Who Should Coach the National Women?

Pellerud has the job for now, but unless he takes our women to a quarterfinal or semifinal result this summer, I think his head should roll. Sure, he has advanced our football considerably over the past several years, the bulk of that improvement coming in his first years at the helm. But our women seem to be stagnating while other nations are quickly closing the gap--and passing us--and if we do not become more sophisticated, more complete in our tactics and skills, we will fall quickly out of the top 20.

So, when Pellerud is gone, who should replace him?

I would be in favour of replacing the coach with someone who encourages a more possession style and greater tactics/skills, even at this late stage of preparations, but lets be honest, it won't happen.

The CSA probably thinks that:

A) It is too late

B) There isn't a problem anyways

C) Any problems that do exist can be ignored

Adding to all this, the CSA is a mess right now with alot of infighting and an inability to hire people to fill existing vacancies, so they are not going to create another opening and start a new hiring round when they are preoccupied with their other problems. If the team bombs at the WC, and the CSA has filled the other spots, then they might make a change.

BTW, can they find someone good to take the job? The Simoes suggestion won't work because of possible bad blood, the problems for Mitchell if the CSA still brings in the guy that everyone knows Linford preferred for the MNT, and if they couldn't close the deal for the MNT, then I don't think they could for the WNT.

quote:Originally posted by soccertrainer10

sj, are you serious? Francis Millien? You obviously have never heard his thoughts on the women's game.

Or is it the way we play the women's game?

quote:Originally posted by Vic

What we need isn't coaches. It's quality people at the executive level with experience from other successful countries to come in and transform the CSA.

I am confused I thought the CSA executive were brought in from other countries, I saw a video clip of the president talking he seems English or is that a regional accent ?

No, the board is mostly provincial reps. And they're not the problem, they simply vote procedurally. We need to bring in people with proven experience and fresh relevant ideology and empower them to bring about positive change (without being micromanaged by a board and handcuffed by process).

p.s. FYI, President Colin Linford is an Ontarion: "Since 2002, Linford has been the President of the Ontario Soccer Association and has been intrinsically involved at the Board/Executive level in Ontario since 1990. Linford’s involvement with the game in the Kitchener-Waterloo, ON area spans three decades."

Yes, though we need some strong top-down vision and leadership, as well as infrastructure, more Canadian teams in the MLS etc etc., the question still remains: Who should replace Pellerud at the end of this year?

I agree with the suggestion that we need a coach who can teach a more complex game, including strong possession, and for that reason I like the idea of hiring a US coach. They understand our zone, understand our players, and coach an effective brand of football.

My fear--and I am not trying to be disrespectful or unkind--is that the CSA will hired somebody like Andrea Neil. Yes, she is a wonderful leader and an amazing person, but I don't see that she would take this team any futher--or in a better direction--than Dr. Pellerud has.

Based on how the CSA handled the MNT coach selection I can even see the CSA taking Andrea Neil over someone like Mia Hamm.

a US coach would have improved the quality of of our team with even half of the amopunt of games that Pelerud had the luxury of having.

the last outing was horrible

thank god the game was not televised on Canadian network

looks like the resident program was completely wasted.

it was all kick and run and a more frequent rate than ever before.

I get the sense that many who post on this site are looking forward to a Canadian collapse at the Women's world Cup so that Pelerud will be replaced. Come on guys and gals lets root for a strong cup performance for the team's sake. If the team finishes top eight or better than Pelerud can say his job here is complete and he can move on. That would be better than firing someone who has brought the team so far in his time with them. AND if they don't finish top eight then say thank you very much and look for a replacement, but don't make it sound like you can't wait for him (and the team) to fail. GO CANADA!!

• 2 weeks later...

To be clear, I am NOT hoping for our Women's team to fail. Quite the contrary. I think Sinclair is pure class, pure talent and a joy to watch, and our women play their hearts out. I think Pellerud has done well to get them up to the current level, but feel he is now beyond further use. We need to learn to play a more complex game, and soon.

And, I highly doubt anyone here wants "revenge" on Pellerud. Oh, sure, maybe a few of his former players would like to exact a pound of flesh--and Pellerud has plenty to spare--but I think most here find the antics of Hooper et al. a bit difficult to stomach, even if they might have some real reason to be upset. [Hooper was--and likely still is--a fantastic player, but we need a team, not a prima donna.]

'antics/et al/prima donna.' One of them lost a Father a few years ago and still played for country days later, another recently became a mother and realized there's more important things in the world than just her career, and another had the moral courage to stand up for her teammates when they were screwed around. Three absolutely incredible human beings. End of story. If there's a prima donna here, look elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

'antics/et al/prima donna.' One of them lost a Father a few years ago and still played for country days later, another recently became a mother and realized there's more important things in the world than just her career, and another had the moral courage to stand up for her teammates when they were screwed around. Three absolutely incredible human beings. End of story. If there's a prima donna here, look elsewhere.

Well put. The only prima donna in the team is Pellerud.

• 2 weeks later...

I still maintain that Hooper's head had gotten way too big--and there is plenty of evidence of this--and it is interesting to read the arbitrator's report (see the appropriate thread). To be clear, I am not a fan of Pellerud, but it was also very apparent to those who did real research, that Hooper was in the wrong. Look how her very own teammates responded to her "antics". Sinclair, kindly but firmly, indicated that those who did not get with the program, with the team, were not really missed. Her comments to the media may have seemed veiled, but it was apparent what she was referring to.

I know that the CSA is an easy scapegoat, but let's be a bit more critical and objective in our analysis, eh? If players make choices that run contrary to the plans of the program and team, why in the hell should they be included in that team? My beef, in particular, is with Hooper, who has not impressed me as an off-the-pitch professional at all.

quote:Originally posted by fan

People who don't research anything and just make lemming comments like "antics, prima donna, and silly, to hide their ignorance should be moved closer to the cliffs.

I've done as much research as you have, and take offense to the insult you level at me and the suggestion of violence. Get your head out of Charmaine's ass! You've clearly joined the ranks of those who think star players can do no wrong, while the CSA is evil incarnate. Such thinking is tantamount to ideology, and has no place in a world that operates on pragmatic, very real principles. Grow up. At least I think for myself.

Beaver don't mind Fan, Fan is a 'fan'-atic and somewhat irrational Charmaine Hooper booster.

I see Hooper is not included on the NJ Wildcat roster for 2007, is she playing anywhere in the W-League this season or has she quit playing altogether?

The Canadian women are playing a style of game that is way below their ability. When I watch them, I see uncreative kick and run soccer and aggresive chasing. We need a coach who can allow the women to play an attractive style with posession, something they have the skill to do.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Beaver don't mind Fan, Fan is a 'fan'-atic and somewhat irrational Charmaine Hooper booster.

I see Hooper is not included on the NJ Wildcat roster for 2007, is she playing anywhere in the W-League this season or has she quit playing altogether?

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/profile_w.asp?id=9

seems to me the csa says she is on the national team and playing for the wildcats..and i am sure you agree Richard the CSA at soccer house ..dont make mistakes ....

Ninth in a league where only five teams have any real skill level the game is still in its infancy level for Women. Thats real and pragmatic. Hooper is one of the best players in the world thats real. The CSA has no evil or other ethereal qualities for me Beaver you and others bring that up yourselves. That is juvenile. You need to stop looking at fantasy and deal with facts.

The CSA is not capable to run any organization of this level and has made too many mistakes to be considered seriously or given any more respect. I said before the MLSE will demonstrate and prove just how incompetent the CSA is by example and they have in less than a year of playing time.

If it was up to the seriously ambiguous like you Richard we would still be dealing with Pipe, now thats irrational. Hooper and the others were mistreated and did not deserve it. The CSA defends when it should dismiss and promotes when it should demote and acts contrary to almost every sensible organizational decision on a daily basis.

There is so little in the CSA history over the last 25 years to be proud of and Canadian soccer has been ruined by them and there is too much incompetence greed and ego to be respected or accepted by the people who run the CSA.Anyone with any objective pragmatic sense would be able to comprehend that is a definitive reality.

quote:Originally posted by fan

Hooper is one of the best players in the world thats real...

Hooper and the others were mistreated and did not deserve it.

I knew it was only a matter of time before one of the board crazies came out and defended Hooper. The dispute judgement does not paint Hooper in a good light at all. She comes across as a liar and selfish. She put herself ahead of team. The Newfoundland debacle pretty much sealed her fate. The irony is that it appears that Pellerud would actually take her back, but its the actual players that aren't interested in her return now.

Archived