Canadians abroad: July 25 - August 7, 2008

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 25 - August 7, 2008.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sport

Football: Edgar is hungry for more action

By LEE RYDER

398 words

24 July 2008

The Evening Chronicle, Newcastle

English

© 2008 The Newcastle Chronicle & Journal Ltd

United defender hoping for friendly run-out

NEWCASTLE United defender David Edgar will be hoping for another slice of action during Saturday's trip to Doncaster Rovers.

The Canadian youth international has been building up his fitness for the new campaign following a hernia operation during the summer.

Edgar finished last season in the first-team pool under Kevin Keegan, and was handed starts in the home game with Reading and the trip to West Ham - where he ended the game dripping with blood following a collision with Carlton Cole.

And after going through surgery in the summer before recovering in his native Kitchener, Edgar returned early to make sure he was back to full match fitness in time for the new campaign.

And after playing for over an hour of the opener at Hartlepool at the weekend, he admits the hard work is paying off.

He told the Chronicle: "It's going well and I've played a little longer than I expected to already.

"Now I'm hoping to build on that at Doncaster.

"The aim is to stay fit and challenge because it's a long season and you just want to keep pushing the gaffer."

United will take in a new ground in the shape of the Keepmoat Stadium with some familiar faces lying in wait.

Former Toon Academy and reserve trio Ben Smith, James Coppinger and Lewis Guy are all on the books of Donny, and the Yorkshire club have Tomi Ameobi, brother of Shola, also in line to play in the game at some stage.

Edgar added: "We know some of the guys who are going to be playing and it will be a tough pre-season game.

"Doncaster have just been promoted and they'll be looking to get something started there.

"I think it will be a good test for us."

And Edgar is looking forward to another rousing reception from the Toon Army who turned out in force for the game at Hartlepool last weekend to roar the Magpies on to a 4-1 win.

Edgar said: "The fans were special at Hartlepool, even though it was only a friendly.

"But we know what to expect from them. I think it will be good for them to see another ground at the weekend when they go to Doncaster."

Barnet 0 Leeds 2

Haber off the bench on 69 mins.

Crawley Town 0 v 1 Arsenal XI

Rayner starts not sure yet how many minutes he played

Doncaster 1 Newcastle Utd 0

Edgar off the bench on 64 mins

Ipswich Town 2 West Brom 1

Peters off the bench on 77 mins

Rotherham Utd 1 Barnsley 0

No Hume

Gillingham 0 Birmingham City 2

Jackson plays 90 mins

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Chimbonda has been sold from Spurs to Sunderland. Stalteri seemed to lose his spot after Chimbonda arrived, so maybe he can reclaim it.

I'm not too optimistic of that happening, though I read somewhere that the first choice RB, Alan Hutton, may be hurt. If so, it will certainly help Stalteri's claim.

I'd rather see him playing first team football than sitting on the Spurs' bench. It's too bad the Fulham thing didn't pan out for this upcoming season.

Ramos hasn't been seeking cover at RB so far this but with losing Chimbonda and Taino guys he had covering at RB last year he has to show his cards now and either assign Stalteri as first choice backup or move his salary and bring in a new backup

Here is the Norwegian scoring race prior to todays match. OO is now third in scoring:

11mål: Thorstein Helstad, Brann

9mål: Daniel Nannskog, Stabæk

8mål: Gardar Jóhannsson, Fredrikstad

7mål: Espen Hoff, Lyn

Steffen Iversen, Rosenborg

José Mota, Molde

6mål: Alanzinho, Stabæk

Johan Andersson, Stabæk

Morten Moldskred, Tromsø

Olivier Occean, Lillestrøm

Arild Sundgot, Lillestrøm

Feyenoord After Friend?

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=791790

25/07/2008 21:57

Feyenoord After Friend?

Feyenoord are reportedly hot on the trail of Canadian hitman Rob Friend. According to Bild the Rotterdam based team already made an offer for the striker to Borussia Mönchengladbach...

Feyenoord are on the verge of signing Canadian striker Rob Friend. The Dutch giants are looking to strengthen their squad with a targetman.

The 27-year-old striker played in the Eredivisie for SC Heerenveen and Heracles before moving to Germany. However, Friend was unable to impress in his first spell in Holland, netting only eight goals in 31 appearances.

Friend moved to German 2. Bundesliga team Borussia Mönchengladbach to relaunch his career and immediately made a big impact. The Canadian international managed to net eighteen goals in 33 matches, contributing heavily to his team’s promotion to the Bundesliga.

Feyenoord are reported to have offered an exchange deal, with surplus to requirements midfielder Danny Buijs moving to Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Buijs came through the Feyenoord youth academy and played for Excelsior and FC Groningen before returning to De Kuip. After returning to the Rotterdam side, though, he was never able to reach the level he reached at the 'Pride of the North' and he was told to move on.

Stefan Coerts

http://www.football365.fr/la-une/article_254041_Feyenoord-Friend-sur-les-tablettes.shtml

Feyenoord : Friend sur les tablettes

Rédaction 365 - dimanche 27 juillet 2008 - 18h43 Rob Friend, l’attaquant international canadien du Borussia Mönchengladbach, intéresserait les néerlandais de Feyenoord.

Feyenoord songerait à Rob Friend (27 ans, Borussia Mönchengladbach) pour étoffer sa ligne d’attaque. Sous contrat jusqu’en juin 2012, l’international canadien aurait également des pistes en Angleterre.

R.L.

And:

http://legioen.web-log.nl/index/2008/07/rob-friend-naar.html

I only hope it's not true...

No way. Friend won't do well in Holland we have already seen that.

Gladbach is a great club for Friend, he is going to get minutes at a very good club in a league better than the dutch league. Plus Germany suits him much better than Holland.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

No way. Friend won't do well in Holland we have already seen that.

Gladbach is a great club for Friend, he is going to get minutes at a very good club in a league better than the dutch league. Plus Germany suits him much better than Holland.

Well, when he was with Heerenveen he was behind Alves who was a scoring machine in the dutch league. I'm not sure Holland would be bad for him but I agree with your general feeling that he should stay with BM at the moment.

BTW, coming from goal.com I always take that kind of news with a grain of salt.

Italy-

Uccello has signed with Casale Calcio of Serie D Division 'A '

http://www.casalecalcio.it/site/ultimissime.php?prev=&newsid=1059

His first test against a Serie A team Reggina yesterday

http://www.casalecalcio.it/site/ultimissime.php?prev=&newsid=1061

http://replica.presstoday.com/tuttosport/articolo.php?id=6840151&sez=1133163

He played in the second half in losing cause of a score 2-1. Good outing for the team and their first test in their first exbition game.

Archived