serie D is an amateur league, while League Two certainly isn't. The attendances you get for League Two matches compared to that of Spanish fourth division sides is huge. The League Two team I also think would clean up over any Spanish fourth division team.

I am glad you know so much about the level in lower division Spain, I wasn't aware it was so terrible. Maybe I should stop going, I must be wasting my money.

I will give you this: after 2nd tier in England you have almost 50 teams in the next two tiers. In Spain after 2nd division you have 80 teams in 4 divisions in what is 2B. So in principle the top 50 of those should be comparable to the top 50 in England. Just on the basis of general overall level, and ignoring the fact that Spanish youth, in many B teams of top clubs playing in 2B, is likely better than English youth.

So Gillingham, being the 30th best team below 2nd division in England, would be equivalent to a team in 7-8th place in a Spanish 2B. Like Sabadell or Denia in the division where I live. Good level to be developing in, no question. But still lower division and likely below USL Div 1, to be frank.

Guest Jeffery S.

I know what England's League Two is buddy, probably a whole lot better than you do, I've been to two of Simeon's games in the last year. So why must you be so rude?

(rant over, lets be friends)

Let's be friends, I like the idea. I have been to EPL, Championship and League One. So League Two must be even lower than that, right? Just asking in friendly fashion.

Give the kid his prize when he's deserved it, one of the reasons we screw up the ambience on the team is by calling up guys who do not deserve it over those who do. I mean, why not call up Alfredo Valente, or even Ethan Gage, since they are probably playing a higher level than Jackson. Could Gillingham knock out two teams still alive in the Concacaf Champions League? Not in your life.

Archived