Will Johnson contract option declined by Heerenvee

jpg75

Here's the link:

http://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/web/show/id=42457/contentid=4631

Translation (with cleanup):

Heerenveen uses none of the option in the expiring contracts of middenvelder Bo storm (20) and attacker Will Johnson (20). Storm and Canadian Johnson signed previous year both a contract for a season. The club is with the players in conversation concerning their further future. Johnson stood only one season under contract in friesland. The 20 person whose birthday it is Canadian middenvelder happened of Chicago Fire and scored once in eleven games for Heerenveen. Johnson found aim in the game against NEC nijmegen.

** Doesn't he have a Euro passport? If so he does not automatically charge as a 400K Euro player (non-EU), so maybe they can rework something.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

What (in your guys minds) would be the best move for Will Johnson at this time. Stay with Heerenveen or move to a club that would give him more playing time?

I think he should wait after the U-20 WC before making a decision. At this young age I think staying in Europe would be the best move for him but I wouldn't mind him coming to TFC if he's good enough to start.

It's weird because WJ had a very interesting year, starting with the reserves and doing very well and then moving to the first team and getting some PT. I don't know but he's looking like an interesting prospect to me with the ability to improve quickly.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It's weird because WJ had a very interesting year, starting with the reserves and doing very well and then moving to the first team and getting some PT. I don't know but he's looking like an interesting prospect to me with the ability to improve quickly.

Yes, this is a surprising move.

Guest Jeffery S.

I wonder if the club is going to get a hefty transfer fee for Alves and use the money to sign big, instead of going for the developing younger players route. Because it seems to me they could be pulling in 6-8 million Euros for Alves, he is a very hot prospect.

I did notice Alves' results. 25 goals in 27 games so far will catch some big team's attention. But I doubt Heerenveen will sign big.

Heerenveen is a club in a small city in a less densely populated farming area of the Netherlands. The club makes its big money on the buy and sell. I doubt they have much in the way of revenue streams outside of gate and share of league TV.

The club also has a good youth development system. That means club management is always needing to make decisions about which players to hold. I am almost certain the potential future value is an important part of this discussion. Friesians have a reputation for being shrewd in business. I suspect Heerenveen reflects that reputation (This is a club that had the Drost twins, keeping the best one, Jeroen, and dumping the other, Henrico, before the age of 20).

If you look at Heerenveen's history in player movements, the club does let a lot of players go free each year. I don't think it necessarily means that the player doesn't have a future. It simply means that the club has others that they feel will provide club with a better financial return. The club also typically does sell big once every couple of years. And Alves looks like one for this year.

As for Johnson, I suspect he will have some options with other mid-table (or lower) Dutch clubs. If TFC can pick him up, that would also be an option.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I did notice Alves' results. 25 goals in 27 games so far will catch some big team's attention. But I doubt Heerenveen will sign big.

Heerenveen is a club in a small city in a less densely populated farming area of the Netherlands. The club makes its big money on the buy and sell. I doubt they have much in the way of revenue streams outside of gate and share of league TV.

The club also has a good youth development system. That means club management is always needing to make decisions about which players to hold. I am almost certain the potential future value is an important part of this discussion. Friesians have a reputation for being shrewd in business. I suspect Heerenveen reflects that reputation (This is a club that had the Drost twins, keeping the best one, Jeroen, and dumping the other, Henrico, before the age of 20).

If you look at Heerenveen's history in player movements, the club does let a lot of players go free each year. I don't think it necessarily means that the player doesn't have a future. It simply means that the club has others that they feel will provide club with a better financial return. The club also typically does sell big once every couple of years. And Alves looks like one for this year.

As for Johnson, I suspect he will have some options with other mid-table (or lower) Dutch clubs. If TFC can pick him up, that would also be an option.

Just heard that this Alves is in Valencia's sights for next year, rumour came up yesterday in fact. So there you go.

Not to be confused with Dani Alves at Sevilla, who is also in line for a major transfer this summer.

Archived