Whitecaps coach Bob Lilley sacked

Allison A

quote:Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that Whitecaps men’s head coach Bob Lilley, who just completed his third and final year on his contract, will not return for the 2008 season. Whitecaps assistant coach, Todd Wawrousek, will immediately take over the offseason coaching responsibilities.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature09180702.aspx

Whitecaps fire coach Bob Lilley

Dan Stinson, Vancouver Sun

Published: Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Vancouver Whitecaps head coach Bob Lilley was fired today -- two days after the Whitecaps were eliminated by the Portland Timbers in the first round of the United Soccer Leagues First Division playoffs.

Lilley, a 41-year-old native of Fort Monmouth, N.J., was in the third year of a three-year contract with the Whitecaps, and led the team to the league championship in 2006.

"I don't really have a comment [on the firing]," Lilley said. "I just think it's not worth it to comment on that side of this development."

The Whitecaps' 2007 regular season included a franchise record 12-game winless streak and a seventh-place finish in the 12-team First Division. It was also marked by the early-season walkout of starting goalkeeper Tony Caig and a highly controversial, blockbuster four-player trade in July with the Montreal Impact. The Caps sent striker Joey Gjertsen, their 2006 scoring leader and the league MVP, and midfielder David Testo to the Impact for striker Alen Marcina and midfielder Ze Roberto.

The Whitecaps opened the first round of the playoffs with a 1-0 win over Portland last Friday. But the Timbers rebounded in the second game at Portland's PGE Park last Sunday, defeating the Whitecaps 3-0 and winning the two-game, total-goal series 3-1.

Lilley expressed appreciation for his players' efforts this season.

"They had to battle through some tough spots," he said. "I have a tremendous respect for this group of players and what they accomplished this year. They worked extremely hard to try to make the team a success and for the Whitecaps organization as a whole."

The Whitecaps were also eliminated in the first playoff round in 2005, which was Lilley's first year as head coach of the team.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=222200fa-582a-4524-9a11-9e2b2b197983&k=26415

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Why fire him, and just not renew his contract?

Not renewing his contract is essentially what happened. But if the Whitecaps were looking to renew his contract he would certainly have been kept on to coach the LA Galaxy game in November. After all, Lilley did say publicly that he would very much like to stay in Vancouver. Not keeping him on till the Galaxy game was essentially telling him 'thank you, but your services are no longer required', which is a firing.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Ding dong the witch is dead...

Prediction: Bob Lilly will be the next head coach of the Carolina Railhawks.

Colin Miller will be the next coach of the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Doubt it very much. I think Miller is probably making a very comfortable living with Derby.

Far too soon for Colin Miller to change jobs again. Jumping ship to a USL club so soon would probably mean not working again in the EPL for a long time and I doubt very much that's what he wants. I would think for the sake of his resume (and pride) he should spend at least one full season with his EPL club if not the duration of his current contract before even contemplating a change. The Whitecaps can't wait that long.

For those that didn't see soccer central today, they noted that the Derby coaching staff is getting some heat from mangement. Pretty hard to compete in the Premier league with Derby's budget, little unfair if you ask me.

Anyway, sounds like good news for vancouver if they want Miller, I can't see Derby's results getting much better.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

"Nick Dasovic, a former Canadian senior national team defender, is an early candidate for the vacant Vancouver Whitecaps head coach position.

Dasovic, a 38-year-old Vancouver native, said he talked briefly with Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi last week after Bob Lilley was fired as head coach on Sept. 18.

"I'm very interested in the position, and the Whitecaps know I'm interested," said Dasovic,"

Vancouver Sun

In other news, the Earth is round.

Archived