MLSnet

argh1

How come MLSnet only has an English and Espanol version. With a Canadian team wouldn't version en Français be appropriate as well?

C'mon official attendance at the Chivas/TFC game is 14,351! What is Home Depot a 900,000 seat stadium. I watched the game. More empty seat than occupied or did Home Depot buy 13,000 tickets that they couldn't give away?

Okay mostly just being a sh*t disturber. But ..... c'mon a version en français is a must for Canada and that attendance was a little over stated.

The majority of the fans were sitting on the side the cameras did not face. I think the 14K is an accurate figure. As for the french version of the site, I don't think it's necessary. It would cost thousands of dollars to create, and there is no MLS team in Montreal.

Doesn't make any business sense at this point.

But isn't it the law of the land that if anything is to be marketed inter-provincialy that it be avialable in the official language of your choice? This is being billed as Canada's top pro team? Or have I lived in the far-East too long?

Also what is the capacity of the Home Depot?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

But isn't it the law of the land that if anything is to be marketed inter-provincialy that it be avialable in the official language of your choice? This is being billed as Canada's top pro team? Or have I lived in the far-East too long?

NHL.com doesn't even have a french site. This isn't like cereal boxes.

It has 27K seats, with an open end grassy hill that can hold another 3000-3500, so max capacity is just over 30K. I think the grass area is unofficial though, so with games that have 30K they may only say 27K and quietly pocket the extra cash. I read that allegation somewhere, I just can't remember. Regardless, even the legit 27K makes this a big SSS for the league, and I think the biggest until NY and DC get their big (~40K?) stadiums built.

The law of the land doesn't have jurisdiction over the U.S., which is where the site is based. If it did, I'm sure Bush would have been impeached a long time ago...

How come MLSnet only has an English and Espanol version. With a Canadian team wouldn't version en Français be appropriate as well?

C'mon official attendance at the Chivas/TFC game is 14,351! What is Home Depot a 900,000 seat stadium. I watched the game. More empty seat than occupied or did Home Depot buy 13,000 tickets that they couldn't give away?

Get used to it. In pretty much every MLS game, the attendance is exaggerated by a couple of thousand.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Get used to it. In pretty much every MLS game, the attendance is exaggerated by a couple of thousand.

I disagree. If they exagerate their attendance numbers, what is the benefit? They would also have to pay more taxes to avoid being accused of hiding revenue from that many spectators.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

The law of the land doesn't have jurisdiction over the U.S., which is where the site is based. If it did, I'm sure Bush would have been impeached a long time ago...

Furthermore, even in Canada, the official languages legislation applies to public services, crown corporations and some publically regulated enterprises. As far as private businesses in Canada, there is no obligation to be bilingual. Those that are, do so it because it makes business sence.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Furthermore, even in Canada, the official languages laws applies to public services, crown corporations and some publically regulated enterprises. As far as private businesses in Canada, there is no obligation to be bilingual. Those that are, do so it because it makes business sence.

Okay mostly just being a sh*t disturber. But ..... c'mon a version en français is a must for Canada and that attendance was a little over stated.

English and english only will do!!! Toronto FC is in a english majority town and very little french is spoken in the states, so

don't hold your breath waiting for a french version.

quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

English and english only will do!!! Toronto FC is in a english majority town and very little french is spoken in the states, so

don't hold your breath waiting for a french version.

Okay, but just to argue for arguments sake....

TFC was the brain child of the CANADIAN Soccer Ass'n and they were the main cheer leader in it's formation. TFC (TSC I still like better as calling soccer football, in Canada to me lends itself to an eliteist or Euro snob menatality) is billed as Canada's top pro team and was supported by the CANADIAN Soccer Ass'n to be good for CANADIAN soccer development. Therefore logically as Canada has two official languages sites should reflect that.

But I don't really think many Québecois or Nouveau-Brunswickois will pay much attention anyways. But what about Franco Ontarians?

CSA stepped in to get TFC off the ground therefore the marketing should reflect what the CSA promoted this team as.

EDIT:

Yes, it's a nit pickey point. But still a point ;)

Do you not think that TFC and CSA should not be held accountable to fullfill the mandate that was sold to us. TFC because of the CANADIAN Soccer Ass'n's involment (they were there at every news conference) should be approachable to all Canadians/Canadiens?

The CSA's involment and statements that MLS would help all of Canadian soccer is the mandate of this team, is it not? That's why the CSA said it got involved!

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/stadium/index.asp?sub=8

It's called the National Stadium and to quote:

"The Canadian Soccer Association and it's partners Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE)....."

So the role and responsibility of TFC and MLS is for all of Canada. So information and news in both official languages should be a given on both MLS sites and on the official TFC site. That is what was maybe passively accepted but accepted none the less. It was mandated by the Canadian Soccer Association that TFC and MLS is for all of Canada.

Archived