Srdjan Djekanovic as the back up keeper?

loyola

He's a talented keeper from my memory playing against him in youth soccer when he played for Burnaby.

That being said, he didn't get the start over Josh Wicks at the beginning of last season, and given that I rate Wicks as quite poor(or at least I thought he played that way in the games at home that I saw at the beginning of last season), it makes me wonder if this is too big a step for Srdjan.

Best of luck to him though, it's always nice to see guys getting the chance.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Srdjan Djekanovic has been signed by the Whitecaps for 2007 as backup to #1 keeper Tony Caig.

http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-april/whitecaps-apr-18.htm

Yes, but that was already known, it was expected since the end of last season.

We have already heard that Srdjan was tempted by TFC a few months back but was not sure about the terms.

As things stand now he is out of school and I am sure would prefer to back up Sutton over Caig, since in the case of TFC he would likely get some starts with Sutton away on international duty.

Hoping to hear some word from him in the next few days.

Guest Jeffery S.

Have to say that Srdjan has kept a steady course and it has paid off for him. He was surprisingly called to the January Florida camp where, according to one poster here, he impressed, so much so that some felt he was as strong as Sutton. He got to know a block of TFC players there as well.

Though there had been some talk about him going to TFC early on, he rejected the offer as not being good enough. And in any case it was not good enough to pull him away from the Whitecaps, where he would have been clearly 2nd keeper after Wicks being let go. At the same time he would be able to finish his second year at UBC.

So he has in the end been able to do the pre-season with the Caps, complete his schooling and end up with an even better pro contract in a higher league, with the same or even better prospects of playing. I wonder now, though, if he will definitively abandon university athletics and, if necessary, make the school transfer to a TO or area university to continue his studies....

Guest Jeffery S.

What I find heartening is when a group of players from a strong year, that of the 2003 U-20 Worlds, continue to play and find their pro outlets. It means that they did indeed have talent and that it was recognized, which I guess is credit to Mitchell. I think that was clearly our most talented crop in recent years, with Hume, Matondo, Simpson, Chin, Atiba, with others like Srdjan and Fernandes in the mix earlier. We just need Belotte and Karim to finally find their way.

I am especially pleased Chin has gotten a pro contract for the same reasons, as he was in fact a key player on that team, but never had the right continuity.

You can add Harmse to the 2003 list, while Ledgerwood & Edgar were also on the bench.

The 2001 team produced its fair share as well - De Guzman, Canizalez, Pozniak, Braz, Nsaliwa, Hume, Klukowski, Friend and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing someone....

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

You can add Harmse to the 2003 list, while Ledgerwood & Edgar were also on the bench.

The 2001 team produced its fair share as well - De Guzman, Canizalez, Pozniak, Braz, Nsaliwa, Hume, Klukowski, Friend and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing someone....

Asante, Di Tulio if I recall. Who was that player in the midfield, attacking well, I think from a Chilean background?

Archived