Ottawa MLS

jordan

quote:Originally posted by ottawasportsfan2010

Jamboal

)You can't think of on you stand point its to hard for you.It has to be in the most ideal central location.

WTF? ESL?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamboal

)You can't think of on you stand point its to hard for you.It has to be in the most ideal central location.

Dude, sorry, but if it's hard and long to get to from Sandy Hill, then one thing's for sure, it aint f*cking central.

Come on, I've been in Ottawa for not even a month and even I know that.

Here is a big IF.

IF current CSA Sec-Gen Montopoli jumps from the good ship CSA and lands with Senators Sports Entertainment, Ottawa is MLS bound.

Montopoli and Melnyk are familiar with each other prior to Montopoli's CSA gig. And Montopoli's CSA gig has opened the MLS door for him so he has some insight into the MLS/FIFA scene.

And remember that Montopoli was propped up as a money man, a sponsor guru, but today the CSA is pretty much broke. His appointment is being questioned internally by the fart-catchers. The BoD and execs are all pointing fingers while the staff wait for decisions and directions about other programs because deadlines are looming for the other competitions. But the money isn't there, not now and probably not there in November either and if S Africa is no longer in the equation, 2009 doesn't look good for new money either. So lots of headaches.

Montopoli's credability is being openly questioned, first it was with the u20 WC. Now the whole organization.

How the CSA couldn't turn a profit after making Canadian sports history as over 1.2 million spectators attended the largest single-sport sporting event ever to take place in Canada isn't Montopoli's fault - he had that 600lb gorilla on his back picking his pockets.

That same gorilla hired him to oversee the entire circus. Problem is Montopoli will never be the ringmaster, not as long as he's stuck cleaning the gorilla's cage.

So first it was Yallop, then Bate, then Linford, the Nykamp fiasco, who will be next - Mitchell or Montopoli????

So right now Montopoli is feeling the heat just like Mitchell. Lots of tension at Metcalfe.

Bottom line, Melnyk has money, the CSA doesn't.

Just for fun I did my house (next to Landowne) to the new Stadium, and it is 1h27 minutes (but that includes walking for 21 minutes to Scotiabank, presumably, they would have direct busses).

And how is Kanata "the west end"? The west end, at best, is Lincoln Fields and Brittania. Kanata is Kanata (and this is even West Kanata)

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Here is a big IF.

IF current CSA Sec-Gen Montopoli jumps from the good ship CSA and lands with Senators Sports Entertainment, Ottawa is MLS bound.

Montopoli and Melnyk are familiar with each other prior to Montopoli's CSA gig. And Montopoli's CSA gig has opened the MLS door for him so he has some insight into the MLS/FIFA scene.

And remember that Montopoli was propped up as a money man, a sponsor guru, but today the CSA is pretty much broke. His appointment is being questioned internally by the fart-catchers. The BoD and execs are all pointing fingers while the staff wait for decisions and directions about other programs because deadlines are looming for the other competitions. But the money isn't there, not now and probably not there in November either and if S Africa is no longer in the equation, 2009 doesn't look good for new money either. So lots of headaches.

Montopoli's credability is being openly questioned, first it was with the u20 WC. Now the whole organization.

How the CSA couldn't turn a profit after making Canadian sports history as over 1.2 million spectators attended the largest single-sport sporting event ever to take place in Canada isn't Montopoli's fault - he had that 600lb gorilla on his back picking his pockets.

That same gorilla hired him to oversee the entire circus. Problem is Montopoli will never be the ringmaster, not as long as he's stuck cleaning the gorilla's cage.

So first it was Yallop, then Bate, then Linford, the Nykamp fiasco, who will be next - Mitchell or Montopoli????

So right now Montopoli is feeling the heat just like Mitchell. Lots of tension at Metcalfe.

Bottom line, Melnyk has money, the CSA doesn't.

If Melnyk has any ex CSA types in his sights it Kevin Pipe..Montopoli if you look at his history was let go by SkateCanada after years of underperformance running Skate Canadas TSET empire who basically cost of lot of money for what volunteers did better.

But really Melnyk does not need any of the CSA types and I suspect he knows from long ago how disfunctional they are.

Of interest was the question Melnyk asked of young player who asked if there was team name.. he asked .. give me a name and the kid said Ottawa Power...which is pretty darn close to Dynamo Kviv, Melnyk said get the kids name he will be famous...

I can see it FC Power Ottawa, ... but then I think better names might emerge..rumor is the stadium bar will be called Bert's.

quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

Could this be accurate? I mean, the busses do have their own lane on the 416 right? How could it take that long (even with the closest stop being a 20 minute walk away).

Umm... why would you be taking the 416 from downtown?

Melnyk is not dumb, and some of his press conference sounds like some of the common sense points that were raised here about putting the stadium in Kanata.

As much as I would like it downtown (I live in the Alta Vista area), I don't care where the stadium is so long as it is beautiful and attractive, he puts a quality product on the field, and builds it up right.

Since he's taken over the Sens, I truly do believe that he is a very shrewd and smart businessman, and would not be doing this unless he believes it can be done. Heck, he drove Ticketmaster out of most things in Ottawa!

BTW, the busses to SBP and the SSS should be much improved once the 4 laners to/from Kanata are in, as there is supposed to be dedicated bus and HOV lanes.

PEACH

PEACH

quote:Originally posted by peachgrinder

Melnyk is not dumb, and some of his press conference sounds like some of the common sense points that were raised here about putting the stadium in Kanata.

As much as I would like it downtown (I live in the Alta Vista area), I don't care where the stadium is so long as it is beautiful and attractive, he puts a quality product on the field, and builds it up right.

Since he's taken over the Sens, I truly do believe that he is a very shrewd and smart businessman, and would not be doing this unless he believes it can be done. Heck, he drove Ticketmaster out of most things in Ottawa!

BTW, the busses to SBP and the SSS should be much improved once the 4 laners to/from Kanata are in, as there is supposed to be dedicated bus and HOV lanes.

PEACH

PEACH

Note... Ottawa Geographical noob here!

I mentionned the 416 because, if I remember properly, I think the OC special bus that brought us to the Sens game a couple of years back took it, so I simply assumed it was the same thing.

quote:Originally posted by peachgrinder

PEACH

PEACH

He's putting it in Kanata, in my opinion, because if he tries to get it central on city land it will never happen because of "environmental assessments", "international design competitions" and whatever else this idiotic city council would throw at him. I don't blame him for wanting to keep the disfunctional city council's role to a minimum and that means building a stadium with his own money, on his own land.

Chris

If you go by the offical terms yes kanata is west and orleans is east.The total pop is 1.1 million.

You're just being pedantic. If you want to quibble about details then Arnprior and Fitzroy Harbour are actually the west end of Ottawa.

I'm very disappointed that he's putting it next to SBP. Even if there is dedicated bus service to the area, it'll still take 45 minutes to get there. Also, the 20-30K seating is a little optimistic. I have a sinking feeling that if this all goes down that the stadium will have as lively an atmosphere as a morgue. If Landon Donovan comes to town, I'd like the opportunity to let him know how I fell about him however I've already been shushed enough times at Sens games to know that that will probably be unacceptable.

I still signed up on the website though.

Wow, I thought all the noise at Sens games was initiated by the noise-metre that is displayed on the scoreboard to get the fans going. If I knew it was you, El Hombre, I would have had security on your case. :-)

This may be a bit of a soccer snob statement, but if Ottawa does get MLS, I hope that:

1) the team is properly marketed to people between 15-35 years of age

2) the team focuses time and energy on the various ethnic communities

3) that an area is set aside for hardcore supporters (if you buy a ticket there, do not expect to be able to sit or have a quiet time)

4) there are no electronic scoreboards telling people when to cheer

My big worry about the SBP siting is that Melnyk is using it to ratchet up other investments. So, he wants the stadium to make a true 4 season node for the ara, which will then be used to drive real estate and commercial assets that he will be installing (The Whistler Blackcomb/Aspen model).

And, I don't have a problem with real estate going in there (okay I do, but that is for another thread), but if the best interests of the team are not number 1, it will lead to the team failing.

The question I have for those few who like the siting of the stadium is, why is the Football group 100% determined to build downtown? They claim that it is because they feel that they can only sell their product if the stadium is in a central location, close to transit and amenities. I worry that us few die hards, with another 100 or so, along with a few thousand youth players, will be thhe only ones making the trip out to Kanata. I hope I am wrong, but I know I don't go to Scotiabank Place - in large part due to the money, but also because it is so far away (and even further from Orleans!)

I imagine there will be a few interesting discussions between Hunt and Melnyk in the next few weeks - as Wayne Scanlan points out in today's Citizen, there is only room for one stadium in Ottawa.

Chris --- The CFL bid for rebuilding Landsdowne is contingent on those owners getting the right to build condos on some of that land, which is being loudly opposed in public meetings and leads me to believe it will never, ever happen. That is their proposal -- Let us make money on this site with condos and we'll rebuild your stadium. I have no problem with that personally but I don't think it will fly with council and local residents.

With that in mind, I welcome Melnyk's proposal (and not just as a Kanata resident -- Honestly, I would go wherever he wanted to locate it). Actually getting something done is much better than a 10-year fight that might result in nothing in the end.

Wilfred Laurier,

Maybe Melnyk has also seen that the Whitecaps have been trying for four years (maybe four years, it's been so long I can't remember for sure) to build their stadium and they still don't even have permission. By the time they get the thing approved, then another year or two to build it, it could end up being a ten-year process! Maybe Melnyk doesn't want to take any chances that something like that would happen in Ottawa. Good luck Melnyk, you may get in there before we do.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Wilfred Laurier,

Maybe Melnyk has also seen that the Whitecaps have been trying for four years (maybe four years, it's been so long I can't remember for sure) to build their stadium and they still don't even have permission. By the time they get the thing approved, then another year or two to build it, it could end up being a ten-year process! Maybe Melnyk doesn't want to take any chances that something like that would happen in Ottawa. Good luck Melnyk, you may get in there before we do.

Bingo! If nothing else he will have a crowbar to pry a good deal quickly out of the government agencies or he'll do it on his own land and live with the downsides.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

SoccerAmerica yesterday:

"If the Ottawa bid somehow gathers great momentum, anything can happen. Yet it’s more likely that in this race, Ottawa is a rabbit sent out to speed up the pace, not one of the contenders."

I disagree really with SoccerAmerica here. Garber really likes Ottawa and Melnyk, they are going to get a team just depends on what year.

Ottawa is a good sports town, it's just a quiet one. If you have stable ownership and can put out a good product eventually, the fans will show up and be loyal. The only ultimate failure in Ottawa has been Canadian football and I guess Lacrosse but neither were run properly and had suspect ownership.

As was mentioned in the post above, Eugene has an ace in the hole in those NHL BOG members who are also MLS owners. So long as Melnyk is in charge, an MLS team will be successful here. Book it.

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

Ottawa is a good sports town, it's just a quiet one. If you have stable ownership and can put out a good product eventually, the fans will show up and be loyal. The only ultimate failure in Ottawa has been Canadian football and I guess Lacrosse but neither were run properly and had suspect ownership.

As was mentioned in the post above, Eugene has an ace in the hole in those NHL BOG members who are also MLS owners. So long as Melnyk is in charge, an MLS team will be successful here. Book it.

Who are they? Which teams?

^ I believe the teams involved would be:

Anschutz Group: LA Galaxy, Houston Dynamo in MLS and LA Kings in NHL

MLSE: Toronto FC and Toronto Maple Leafs

Hunt Sports: Columbus and FC Dallas in MLS and Columbus in NHL

Kroenke Sports: Colorado Rapids in MLS and Colorado Avalanche in MLS

Sports Capital Partners: Real Salt Lake in MLS and the St. Louis Blues in NHL

Archived