Vic

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is bad news:

The Red Stars now find themselves in much the same position as the Independence in 2010: with a pair of proven #1 goalkeepers.

"We feel that we need additional depth given the potential for extensive national team call-ups during a Women's World Cup year, for Jill or any other players," Red Stars Head Coach Omid Namazi Namazi said.

Washington and San Francisco go broke, league down to 6 teams.

I rarely do this, but here I go with a totally-out-of-left-field, you-must-also-believe-in-santa-clause-and-the-easter-bunny, what-have-you-been-smoking kind of thought...

I think the league will definitely survive this year and possibly even stay at 8 teams.

I think the US Soccer Federation will either jump in themselves with some money, or twist some friendly sponsorship arms to save the league. This ponies-and-rainbows hope is based on 2 thoughts:

1) They will not want to head into a WC year with no high level domestic league for their players.

2) They are bidding for the men's WC in 2022 and are doing everything they can to appear to the world as a hot-bed of soccer.

You read it here first, folks!

I am soooo... going to be sorry I posted this when the whole thing colapses on tuesday....

Might as well go all the way - and the extra two teams will be Vancouver and Toronto, and there won't be an MLS-ish import rule against Canadians...

That would make too much sense, couldn't happen. Other than tennis, figure skating and golf (all individual sports) it seems that women's team sports just can't generate interest in North America. The WNBA would never have survived without the support of the NBA and that's what women's soccer needs - organizational support until the fan base develops.

Many FA's in successful countries do exactly as you mention and not only develop the women's market on principle alone but because they know it will spillover into their primary men's market.

Doesn't look like any releases until tomorrow at the earliest. Both groups are looking for white knights, with SF the grimmer.

Sad day for the game in general, but the silver lining of getting softwood lumbered by their policies is the effect on our program is very minimal if at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Another one to update.

Liz Hansen is back in BC. No Canadians in Australia. The Germans are home. None in Italy either. Gold Pride folds. We'll leave the Norwegians and Swedes on the books until their seasons begin in the Spring, but our Canadians abroad may essentially be two goalkeepers.

CANADIAN WOMEN ABROAD

NORWAY

Andrews, Sasha - Linderud Grei, Norway (Toppserien)

Matheson, Diana - Team Strømmen, Norway (Toppserien)

Wilkinson, Rhian - Team Strømmen, Norway (Toppserien)

SWEDEN

Labbé, Stephanie - Piteå IF, Sweden (Damallsvenskan)

USA

WPS

LeBlanc, Karina - Philadelphia Independence, USA (WPS)

McLeod, Erin - Washington Freedom, USA (WPS)

* list maintained using the following as a guideline:

- players listed on a team until they disappear from the team's roster

- players playing on multiple teams in Summer/Winter leagues recorded on their current team

Kylla Sjoman from Burnaby BC (formerly captain at ASU I believe) has signed with Doncaster Belles. With the girls in the other leagues abroad coming home, I would say its more a sign of the team being camp for most of the lead up to the World Cup, as opposed to any crisis associated with either our girls or the leagues.

Looks like Sjoman is half-Canadian/half-Finn: Belles Add Sjoman To Ranks

I wonder if Andrew's contract had a relegation clause?

CANADIAN WOMEN ABROAD

ENGLAND

Sjoman, Kylla - Doncaster Belles, England (Women’s Premier League)

NORWAY

SWEDEN

USA

WPS

- players playing on multiple teams in Summer/Winter leagues recorded on their current team

Looks like Sjoman is half-Canadian/half-Finn: Belles Add Sjoman To Ranks

I wonder if Andrew's contract had a relegation clause?

CANADIAN WOMEN ABROAD

ENGLAND

Sjoman, Kylla - Doncaster Belles, England (Women’s Premier League)

NORWAY

SWEDEN

USA

WPS

Andrews team will be staying up in the Toppserien due to another team going bankrupt and losing their spot in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jenna Pel has an article about the WNY Flash on allwhitekit.com. They are hoping to attract Canadian fans:

Team President Alex Sahlen: Obviously we have a few Canadian players signed. We have a lot of teams come down from Canada for tournaments and use our facility and we have a few connections there. I had a coach email me and say “you should have a Canada Day, we’d love that, our whole team would come down” so I think that’s definitely something we’re planning on doing.

All White Kit: It seems like the Flash has the highest concentration of Canadian players in WPS. Was this a conscious decision?

AS: Not really, we just went with what they did on the field and spoke to them, liked their character. I think some of them like Candace Chapman, she’s from Toronto, maybe she wanted to be closer to home. That could be a reason.

Full article here: http://www.allwhitekit.com/

The article implies they have more Canadians on the team than just Chapman and Sinclair. Anybody know if that's true?

No they don't. The WPS is an American developmental league with a quota system on imports and Canadians receive no neighbourly allowance. WNY have also used two of their imports on Marta and Seger so have little room to add more Canadians.

Thanks very much for passing that on. Nice to see the organization stick to their roots with Parker and Davison.

I'll wait for some kind of clarification but I heard a tragic, tragic figure on what some players in the league were making this year. You would earn considerably more money working at McDonald's.

CANADIAN WOMEN ABROAD

ENGLAND

Sjoman, Kylla - Doncaster Belles, England (Women’s Super League)

NORWAY

SWEDEN

USA

WPS

Chapman, Candace - Western New York Flash, USA (WPS)

Parker, Kelly - Western New York Flash, USA (WPS)

Sinclair, Christine - Western New York Flash, USA (WPS)

Archived