Name Your Dark Horses for WCQ

The Beaver

I'm talking players here, specifically those who are not part of the core 15 or so who may still play a role in qualifying down the long stretch. (I am praying for a long stretch.) If, just say, we get to the hex, who outside of the core 15--and I won't name that core because it will be more fun NOT to do so--might still step up and play a role?

Peters? Edgar? Gyaki? Ledgerwood? Belotte? Somebody else entirely?

Well they won't surprise anyone partially because I am picking three but my picks would be : David Edgar- If he gets a loan or simply playing time with Newcastle he could go a very long way toward solidifying the middle of the park which at this point is a massive question mark.

Jaime Peters- All the potential in the world even after a disapointing U-20 tourny and an apparently poor club season. At the end of his club season he was playing a new position and having some success and has had some pre season success with Ipswich.

My biggest dark horse pick is Will Johnson- Will could be the guy to add some offensive depth to our squad. After our starters and then Hume we are lacking attacking/creative options but that is just what Will Johnson is. He has shown an ability to score goals throughout his young career and appears able to create things for himself, could be massively important for us if injuries play any part in the campaign or when we qualify for the hex.

Fun thread topic, Beaver, especially for a slow summer night.

Right now, in time for this round, I would like to see some legitimate competition and cover at RB so I'm going to guess that someone with experience in that position could find himself a place in the squad. Could be Ledgerwood, though from preseason reports he appears to be playing the holding mid role.

We have a lot of left sided options in midfield and fullback so I think a natural right sider has a chance to make a breakthrough on that side of midfield if we get to the Hex. Unless Peters fulfills his potential and establishes himself as a consistent first teamer at Ipswich this year, I would rather see Johnson get a shot if he is playing regularly. I don't know enough about Ornoch but if he's also a regular starter with his club side, you never know?

Guys guys guys....

Michael D'Agostino! He will be playing regular CCC football this year and as an attacking right midfielder. Which is a question mark in our squad. either him or David Edgar if he plays CCC or EPL ball.

Other than him Ornoch, Peters (if he plays CCC ball), Ledgerwood (getting impressive minutes in Munich but in a position we are already filled in), Johnson (good preseason so far with Heerenveen a good sized club)

Canadian fans seem to be really high on Ornoch right now, and rightfully so as he had a great U23 Olympic qualifying tourny, but I think Will Johnson was our U23 MVP.

Johnson had a solid season last year on loan, and seems to be having a good preseason with Heerenveen. He keeps developing and improving, which is very important.

So my darkhorse is Will Johnson!

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Canadian fans seem to be really high on Ornoch right now, and rightfully so as he had a great U23 Olympic qualifying tourny, but I think Will Johnson was our U23 MVP.

Johnson had a solid season last year on loan, and seems to be having a good preseason with Heerenveen. He keeps developing and improving, which is very important.

So my darkhorse is Will Johnson!

true man. Ornoch is just such a skilled player and playing regular minutes and scoring.

After the Olympic Quals Johnson played awesome for De Graafschap even scoring his first two goals. I am sure he will get his share of minutes for Heerenveen this season

Joey Torchia! Someone had to say it. Or how about this scenario, Mitchell is fired, Yallop returns and Corrazin scores 10 goals in 3 games in front of a solid defence anchored by Watson to propel us to the Hex. My serious pick would be Peters. With Rostock demoted to the 2nd BL, Gyaki is not even playing with their first team in preseason so I doubt there is much chance of him playing with the national team.

I'm going on hype here, never having seen him play. But if B-2 teams are after Hoillett(sp) maybe we might have a Yallop moment and see him with the senior team. Although I have to agree with bearcatsa that the most likely spot to ceate an opening for a suprise is RB if Stalteri is injured, suspended or presured out then there is no obvious back up.

Since I'm assuming Friend is penciled into most Vs 1st team already I'd say Johnson and/or de Jong.

You can imagine Peters being drawn to the bench just for the late greyhound sub role, but I think Johnson is more likely. More tools at his disposal but certainly not Peters speed, which is odviously quite unique.

Unless Edgar has a WAY more active year in '08-'09 he isn't in for the 1st team. Sure Mitch has mostly settled on his defense and there is no room in midfield for Edgar.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Not a very original pick, but Will Johnson. This guy looked fantastic playing with the U-23's and he was 3 years under the age limit. A real class player with a lot of skill going forward.

2 years under the age limit. But I agree

If Edgar, Peters, Johnson, Lensky or Hoilett all garner starting places with their clubs and perform well there, they all would launch themselves into contention. Edgar as he is a central back where we are weak, the other 4 as they can all play on the wings in a 4-3-3 and assuming DeRo plays more centrally we are not that deep there. Radz is ageing, Nakajima-Farran is good but i doubt scares anyone, its not the best position for Hume, and Simpson needs a good run his side himself to make a claim for that position.

Ornoch in my opinion has too many people in front of him in the midfield (DeRo, DeGuzman, Hutchinson, Bernier, Imoff) to make a serious claim unless he has an unbelievable season.

Nsaliwa to me is in the side (probably ahead of Bernier) if he can get his passport sorted out. He can play centrally in the midfield, or centre back. He can also play right back (where we need cover for Staleri) and even Right wing (especially, if you needed a left full back shut down). I think he would be a great guy to have on the bench for that reason.

Archived