Who Should Coach the National Women?

My post stands and the arbitration report does not deter my point of view Massiveattack although it brings more light about what Pellerud is capable of. A different point of view is not crazy you need to have the courage to debate without defaulting to sandbox comments so easly.

I think KAS had the most objective response and was well thought out.

Fan, I am a new poster but have been lurking around for a while. I find it so intresting that posters like yourself will rip Pellerud and the other players with personal attacks yet when another poster makes a similar claim against Hooper you cry foul. Hooper WAS a great player, but like many other star atheletes she made ths mistake of thinking she was bigger than the game itself.

And as for your comments about how MLSE will show the CSA up in running a soccer program, I am just wondering if you have ever seen that other team that they run, you know the one that has gone 40 years without a championship. They run a great BUSINESS but the product ( the hockey team) leaves a lot to be desired.

As for who should coach the team...we have a coach right now, rather than calling for his head now ...lets see how the girls do then we can second guess all we want. It really is putting the cart before the horse.

The debate about the coach is interesting, regardless what happens with Pellerud

I don't think he will be fired, unless we have a miserable World Cup

But discussing about qualified trainers for the womens national team is good to know who we have that can make the job, trainers at the top women level are less known

quote:Originally posted by RJB

The Canadian women are playing a style of game that is way below their ability. When I watch them, I see uncreative kick and run soccer and aggresive chasing. We need a coach who can allow the women to play an attractive style with posession, something they have the skill to do.

I believe the job will be vacant in Sept 2008. Why don't you apply then. I would love to see how your style would work out. Maybe we would get a few more style points from the posession bigots, but would it bring more wins or less? Who cares right? As long as it's attractive to you?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

You know what's funny, before she turned her back on her team because of pride, I would have chosen Hooper as a good choice for coach one day. Mostly because of her leadership qualities. But I don't think that's possible anymore.

I don't want to start a Hooper bashfest--because it isn't fair, or useful--but I do not think Hooper has the right demeanor to make a great coach. Her leadership is derived from action, more than anything else. She leads by her creative, hard-nosed, and superb play. But she has never struck me as somebody who has the player management skills, nor the "head" for the game that is required. Andrea Neil would be much better, but I think it is too early for her to take over. Give her 5 - 10 years coaching US college, then we'll see.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Hey, to get this back on topic: perhaps fan and KAS and vic and Jon Que--among others--could suggest a new coach for this team. If Pellerud is done after the next WC, who would be a good person to take the team forward?

To be honest, I don't know enough about availabilty to give a good specific answer, but I can suggest the "type" of coach to look for.

In order to atleast partially counter the 100% Route One nature of the team, you need to go somewhat against type. Directness is not all bad, and is sometimes preferable or even necessary, but variety is the key to beating the best. Sinclair is awesome, but even the best stikers, whether they be men or women, are next to useless without good service and ideally some forward support. Any striker can be nullified through extensive marking, and teams that lose the midfield usually lose the game too. If Canada always plays the same way, and do not learn to adapt, then teams like the USA and Germany will always have the answer.

It might be tempting to stress possession too much and just say "hire Dutch" or "hire Brazilian", but someone with greater tactical knowledge and flexibilty than Pellerud is necessary. Experience coaching women's teams is more an asset than a requirement, but experience with developing players and improving individual skill levels is mandatory as the women's game is still at such an early stage that even WNT players are often lacking in key areas.

Although America is the enemy, I think you really have to look at some of the NCAA coaches. Most of our players do develop their skills there, and clearly the coach at Portland knows how to get the most out of Sinclair (although that is hardly Canada's weakness). There are some semi-pro women's clubs in Europe now and those should be scanned for coaching material. Since they are already coaching many of the world's best female players, any of them that speak passable English should be looked at.

I would never have suggested this before the Gold Cup, but since the CSA likes to hire internally, perhaps Hart should be considered. He may have been blessed with a very talented midfield, but the fact is that I can't remember seeing the MNT play such a beautiful and dominating style. It was not just possession for the sake of possession, or for beauty, it was offensively-minded and successful. He has now coached at the senior level, and has experience developing youth through the U-17s. I am sure that he wants to be more than just Mitchell's assistant - especially after getting the MNT to play at a level that Mitchell will have a hard time matching.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Hey, to get this back on topic: perhaps fan and KAS and vic and Jon Que--among others--could suggest a new coach for this team. If Pellerud is done after the next WC, who would be a good person to take the team forward?

Pellerud has a contract and won't be going anywhere until after the Olympics, plus rumour has it that he might re-up for another 8 years or so. ;)

Archived