Vote for Seattle's MLS name

Canucks fan

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/soccer/358051_sounders08.html

It's official: Seattle Sounders FC

Last updated April 7, 2008 4:53 p.m. PT

By MATTHEW GASCHK

SPECIAL TO THE P-I

Seattle's fledgling Major League Soccer franchise announced its team name and unveiled its colors Monday afternoon, and the people have spoken. With a nod toward the city's soccer history, the club will be called Seattle Sounders FC.

The announcement was made during a news conference at the Space Needle with original Sounders Jimmy Gabriel and Pepe Fernandez and former coach Alan Hinton in attendance. Sounders minority owner and general manager Adrian Hanauer even cited Walt Daggatt, the managing general partner of the original Sounders, who ushered Seattle into soccer's big leagues in 1974.

"This has always been the fans' team and it will continue to be the fans' team," said Hanauer, who grew up a Sounders fan from Day 1. "Our job is to carry the torch and be stewards of this franchise, but our dedication will be to the fans."

After Daggatt opened the naming of the original team to a vote in 1973, fans voted to call the team Sounders. This time around was no different, as 82 percent of the nearly 15,000 votes cast last week in the club's on-line name-the-team promotion chose one of the derivations of the final name, be it Seattle Sounders, Sounders FC or something in between.

Left in the dust were the three "finalists" announced by the club on March 25: Seattle Alliance, Seattle Republic and Seattle FC.

"It was a groundswell," majority owner and Hollywood producer Joe Roth said of the Sounders sentiment. "I think it's a great start for the franchise. It's a great start for us as owners to trust the fans, to show that we are about democracy in sports and set up situations in which fans have rights that they don't have with other American sports teams."

Hanauer sang the praises of the original Sounders, who played in the North American Soccer League from 1974-83.

"They helped build the foundation of soccer that we get to now build on and keep this team in the city and build a franchise that's meaningful worldwide over the next generations," Hanauer said.

In 1994, the Sounders were reborn in the USL First Division. They have won two of the past three league championships and will play a final season in 2008 before the MLS franchise launches in March 2009.

Seattle Sounders FC plans to build a world-class club with a raucous fan base, Hanauer said, much like the Sounders had in the Kingdome during the NASL days. With minority owner Drew Carey's passion for FC Barcelona, Roth's penchant for Hollywood dramatics, Paul Allen's experience with the Seahawks and Hanauer's soccer ties, they have the pieces in place to create a spectacle when the team takes the field next year.

Roth said he saw a vision of what he hopes to see from his club on a recent trip to London, when he took in an English Premiership game between Chelsea and Arsenal at Chelsea's Stamford Bridge. With more than 42,000 in attendance, the atmosphere was one he hopes to emulate in Seattle.

"The passion in the stadium was no different than it would be for a Seahawks game," Roth said. "My goal is to do whatever I can to turn soccer in Seattle into the major sport that it is."

Coupled with that plan is the intention to bring in international players to fill out the roster. Hanauer has planned a trip to South America and Africa with club technical director Chris Henderson and already has been to Asia to establish inroads with players, clubs and agents.

"We have to go all over the world to find players to make a team that can play anywhere in the world," Roth said. "You will see a team not just composed of expansion players or draft choice players from local schools. We will travel all over the world in order to find that can play on a team that is significant."

Though it may cause some confusion, the club is confident fans will have no trouble distinguishing between Seattle Sounders FC and the Sounders who open the USL season April 19 in Charleston, S.C., in defense of their 2007 championship.

"The fans will definitely know the difference. We talked about that and we think that within 3-4 months it won't be an issue," Hanauer said.

Seattle Sounders FC has sold about 14,000 season ticket deposits for the 2009 season. Ticket and merchandise information can be found on the club's new Web site, soundersfc.com.

© 1998-2008 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

My prediction is that we are looking at the new flagship franchise of MLS. Beckham and Galaxy, aside, this is a franchise that will have the highest season-ticket base in the league with the potential for REALLY big crowds for important matches. Seattle has proven to be one of the best football cities in North America over the past 30-40 years. The owners have the deepest of pockets. And now they have, by far, the best name and badge in the league. With a year to build before they make the jump from USL, they will be able to strengthen their team which will be able to compete from day one, unlike clubs like TFC or RSL, who had to build from scratch. The potential is scary, particularly for a born-and-bred Vancouverite who would love nothing more than to see the 'Caps playing in MLS in a great, new downtown stadium.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

And now they have, by far, the best name and badge in the league.

The name is good, the badge is terrible. It looks like someone designed it from clip art.

The best badge in MLS is the one borrowed from MFL, Chivas USA. RSL's badge is great too, despite the name.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The name is good, the badge is terrible. It looks like someone designed it from clip art.

The best badge in MLS is the one borrowed from MFL, Chivas USA. RSL's badge is great too, despite the name.

agreed, badge is bad but name is good.

it will be very interesting to see how this team comes out of the gate next year. I wonder how the expansion draft will work for a team that will be allowed to bring its USL team into the league.

Seattle will serve as an excellent case study for montreal impact when/if they come into the league.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Granted, I do like Chivas USA's badge. RSL's badge is equally retarded as the name. It's got a cartoonish feel to it. The only way that the name and badge could possibly gain any credibility would be for King Juan Carlos of Spain to annex Mormon country. As for the new Sounders' badge, I think it's great. It incorporates the team name, colours, and the city's most recognisable landmark in a stylish, yet simple design. What's not to like about it?

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

And now they have, by far, the best name and badge in the league. With a year to build before they make the jump from USL, they will be able to strengthen their team which will be able to compete from day one, unlike clubs like TFC or RSL, who had to build from scratch.

I think Seattle is the first team to "make the jump"....no? So what are the rules regarding player rights etc. If they really are allowed to just claim first right for all the players they already have, then they shouldn't get an expansion draft (IMO). If, however, they have to start from scratch and all/any of their current players are free to sign with any MLS team that wants them, then fair enough...give them an expansion draft.

For the guy who asked "what is a sounder".....a sound is a wave...so, presumably, a sounder is someone who lives on/near/beside the waves.

Well lets see. Highlanders are from the highlands, Canadians are from Canada, and North Enders are from Winnipeg's North End so I'd say in this case a Sounder would be referring to the peoples populating the areas surrounding Pueget Sound maybe?

What does it mean? Guess you can fill in the finer details as your imagination provides but I'd say it means these people live by the sea in the rough terrain of upper Washington State. A looong way from southern California and a short way from Lotusland. Geography can define a people you know and I don't think it's so unusual for sporting names to reflect that.

Archived