Name Your Dark Horses for WCQ

The Beaver

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Edgar and Jakovic will be our CB's in South Africa ;)

Jakovic isnt a center back though.

That is the only reason I didnt choose him as a dark horse, very unlikely he can break through in the midfield

Im gonna say Legerwood, if he can secure the starting dmid role for 1860 and play well, it could give us the option of sliding him beside JDG and moving Hutchison back to the wing where he is more effective.

quote:Originally posted by Kye

Im gonna say Legerwood, if he can secure the starting dmid role for 1860 and play well, it could give us the option of sliding him beside JDG and moving Hutchison back to the wing where he is more effective.

Even if Ledgerwood started for 1860 he would still be low on the depth chart though.

I mean Imhof would still be ahead of him. Bernier might still be ahead of him, then you have others like Ornoch and Nsaliwa (if he sorts his papers out) who might be ahead of Nik.

Ledgerwood could be nice if Stalteri was injured or suspended as he can play right back.

quote:Originally posted by Kye

A few years ago, FY said that Nik would be the next young player to break into the senior team, unfortunately, injuries have slowed Nik's rise at club and NT level.

I we keep playing with DeRo centrally (as much as he stays anywhere) and with Issey Radz wide, I think Simpson has a real shot of being the guy on the left side of the attack. De Jong's also obviously in the mix . . .

and if we go back to three two-way holding mids (with DeGuzman and Hutchinson) I think that does open the door for Ledgerwood. Certainly moreso in his new position. If Tam gets his papers sorted then its a no-brainer, but if not . . . Bernier hasn't been sharp and needs games, Imhof's on the other side of 30 (which is one thing if you're established like DeRo or Stalteri) . . . He would offer young legs, solid defence and better touch on the ball than a lot of our options.

I don't think you can say Ledgerwood is that far down the depth when Nash started in that role at the last Gold Cup and we used Kevin Harmse there off the bench in qualifying.

I don't rate Ornoch at all.

cheers,

matthew

How about Simeon Jackson. He had a cracker season in the conference. A regular starter that put the ball in the back of the net with ease. I have not heard a peep from him since the U20 tourney. Is there any chance we will see him?

D'Agostino is a guy I forgot about who seems to be on the rise, and he's a right sided player, so we'll see how things go for him during league play in the fall. Jackson is the kind of fleet-footed player I wouldn't mind seeing emerge in our striker mix for the future, but in the goal scoring department at club level he's going to have to be "on fire," so to speak, before he gets a call up.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Jakovic isnt a center back though.

That is the only reason I didnt choose him as a dark horse, very unlikely he can break through in the midfield

His preference may be to play as an attacking midfielder (and he used to play striker as a youth), but it may not be his choice. He was moved to CB at UAB the first 2 years, and Dasovic did the same for the Olympic team. It's up to Red Star to figure out how they're going to use him. I'm waiting on his reply and he should reveal this week what Red Star has planned for him. If they're placing him in the midfield, then i agree, better to use someone else who is playing CB at the club level. But if they like him at the Back and he's getting PT, i'd consider him a pretty good option.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

D'Agostino is a guy I forgot about who seems to be on the rise, and he's a right sided player, so we'll see how things go for him during league play in the fall. Jackson is the kind of fleet-footed player I wouldn't mind seeing emerge in our striker mix for the future, but in the goal scoring department at club level he's going to have to be "on fire," so to speak, before he gets a call up.

One Cheltenham fan said that if Blackpool don't start him they are retarded or something along those lines. And another fan said that they think D'Agostino should be in the Premier League. He is really skilled and maybe in a couple seasons he could be in the EPL who knows.

Rosenlund! I wanna see 2 Gauchos in the freakin World Cup!

If he gets more PT with Toronto (got his first start the other day, I think), he has the potential to get in the mix. The 2014 campaign would be more likely, though.

Archived