Vote for Seattle's MLS name

Canucks fan

http://www.mlsinseattle.com/article.aspx?id=1092

quote:KIRKLAND, WASH. — Soccer fans are invited to vote for the name of the new Major League Soccer team in Seattle, the club announced today.

Fans will be able to vote online beginning on Thursday, March 27 at 12:01 a.m. (PT) and conclude on Monday, March 31 at 11:59 p.m. (PT). Fans can register their vote at www.mlsinseattle.com.

The three naming options will be announced Tuesday, March 25, and were chosen through fan focus groups, internal committees and fan suggestions, but will not include Sounders.

“I have great respect for the Sounders and the club’s history,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “While we should celebrate the past, we believe the MLS Seattle team should be about where we are headed tomorrow and help position the club globally.”

Fans will be allowed one vote per unique email address. MLS Seattle season ticket deposit holders will receive the same number of votes as deposits purchased.

“The names which will be announced next Tuesday include one traditional soccer name, while the other two are representative of the inclusive relationship we want to build with our fans with an emphasis on democracy in sports,” said Vulcan Sports & Entertainment President Tod Leiweke. “The final vote rests with our fans.”

MLS Seattle has hired Votenet™ Solutions, Inc. to provide a secure online voting system and Deloitte & Touche to recount the results. The winning name will be revealed via live web cast on Monday, April 7 at 11:00 a.m. (PT) at www.mlsinseattle.com.

“We are confident one of the three choices will resonate with our fans throughout the Northwest,” said general manager Adrian Hanauer. “We spent a great deal of time analyzing and debating possible names. Now it is up to the fans.”

MLS Seattle, which currently has just over 13,000 season ticket deposit holders, will play its complete 18-game home schedule at Qwest Field beginning in March 2009.

<center>Sound City Psycos</center>

Say it like Sylvester the cat would(cartoon character) (ie Sufferin Suckatash) with a lot of lisp and slobber spewing.

I hate it when they get rid of something that has a decent tradition just to put a FC or United behind it because it sounds more soccerish.

If they ever suggest (much less demand) that the Whitecaps change their name I will personally draw and quarter the MLS officials!!!!

So would you hate me if I said i like Vancouver City FC over whitecaps, or Montreal Olympique/Olympique de Montreal over impact or Toronto FC over blizzard? lol which i do, sorry.

I'm all for the traditional names. I think sounders sounds stupid, too much like other north american sports names. Plus if the team is Seattle FC the fans can always call the team "The sounders" just like Man U is also "the Red Devils" or Arsenal are "the gunners".

If Seattle FC wins, it'll satisfy the people who like traditional names and the fans who want to nickname the team the sounders. but I'd be down for Seattle City FC too, but i like the sound of Vancouver City FC better :D

Go Toronto FC

Go Vancouver City FC

Go Montreal Olympique / Olympique de Montreal

Go Seattle FC

Go St Louis United

Go DC United

Go FC Dallas

Go Houston Dynamo

Go Rapid Colorado :P maybe oneday

Go Kansas City Blues FC / Kansas City 1996 FC or Kansas City FC

Go Philadelphia 1776

real salt lake is pushing it because it's not even the same language (maybe if it was royal salt lake)

quote:Originally posted by DinamoTFC

So would you hate me if I said i like Vancouver City FC over whitecaps, or Montreal Olympique/Olympique de Montreal over impact or Toronto FC over blizzard? lol which i do, sorry.

I'm all for the traditional names. I think sounders sounds stupid, too much like other north american sports names. Plus if the team is Seattle FC the fans can always call the team "The sounders" just like Man U is also "the Red Devils" or Arsenal are "the gunners".

If Seattle FC wins, it'll satisfy the people who like traditional names and the fans who want to nickname the team the sounders. but I'd be down for Seattle City FC too, but i like the sound of Vancouver City FC better :D

Go Toronto FC

Go Vancouver City FC

Go Montreal Olympique / Olympique de Montreal

Go Seattle FC

Go St Louis United

Go DC United

Go FC Dallas

Go Houston Dynamo

Go Rapid Colorado :P maybe oneday

Go Kansas City Blues FC / Kansas City 1996 FC or Kansas City FC

Go Philadelphia 1776

real salt lake is pushing it because it's not even the same language (maybe if it was royal salt lake)

Do you even have a clue why the Sounders have that name? If not, then the name isn't stupid, you are.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

If they ever suggest (much less demand) that the Whitecaps change their name I will personally draw and quarter the MLS officials!!!!

The main issue is probably that Seattle's MLS team will be owned and operated by a different group than the one that already runs the Sounders. In order to use the name, they'd have to buy it from the current owners. If Vancouver gets into MLS, it'll be under the ownership of Greg Kerfoot, who will maintain the current club structure and merely transfer the men's senior side from competing in USL1 to MLS. There would be no need to change the name of the club.

Bolton Wanderers Football Club, Blackburn Rovers Football Club, Tottenham Hotspurs Football Club, Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, Brighton and Hove Albion.....yeah, you're right, Seattle Sounders Football Club wouldn't sound near soccerish enough.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

The main issue is probably that Seattle's MLS team will be owned and operated by a different group than the one that already runs the Sounders.

Actually the guy who owns the present Seattle Sounders is one of the owners of the new MLS team.

quote:Originally posted by DinamoTFC

Go Houston Dynamo

"Dynamo" refers to the sports development system in the former soviet union. After world war 2 the name spread to other eastern bloc countries. How does it in any way make sense when applied to an american franchise, in texas of all places?

And Real Salt Lake is the worst name in soccer. It's not just pushing it.

How about Seattle FC? Nice and simple and would hopefully build momentum to keep many nitwits in the Toronto press from calling their American club "THE FC" (like what's FC Dallas, chopped liver?).

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

"Dynamo" refers to the sports development system in the former soviet union. After world war 2 the name spread to other eastern bloc countries. How does it in any way make sense when applied to an american franchise, in texas of all places?

And Real Salt Lake is the worst name in soccer. It's not just pushing it.

Dynamo also refers to an association with the country's secret service, KGB, Stasi etc. Actually Washington Dynamo would make more sense as that is where the FBI headquarters is located and also near the CIA headquarters.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

How about Seattle FC? Nice and simple and would hopefully build momentum to keep many nitwits in the Toronto press from calling their American club "THE FC" (like what's FC Dallas, chopped liver?).

Way to go Ed, don't let them dare insult FC Dallas? How many girlfriends did you lose to Torontonians?

quote:Fans will be able to choose between three names along with having space for a “write-in” option. The names are:

Seattle Alliance

A bond or connection; an association to further the common interests of the members.

Seattle Alliance brings together fans, coaches, and players to form a unified group to celebrate the game of soccer.

Seattle FC

FC is a common international soccer acronym that stands for football club.

Seattle FC is a global seal to encompass all fans, coaches, and players in the World’s Game.

Seattle Republic

An association in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote; a body of persons freely engaged in a specific activity.

Seattle Republic represents a call to all fans, coaches, and players to unite.

Write-In Vote:

For fans who are passionate about another name.

I'm thinking it's pretty safe to say it'll be Seattle FC or Sounders with the write in vote...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Way to go Ed, don't let them dare insult FC Dallas? How many girlfriends did you lose to Torontonians?

I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing out how silly it is to refer to Toronto as "The FC". I don't think that a slight on Torontonians.

> Seattle Sounders

Yes. History, good results, fan base, regional tie in.

> Seattle Alliance

Not bad. It would be my choice out of the 3 but still not as good as the original.

> Seattle FC

Ohhhh that's original [xx(]

> Seattle Republic

At least it has a US sound to it.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing out how silly it is to refer to Toronto as "The FC". I don't think that a slight on Torontonians.

What is wrong with the Toronto press calling them, "The FC"? They are writing for a Toronto readership and in Toronto TFC is "The FC". If supporters of Dallas, any other club with FC in their name or Calgarians are offended by that they must be very, very sensitive or have a chip on their shoulder against Toronto. I really doubt the supporters of other teams with FC in their name really give a rats ass about what the Toronto media calls TFC so I guess that just leaves the Calgarian.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

..and you're getting riled up about this because?

I am not getting riled up at all. Toronto bashing is getting a bit tiresome though even for those not from Toronto. I also think there are enough legitimate criticisms of TFC and Mo that Ed should not have to resort to some of the crap he constantly throws at them though to each their own I guess.

Geezus Grizzly, and you are making cracks about me losing dates? You need an oil change. I find 'THE FC' references to be annoying and it's nothing to do with Mo (who is in idiot in his own right), Toronto or the people who support TFC.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived