De Jong still not sure for who he wants to play

loyola

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/27092

This article says that De Jong will wait as long as he can (october 15, 2007) before committing to either Canada or Holland (I don't think we'll see him in the GC).

Marcel de Jong twijfelt nog over OranjeGeplaatst

Marcel de Jong (20) twijfelt nog over voor welk nationaal elftal hij wil uitkomen. De linksback van Roda JC heeft zowel een Canadees als een Nederlands paspoort en kan daardoor voor beide landen uitkomen.

Volgens het AD wil de Jong zo lang mogelijk wachten met het nemen van een beslissing. Uiterlijk 15 oktober moet de in New Market geboren speler een beslissing hebben genomen van de FIFA.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

The team should offer him special privileges to play for the country. It would prove likely to be worth it.

Would it be worth it to alienate guys like Rob Friend though who relish the chance to play for Canada?

His time with Roda really fell-off in the second half, as he seemed to lose his starting position.

Holland may cap him, but it's far from certain if he would ever be a regular in the Dutch team.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for DeJong & Canada. The same goes with Lensky and DeGuzman.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Would it be worth it to alienate guys like Rob Friend though who relish the chance to play for Canada?

Of course not. And that is just common sence. Looks very much like he will only play for Canada only if he is not good enough for Holland. Thats just the way things are right now unfortunately. Nothing you can do about it until things evolve and take their course. Namely, professional career options evolve in canada to a point where its no longer necessary to go overseas and when results in international play improve.

Starting to give benefits to certain players to play for Canada would only exacerbate the the problem and open a whole bunch of new cans of worms. Besides really, how good is this guy? Seen him play a few times on the tube and I saw nothing to suggest that he doen't have a future in the game. But on the other hand, saw nothing to suggest stardom either. You just cant be 100% sure with even a U20 guy. He could turn out to be no better than our current crop of players.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

His time with Roda really fell-off in the second half, as he seemed to lose his starting position.

Holland may cap him, but it's far from certain if he would ever be a regular in the Dutch team.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for DeJong & Canada. The same goes with Lensky and DeGuzman.

If " his time with Roda really fell-off in the second half, as he seemed to lose his starting position ", then why would they be even remotely concerned with capping him. Players in that positiona are a dime a dozen in a place like Holland.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

If " his time with Roda really fell-off in the second half, as he seemed to lose his starting position ", then why would they be even remotely concerned with capping him. Players in that positiona are a dime a dozen in a place like Holland.

I wouldn't call him 'dime a dozen.' He's young, talented and promising. But we all know some of these players go onto to bigger and better things or the exact opposite can happen.

Holland have absolutely nothing to lose by capping him, so why wouldn't they ?

I think his dilema is more with the U-23 Dutch side. If he commits by paying with them, he'll loose his chance with Canada. Of course playing for the Jong Orange doesn,t mean you'll play for the Senior side. I guess he has to look at his realistic chances to play for Holland senior squad, which to me aren,t looking good.

The Dutch talent pool is deep, and he would have almost no chance of ever featuring with the senior side, which draws their talent essentially from the big 4 domestic teams (AZ, PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord) and players in bigger leagues (EPL), not fringe players with small, mid-table clubs.

The U-23 question, as loyola correctly points out, is the critical question. It depends whether Marcel would rather play for his real home (because, let's face it, he is far more Dutch than Canadian) in mostly meaningless matches, or have a chance to be a more important component of the Canadian team. Although, at this point in time, I don't think he's a starter for our Nats.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Starting to give benefits to certain players to play for Canada would only exacerbate the the problem and open a whole bunch of new cans of worms. Besides really, how good is this guy? Seen him play a few times on the tube and I saw nothing to suggest that he doen't have a future in the game. But on the other hand, saw nothing to suggest stardom either. You just cant be 100% sure with even a U20 guy. He could turn out to be no better than our current crop of players.

I agree, that kind of action would set a precedent that would probably become a poison in the locker room because it'd be hard to run a team who aren't on the same lines motivationally and no one likes seeing someone get special treatment, it's insulting.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

The title seems to me to be a little off. He must know what team he wants to play with (Holland) but as others have pointed out the chances of that are slim.

I think he's still under radar for the U-23 team and his chances are better at that level. Playing for them during qualifications would tie him to Holland.

He is as good as or better than anyone we have playing on the left side - and I include Simpson, Brennan and Jazic in that equation. I thought he was one of the "can't miss" players on the last U-20 team, and felt he could have made the jump to the senior team then. Hopefully we call him for the GC and at least let him know he is wanted.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

He is as good as or better than anyone we have playing on the left side - and I include Simpson, Brennan and Jazic in that equation. I thought he was one of the "can't miss" players on the last U-20 team, and felt he could have made the jump to the senior team then. Hopefully we call him for the GC and at least let him know he is wanted.

For what it's worth, SH said last fall that he was in touch with DeJong, but that he hadn't made a choice yet. It appears from the article that he'll wait a few more months.

But of course, it's always good business to get in touch with him and make an official invitation for the GC as I think he's good enough to play for our MNT. And remember he's only 20.

Archived