Ottawa MLS

jordan

quote:Originally posted by ChrisB

I don't think it is as simple as "Melnyk owns the land - he gets to build the stadium" - The city will (presumably) need to look at traffic/environmental impacts etc...

Thank you for highlighting this: Traffic and environmental aspects are not a concern for building by Scotiabank Place. This was a holdup to getting the 'Palladium' built, and if it is using the same infrastructure the city will be all over it, rather than have to go through another situation in another area.

As well, the 417 has been expanded into Kanata...

We'll see on Tuesday.

PEACH

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not just hockey support well concerts/cis sports etc.Again i am not sure if it would work in kanata.But there are areas they would have to stay away from such as low rent areas and so on.They need to be in a area where you have a mix of people with money to burn and blue collars workers.One probelam downtown is the people who live there not all but some don't like noise or anything like that.Lets not forget kanata is growing and 10-20 years from now could be and likely will be very different.As for the low rent areas for the most part people can just afford there bills.Would they have enough to go to a game.Its nopthing aginst the areas its just where is the best place for the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I guess I'm biased living in the downtown core but I would love the stadium downtown so I could walk to it and/or bus to it easily. The issue with involving the CFL is whether mls would accept a similar situation as what they have in other cities with those annoying gridiron lines. And in those cases, the situation with groundsharing is only a temporary one; permanent homes are being planned/built.

BTW, I'm in very damp Chicago right now and went by Toyota Park and if you want to know what it would be like to play in the middle of nowhere; that's it right there.

Grid iron lines are solved.. you repaint then wash off .. using latex water based paints.. I believe FieldTurf has product to be used...

quote:Originally posted by ChrisB

I don't think it is as simple as "Melnyk owns the land - he gets to build the stadium" - The city will (presumably) need to look at traffic/environmental impacts etc...

I notice that the land across from the War Museum has had a placard up for a year stating that the site is reserved for a cultural institution. Maybe a soccer stdium is the culural institution? ;)

Now your starting to get it .. the land is there and yes Sport and Culture are one and the same in government parlance. Rememeber there is still lots of demand for services to assist events like blues fest etc.. a stadia with restaurants and bars etc.. it all fits.. and Melynk can have second pitch for community use and as training sight letting the stadia be natural turf. The area is already a National Sport Training Centre... for Kayak..

quote:Originally posted by ottawasportsfan2010

Its not just hockey support well concerts/cis sports etc.Again i am not sure if it would work in kanata.But there are areas they would have to stay away from such as low rent areas and so on.They need to be in a area where you have a mix of people with money to burn and blue collars workers.One probelam downtown is the people who live there not all but some don't like noise or anything like that.Lets not forget kanata is growing and 10-20 years from now could be and likely will be very different.As for the low rent areas for the most part people can just afford there bills.Would they have enough to go to a game.Its nopthing aginst the areas its just where is the best place for the stadium.

Chuckles.. what low rent area are you concerned about .. seriously prime sights are available .. Lebreton at the end of Preston, the Trainyards development of St. Laurent, Lansdowne if Melynk can get join the group there.. ( which he could if he wanted ). Key is public transit, available parking, ancillary venues such as restaurants and bars... land deals can be done in all locations withing the budgetting already menitioned...

I dont think Tuesday will bring and announcement of where the stadia will be.. as a final decision.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Again, catering to the wrong market. One of the reasons the 67s continue to do well is that transportation to and from the game is very easy. People can make it downtown no problem. They can find a bar on Bank St. and then walk to the game. This is all but impossible for Scotiabank place.

And how is it possible that the Flats is less ideal for people than Scotiabank place? These same Lebreton Flats which are right on the transitway (and the O-Train don't forget) and a 15-20 minute walk from Bronson, Preston, Bank and just around the corner from Westboro? That makes no sense.

True enough. The flats is the single most viable chunk of land to put any kind of soccer stadium in Ottawa at. Bar none. Full stop. OC Transpo, O-Train, Parkway, FUTURE Light Rail Transit, Bordering Downtown, Bordering Westboro and it's Bars, Access from Gatineau, Central location. also hence why it's such valuable property and i believe the NCC owns it.

SPB doesn't even come close to that location.. how can you compare them Sportsfan? I live in the west end, Pinecrest/417 and truly I can get to SPB really fast by car, and faster then to the Flats but the two locations just don't compare.

You keep saying look how big Kanata/Stitsville/Barhaven is gonna be.. come on.. it won't be as big as inside the greenbelt Nepean, Ottawa, Gloucester, Orleans, and Gatineau will it? Not to mention Riverside south just across the Rideau from Barrhaven is a hop skip and a jump from the O-Train at the airport that passes through the flats and the airport parkway that takes you right to Bronson. Also not a far route for a Barrhaven driver when they finally get that Barrhaven/Riverside south bridge built.

Since when is putting a stadium on the outskirts of one end of a city's suburbs ever as good as putting it in a central location?

KIbby

Your missing what i am saying.The stadium should be where people can afford to go.You don't want to be in a area where people can just afford to put meals on there table.Kanata may not be the rights choice but there is alot of money in the area which you have to concider.The falts would be nice but there is alot of new building beeing bult downtown and i am not sure if the flats is still avaible.

quote:Originally posted by peachgrinder

Thank you for highlighting this: Traffic and environmental aspects are not a concern for building by Scotiabank Place. This was a holdup to getting the 'Palladium' built, and if it is using the same infrastructure the city will be all over it, rather than have to go through another situation in another area.

As well, the 417 has been expanded into Kanata...

We'll see on Tuesday.

PEACH

Peach - I think the Environmental issue is the big one. Look at the current fiasco around the Kanata West development, that will be held up for another year or so as the City realises that all of its impact statements re completely off. A new stadium with huge parking lot will have major effects on runoff into the Carp River.

I mean, I don't dispute the right of Melnyk to try and build the staium wherever he wants, but I do not think he should have carte blanche to do so. The city has to factor in its Official COmmunity plan and its goal of creating a ivable downtown and reducing traffic. A stadium in LeBreton Flats or at Frank Clair suits all of the objectives the city claims to want. A stadium in Kanata has none of the advantages.

And, I live in the Glebe (from my kitchen I see the stands at Frank Clair). I am not at all certain that the residents are against a stadium. We just want the parking lot gone.

A good spot would be Rockliffe Park. A small thermonuclear device set off to clear out the present riff-raff (similar to Vancouver's downtown crack whores and scum), then rebuild. Perfect location.

quote:Originally posted by Kibby

Ya they want a park... like they aren't already beside the Canal and Dow's lake. friggin' NIMBYs

Hey, I just say anything but an empty parking lot. I want the stadim rebuilt. I want stores. I want a farmers market. I want some green space added to the canal pathway.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

How many people usually show up at Ottawa Fury PDL or W-League games?

five hundred to maybe fifteen hundred for a playoff..etc.. but you cant equate the attendance unless you look at the Lynx and what they drew before MLS....

Reality is changing .. right venue, right marketing and you will get your fifteen to twenty thousand per game at fifteen to twenty dollars average ticket.

I guess we'll see tomorrow morning, but I don't think it should be a surprise that Melnyk is really not looking at the Landsdowne Park situation. He's not a dumb guy and he has already been down that road. After the 2nd Glieberman CFL fiasco, he was begged to save the Renegades. He looked at the books and determined the only way to come close to breaking even would be to buy the stadium, refurbish it, manage it properly. City council said no and Melnyk walked away. City council (a bigger group of losers, I have rarely seen) prefer to keep it publicly-owned and let the stadium decay because they don't have the budget to operate it or rebuild it into something more appealing for use. I can not overstate the incompetence of our municipal government and I'll share my favourite Landsdown Park example-- The city, charging the Renegades $8,000/game in rent, failed to clean the field or washrooms for a game TWO WEEKS after a Rolling Stones concert. The players were being tackled into piles of cigarette butts and other debris.

Anyways, I have seen too many projects go down the tubes in this city to have any hope that the Landsdowne Park situation will be resolved in the next decade. The polls done in the Glebe all suggest 60 to 70 percent of residents want the stadium torn down completely, as events there (or even the threat of holding events there) greatly disrupt their lives and brings all manner of riff-raff to the neighbourhood....Good luck to Jeff Hunt and the developers who hold the rights to Ottawa's CFL franchise. They could be in for a long wait for a resolution.

I agree that Kanata is not the best location in several ways but if Melnyk wants a shovel in the ground on this project before 2020, it might be his best bet. He also apparently was looking at some of the Rideau Carleton Raceway land in the south end at one point a few years back for this sort of stadium, but that was prior to the collapse of the plans to build light rail out to that area.

Wherever the stadium is built and whether he attracts MLS or USL, I'll be first in line.

Ok just got back from the press conference.

Stadium Location: Kanata next the SBP, on land owned by the Senators.

Stadium: Designed by Rosetti, U Shaped with a covered stage at the south end. Roofs over the East and West stands, none over North. Melnyk said it will seat 30,000. Roy Maklar said 20,000 to 30,000. Natural grass pitch which is heated due to climate. 5 Pitches outside.

Funding: not sure on this, but they mentioned talking to government. Doesn't look like the plan right now is to fully fund this themselves but they have to have plans set fully by Oct 15. $100,000,000 for stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

He's got the dough, Ottawa would link up nicely with Toronto and Montreal and some American cities, it would allow the CFL to have a new home in the Capital...it won't be this year, but I think he's a shoe-in for the next couple of years.

If In do recall, Eugene Melnyk was aiming for the 2012 or 2013 entry into MLS. I remember that he mentioned this somewhere in one of these threads.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

If In do recall, Eugene Melnyk was aiming for the 2012 or 2013 entry into MLS. I remember that he mentioned this somewhere in one of these threads.

Ya that's what he originally said, 2013. They obviously felt that had a shot at the bid process for 2011 when it was announced, perhaps encouraged by the competition or the MLS head offices.

I just saw the CBC article on the stadium (I'm in Chicago right now so don't know how things are going down back home). Anyways, all I can say is good luck to Melnyk and hope he gets his team. It would be a good thing for Canadian soccer and that's the most important thing right now.

However, I will not hide my disappointment (and slight anger) that the proposed stadium will be out in the "west end"; it may still be easier for me to get to Saputo/BMO from my place.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I just saw the CBC article on the stadium (I'm in Chicago right now so don't know how things are going down back home). Anyways, all I can say is good luck to Melnyk and hope he gets his team. It would be a good thing for Canadian soccer and that's the most important thing right now.

However, I will not hide my disappointment (and slight anger) that the proposed stadium will be out in the "west end"; it may still be easier for me to get to Saputo/BMO from my place.

I have to admit that I am very surprised at this. I went on OC Transpo's "travel planner", trying to get from King-Edward / Rideau to SBP, and it takes apparently... AN HOUR AND 15 MINUTES?! I did specify to be there before 6h00 on a tuesday, but holy crap!

Could this be accurate? I mean, the busses do have their own lane on the 416 right? How could it take that long (even with the closest stop being a 20 minute walk away).

Archived