jordan

Recieved this email today

-----Original Message-----

On Behalf Of

Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:56 AM

To:

Subject: [Executive] MLS in Ottawa - Press Conference

Importance: High

Eugene Melnyk and Senators Sports & Entertainment are launching a bid to bring a Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion franchise to Ottawa. We would like to invite you and any interested members of your soccer club to attend a media conference where Mr. Melnyk will be outlining the Ottawa MLS bid along with plans for a new stadium.

Please forward this invitation to members of your club executive as well as any interested coaches, players and parents.

When: Tuesday, September 16 at 9am

Where: Scotiabank Place - Gate 1 lobby

SHOW YOUR COLOURS

There is an opportunity for youth players from your club to participate in a photo opportunity as part of the media conference. If your club is interested in having youth players participate in the media conference in their team jerseys, please contact Kathy Downs by 4:00pm on Friday, September 12 at downsk@ottawasenators.com or at 613-599-0205.

In addition, at Tuesday's media conference Mr. Melnyk will be unveiling a bid website and a bid logo. The bid website will include a supporters section, where people can register to support the Ottawa bid. We will forward the bid logo and link to the website on Tuesday morning, and would ask that you consider posting this information on your club website, along with distributing the supporters link to your club coaches, players, parents and members.

Thank you and we hope to see you Tuesday!

Director of Strategic Development

Ottawa Senators Hockey Club &

Scotiabank Place

www.OttawaSenators.com

www.ScotiabankPlace.com

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

I wouldn't exactly say Melnyk has a big lead over Saputo at this point.

I wasn't saying that, I just meant that if Melynk is serious about going forward with this Saputo better start putting a better bid towards the MLS.

The Citizen now has a story up on this, with not much additional info:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=f901200c-2128-4c95-a645-3d11e6b5a936

-----------

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk has revealed plans to build a "world-class" stadium in Ottawa and to officially launch a bid to land a Major League Soccer franchise for the city.

Melnyk has already stated his intention to go after a franchise, which will cost at least $40 million U.S. Tuesday's announcement will make it official.

In order to land a franchise, Melnyk will need to offer a soccer-specific venue for 20,000 fans. Toronto's BMO Field, which seats a little over 20,000, has sold out every home game since it opened its gates for the 2007 season - Toronto FC's first

MLS presently has 14 teams - including Toronto FC - and has announced plans to slowly increase that number to 20 or even 24. Seattle has been granted a franchise next year and Philadelphia is expected to join in 2010.

There is already solid interest from five other U.S. venues - Miami, Atlanta, Portland, St. Louis and a second franchise ( backed by basketball's New York Mets) in New York.

In addition, there are strong claims from two Canadian cities. Montreal, which has its own new soccer-specific stadium that presently seats a little under14,000 but has been designed for easy expansion to an expected 20,000. Saputo Stadium opened this spring. It is the venue for the Montreal Impact, which presently plays in the U.S. League, the next professional tier below MLS.

Vancouver Whitecaps also plays in the USL and is officially chasing an MLS franchise.

MLS is bad for Canadian soccer....this is not good news in my mind. I'd rather see Ottawa join USL and be able to run their business as they see fit rather than within the impossible restrictions of MLS. Montreal and Vancouver should save their money and stay in USL as well.

has anyone wondered what will happen to the Whitecaps residency program if they join MLS. the current program doesn't conform to MLS rules....just wondering. would they run a farcical MLS approved academy program and then have their residency program operate as a seperate entity? Just curious.

I wonder how long it will take Montopoli to abondon the good ship CSA for the top football position within Senators Sports & Entertainment. Might be a reasonable explanation for the frequent meetings between Montopoli and Mlakar.

I'm gonna speculate that once we're formally eliminated from South Africa, Montopoli puts his exit plan into high gear.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I suspect the location will be at the end of Preston Street near the O Train terminal within walking distance of downtown Hull and the Paper mills..

Really? everything i've heard is putting it next to Scotia bank place (which is a huge mistake imo).

Your location sounds much better.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

I wonder how long it will take Montopoli to abondon the good ship CSA for the top football position within Senators Sports & Entertainment.

I would think he'd have to know something about the likelihood of the success of the Ottawa MLS that the rest of us don't before he (or anyone) would take that position.

I'm not saying he doesn't know something we don't know, mind you.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

I'm gonna speculate that once we're formally eliminated from South Africa, Montopoli puts his exit plan into high gear.

would not surprise me one bit....he's got no contract so he owes the CSA nothing. 2 weeks notice and he's gone.

The Ottawa Sun has indicated that it will be in Kanata by Scotiabank Place. As much as I would love it to be in the city or downtown (that Preston idea is fabulous), if Melnyk builds it with his own money he can put it where he wants. It can work, but it won't necessarily be easy. Thankfully the infrastructure is in place in terms of ticketing, etc. with Capital Tickets.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/09/13/6752836-sun.html

Jamboal

1)Ottawa is not a bad sports town as you think.Take the sens avg 19,000 a game then the 67s 7,000 and olympics 3500 per game.The you add the cis sports get solid support.Ottawa was second in attendance only to montreal in the world under 20s.The world jrs hockey championships are 95% sold out.

2)As a rulke when someone says that place is in the middle of no where.The means very little housing etc.Kanata is not that at all.As of now there is about 300,000 houses within a 15 minute drive.Kanata is just going to get bigger.

3)Ya ok 1.1 million people leave the city on the weekend sure.

4)At one point they said it would not work in toronto but it has.So never say never.

To those saying is a bad choice.Keep in mind a good number of sbc goers live in kanata and for the most part can afford the $$ tickets.The stadium needs to be built in areas where there is alots of money..

Archived