Canada 2 Panama 2

FootieFool

Here is the CSA report and (limited) match tracker:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1232

Canada : Panama (Match tracker / Le film du match)

Canada pulled even 2:2 for a draw with Panama in its international friendly in Sunrise, FL. The Canucks scored first, but were then down 2-1 before Ante Jazic score the equaliser with just eight minutes remaining.

The match kicked off at 17.00 under a blazing sun with temperatures reaching the high 90s (low 30s in Celsius).

Canada's Jaime Peters opened the scoring in the 20th minute as he headed home from close range following a corner kick from Patrice Bernier. Teenager Peters had replaced Tomasz Radzinski in the ninth minute after the veteran suffered a foot injury. Radzinski was taken off as a precaution with the injury considered not serious.

Just before half, the Central Americans evened the score after they were awarded a penalty decision off a corner kick. Canuck Richard Hastings was judged to have held a jersey.

Canadian head coach Dale Mitchell made several changes at the half in order to see as much of his lineup as possible. Ali Gerba came on up front for Rob Friend while Jim Brennan came on for Patrice Bernier and was slotted into the left back position. Ante Jazic came on for Marcel De Jong and played wide left while Adrian Cann and Andre Hainault replaced Adrian Serioux and Richard Hastings at centre back. Mike Klukowski moved into centre midfield alongside Atiba Hutchinson with Issey Nakajima-Farran playing wide right. Peters stayed on underneath Gerba.

Panama, however, scored early after the restart to make it 2-1.

Tam Nsaliwa then replaced captain Paul Stalteri in the 65th minute. Almost 15 minutes later, the Canadians earned a deserved equaliser after Nsaliwa found Jazic with an excellent cross. Jazic was able to volley home.

Both Canada and Panama are busy making preparations for this month's FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. Canada will face Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on 15 June (Kingstown) and 20 June (Montreal).

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Want to elaborate on that? What the heck is FIFA competition in your eyes?

Martinique are not a country and not recognized as such by FIFA. And yes, I'm concerned. But the players appear to have things under control. Still, I would have appreciated a victory against Panama. My rationalization though is that this match meant a lot more for Panama than for us in the sense that their series with El Salvador will be tough. This is one reason I can think of why the friendly was closed door.

I think the friendly was closed-doors in order to reduce costs for both teams. A lot less costly to play in a field next to hotel than to rent out a stadium in a neutral country & expect to sell any tickets.

As for Mitchell's record, it's his record against Concacaf opposition that I'm more concerned with, and when you take into account U20 qualifiers and the three Concacaf friendlies we've played, he's actually un-defeated.

Ignoring the U20s, one man's undefeated is another man's winless. :)

The performance against Brasil has given me new hope for Mitch's reign. It's stressful though when you don't have confidence in the manager. Maybe Canada is really progessing and the new generation will be even better in the push toward 2014. However, what if this is our Golden generation? DeGuzman, Friend, Klukowski, Nsaliwa are all coming into their own and this is likely their last chance at a WC. Hopefully they're less nervous about it than I am.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

However, what if this is our Golden generation? DeGuzman, Friend, Klukowski, Nsaliwa are all coming into their own and this is likely their last chance at a WC.

I think all four of those players will be around in four years time. They were all born in 81 or 82, they are not that old. If cycle of players from four years earlier are still around (Stalteri, Brennan, De Ro etc. all born in 77 or 78) for 2010 why wouldn't those born four years later not still be around for 2014?

Well whether some of the armchair quarterbacks out there believe Stalteri & co. are currently crap is another argument altogether. Right now they are currently part of the squad, they are still playing at a high level, and I would expect them to still be in the mix by the time we qualify (assuming we do).

Want to elaborate on that? What the heck is FIFA competition in your eyes?

Well, defeating a Danish Second division team, and Martinique(who like Guadeloupe, are not a real FIFA nation) means that we have not defeated another FIFA nation under Mitchell's reign.

Am I being negative? Yes. But when are the results going to come? If we beat SVAG 1-0, and 1-0, is that enough?

2-0 on aggregate is fine with me if the performance is reasonably organized and composed. If it requires scrambly kick and chase, then I would seriously consider a new manager and arranging a couple friendlies before the August 20 match (the latter I would do regardless).

I will say this for Mitchell and his pals at the CSA: this cycle has been better organised than last time around. 2004 we had a match against Wales, the SJ Earthquakes and B friendlies against Hearts & Millwall. In 2008, at least we've played these two prep matches against FIFA nations, in addition to the Estonia, Martinique and Danish club match. Not to mention Mitchell had the squad for three matches in 2007.

Will it be enough to overcome our group though. I can't believe we called Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala the "Group of Death" last time around. :)

Well I am optimistic about Mitchell now as it appears he is putting our best 11 on the field (or at least did against Brazil).

Remember last time round Yallop had the gall to select 2 USL players (Watson, Pizzolito), 2 guys with virtually NO experience (Simpson and Peters) and a past-due-date striker (Pesch) at the expense of valid Euro-based players (Nsaliwa - never even asked, Brennan, Klukowski, Hastings, etc etc).

And, in regard to the post above, Group 2 was the group of death last time round. Certainly stronger ranking wise (at the time) than Group 1 and of course Group 3 was an absolute joke.

Group 1: USA(2), Jamaica(4), El Salvador(11), Panama(13)

Group 2: Costa Rica(3), Honduras(5), Guatemala(9), Canada(10)

Group 3: Mexico(1), T&T(6), St. KAN(14), St. VAG(20)

Group 2 was the only group guaranteeing 2 top 10 teams out before the hex.

Of course, our group THIS time round is even more top heavy.

You forgot Corrazin's "Swansong at Swanguard" vs CR!

I agree, Ed. There's really no surprising exclusions from his squad selection like we saw with the absence of guys like Klukowski or Brennan from Yallop's team. And even if we had a sudden injury crisis, we still have much better young European-based options (Johnson, Edgar or possibly Ornoch) who could (and should) come in ahead of any USL guys.

These players believe they can go the distance under Mitchell. They are showing faith in him and that counts for quite a bit. Right now, our crew is incredibly optimistic about their chances of 2010. If they didn't think Mitchell had it in him, morale would be dropping instead of rising right now.

As for his record, I think he has been using these Friendlies to really check out his lineup. I think we saw his potential starting 11 for Brazil because, well, it was high profile and it was Brazil. For the other matches this past year he has really mixed up players, positions and formations - in essence, doing exactly what a new Manager has to do in order to get his team ready for a major competition.

In my opinion, the proof of Mitchell's leadership and ability will be WCQ. Until these games get going, I'm reserving judgement and standing behind him.

quote:Originally posted by FootieFool

These players believe they can go the distance under Mitchell. They are showing faith in him and that counts for quite a bit. Right now, our crew is incredibly optimistic about their chances of 2010. If they didn't think Mitchell had it in him, morale would be dropping instead of rising right now.

As for his record, I think he has been using these Friendlies to really check out his lineup. I think we saw his potential starting 11 for Brazil because, well, it was high profile and it was Brazil. For the other matches this past year he has really mixed up players, positions and formations - in essence, doing exactly what a new Manager has to do in order to get his team ready for a major competition.

In my opinion, the proof of Mitchell's leadership and ability will be WCQ. Until these games get going, I'm reserving judgement and standing behind him.

I agree with your sentiments but you're being a tad charitable. Mitchell crapped the bed at the U20 WC and then threw his players under the bus. He might be a better manager than Yallop, but that still might not be enough to get us through. I've supported the guy in the past, but I don't think we should justify his record or remain silent if the performance against St VAG isn't what it should be.

Well the players at the U20 deserved it. Are you criticizing his team selection or subs? Because, sorry, he isn't under 20 and couldn't do it ON the field. The players crapped the bed, not the staff.

There were player selection issues, such as keeping KOA on the bench and, as recently as this match with Brasil, substitution problems under Mitchell, such keeping Radz on the pitch at least 5 minutes too long. I'm not absolving the U20 players, but Mitchell is the leader. He's in charge. Managers take the blame, rightly or wrongly. He should have accepted his share. His record with the MNT against FIFA opposition is 0-3-3. Player's fault?

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

You forgot Corrazin's "Swansong at Swanguard" vs CR!

I agree, Ed. There's really no surprising exclusions from his squad selection like we saw with the absence of guys like Klukowski or Brennan from Yallop's team. And even if we had a sudden injury crisis, we still have much better young European-based options (Johnson, Edgar or possibly Ornoch) who could (and should) come in ahead of any USL guys.

I'd be a bit more cautious about "surprising exclusions" at this point. As I recall, which may well be wrong, we had a strong squad in Kingston for the two games against Belize. It wasn't until the next stage in August that the jaw dropping decisions started. There's still plenty of time for DM to decide that Pesch, Jacovic, Hoillet and Kenny are just the thing that this team needs. Granted, it doesn't seem likely but then again who would have foreseen FY's choices?

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I agree with your sentiments but you're being a tad charitable. Mitchell crapped the bed at the U20 WC and then threw his players under the bus.

Granted, this years U20 WC was a mess, but there were lots of high points for the u20 team as well leading up to the tourny (like beating Brazil). Mitchell also took the U20's to the QuarterFinals at the 2003 U20 WC and just about upset Spain to go to the semi's.

quote:I've supported the guy in the past, but I don't think we should justify his record or remain silent if the performance against St VAG isn't what it should be.

I am with you. The proof of Mitchell's reign still remains to be seen.

quote:Originally posted by ken

I'd be a bit more cautious about "surprising exclusions" at this point. As I recall, which may well be wrong, we had a strong squad in Kingston for the two games against Belize. It wasn't until the next stage in August that the jaw dropping decisions started. There's still plenty of time for DM to decide that Pesch, Jacovic, Hoillet and Kenny are just the thing that this team needs. Granted, it doesn't seem likely but then again who would have foreseen FY's choices?

Fair enough. Watson and Pesch were both in the squad from day one. Nsaliwa was never called. Surprisingly Klukowski and Brennan were in Kingston but not called back for the semi-final round. I think Hart would fire Mitchell on the spot if he screwed up the same as Yallop.

Fair enough. Watson and Pesch were both in the squad from day one. Nsaliwa was never called. Surprisingly Klukowski and Brennan were in Kingston but not called back for the semi-final round. I think Hart would fire Mitchell on the spot if he screwed up the same as Yallop.

Odd how our assistant coach is actually the boss of our head coach.

ONLY IN CANADA!

quote:Originally posted by ken

A good point, ken. However, in the summer of that year I remember FY having the CMNT "B" pool present for those international games on the coast in July '04 and I think that certainly influenced some of his player selection for August.

Yes Frank was dazed by his charges' outstanding performance against Millwall (who were on a west coast pub crawl).

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by David C.

Here is the CSA report and (limited) match tracker:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1232

Canada : Panama (Match tracker / Le film du match)

Canada pulled even 2:2 for a draw with Panama in its international friendly in Sunrise, FL. The Canucks scored first, but were then down 2-1 before Ante Jazic score the equaliser with just eight minutes remaining.

The match kicked off at 17.00 under a blazing sun with temperatures reaching the high 90s (low 30s in Celsius).

Canada's Jaime Peters opened the scoring in the 20th minute as he headed home from close range following a corner kick from Patrice Bernier. Teenager Peters had replaced Tomasz Radzinski in the ninth minute after the veteran suffered a foot injury. Radzinski was taken off as a precaution with the injury considered not serious.

Just before half, the Central Americans evened the score after they were awarded a penalty decision off a corner kick. Canuck Richard Hastings was judged to have held a jersey.

Canadian head coach Dale Mitchell made several changes at the half in order to see as much of his lineup as possible. Ali Gerba came on up front for Rob Friend while Jim Brennan came on for Patrice Bernier and was slotted into the left back position. Ante Jazic came on for Marcel De Jong and played wide left while Adrian Cann and Andre Hainault replaced Adrian Serioux and Richard Hastings at centre back. Mike Klukowski moved into centre midfield alongside Atiba Hutchinson with Issey Nakajima-Farran playing wide right. Peters stayed on underneath Gerba.

Panama, however, scored early after the restart to make it 2-1.

Tam Nsaliwa then replaced captain Paul Stalteri in the 65th minute. Almost 15 minutes later, the Canadians earned a deserved equaliser after Nsaliwa found Jazic with an excellent cross. Jazic was able to volley home.

Both Canada and Panama are busy making preparations for this month's FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. Canada will face Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on 15 June (Kingstown) and 20 June (Montreal).

You would have thought the CSA, of all people, would know the guy's age. Total morons.

Archived