Bernier Transfer Thread

Grizzly

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

The role played by a central midfielder for a particular team depends upon the tactical system favoured by the coach. Bernier is a lot more than just a defensive ball winning type player sitting in front of a defence told to win the ball and then dish it off quickly to a more talented teammate with a short simple pass. He has played quite a bit on the right as well as in central midfield for what it's worth. Are you aware that "allocation money" (i.e. the stuff that Mo has been hording up) can and often is used towards salary paid over and above the cap and that Toronto FC was given $US 900k of it (three major allocations) to help them become competitive as quickly as possible?

Semantics. He plays in the hole in front of the back 4, he is not the danger man in the attck. He is the Ricardo Clark to the Dwayne De Rosario type attacking mid.

The fact of the matter is, will TFC sign him for $400K? Even if they can use allocation funds toward the cap (which i did not know, thanks) would they really want to waste transfer money that could be used to lure attacking players to the club? Is he worth that amount in terms of his contribution to the club? Is he that much better than the options they currently have at that position?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setting aside the first part for now bear in mind that the other options you talk about could easily still be traded and that players picked up on the expansion draft in particular like Cancela, Nagamura and Kotschau (yes I know) may not be part of Mo's longer term plans.

True. And don't take me the wrong way, i'd love to have Bernier here in TO. And he might still come if it's a decision that isn't solely based on money. I just get the feeling that Mo is shrewd with his personnel moves and does not let sentiment force his hand into overpaying. I mean look at Serioux, that was just cold.

The value of a player depends to an extent on what tactics are used. Mo Johnston tends to be a bit of a devotee of 3-5-2 rather than 4-4-2 by all accounts. Worth bearing in mind there were reports on here of Bernier being homesick and seriously considering a return to Canada a few months back and of serious interest from TFC. This article may or may not be relevent:- :)

http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/til-magasinet/article2451039.ece

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Semantics. He plays in the hole in front of the back 4, he is not the danger man in the attck. He is the Ricardo Clark to the Dwayne De Rosario type attacking mid.

The fact of the matter is, will TFC sign him for $400K? Even if they can use allocation funds toward the cap (which i did not know, thanks) would they really want to waste transfer money that could be used to lure attacking players to the club? Is he worth that amount in terms of his contribution to the club? Is he that much better than the options they currently have at that position?

That is exactly the type of thinking that has caused Real Madrid to go trophyless since 2003.

Makelele was so important to their game, yet Madrid felt his position could be filled just as effectively by a cheaper player, and that an attacking player was more worthy of their money.

Seems a bit daft now, doesn't it.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

He's been playing a holding/defensive mid role for Tromsø, and one of his most prized skills in Norway is an ability to orchestrate the attack from the back.

Think that's true of any league really.

The ball winning "linking" player adds so much dimension to a team that his contributions can't be measured without the eye. Add a little goal scoring quality and you've found one of those players who can change an entire team. Make every-single-player look better.

Is Bernier that player? From the precious little I've seen I'm not convinced. But, if I'm given the chance I'll keep my eye on his play, and my mind open. Apparently Norway has been good for him.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

That is exactly the type of thinking that has caused Real Madrid to go trophyless since 2003.

Makelele was so important to their game, yet Madrid felt his position could be filled just as effectively by a cheaper player, and that an attacking player was more worthy of their money.

Seems a bit daft now, doesn't it.

Isn't that extrapolating alot from my original comment? TFC currently have 2 semi-proven MLS forwards under contract. Esky can be a 10 goal scorer if he stays healthy. Buddle had 6 goals last year, and 3 of those were in one game. They need another forward who can be relied on to contribute if someone gets hurt or slumps (or both).

MoJo revealed his wishlist a few days ago:

The team is still looking for a playmaker in central midfield, a left-sided midfielder, a backup goalie and some forward help.

They're already building depth in the defensive back and defensive mid positions. Reda, Kotschau, Braz, Pozniak, Brennan, Boyens, Edu, Nagamura are the glue in the squad. O'Brien, Cancela, Esky and Buddle are the offence. There's room for improvement in the scoring dept. if we're to compete with DCU, Dallas, Houston and LA.

Worth bearing in mind there were reports on here of Bernier being homesick and seriously considering a return to Canada a few months back and of serious interest from TFC. This article may or may not be relevent:- :)

http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/til-magasinet/article2451039.ece

It's an old article, basically confirming that Bernier misses Canada while he is abroad, that he had been approached by TFC officials expressing their interest in having him there, and that he would consider that as an option should there not be any options left in Europe.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Isn't that extrapolating alot from my original comment? TFC currently have 2 semi-proven MLS forwards under contract. Esky can be a 10 goal scorer if he stays healthy. Buddle had 6 goals last year, and 3 of those were in one game. They need another forward who can be relied on to contribute if someone gets hurt or slumps (or both).

MoJo revealed his wishlist a few days ago:

The team is still looking for a playmaker in central midfield, a left-sided midfielder, a backup goalie and some forward help.

They're already building depth in the defensive back and defensive mid positions. Reda, Kotschau, Braz, Pozniak, Brennan, Boyens, Edu, Nagamura are the glue in the squad. O'Brien, Cancela, Esky and Buddle are the offence. There's room for improvement in the scoring dept. if we're to compete with DCU, Dallas, Houston and LA.

At no point have I said that you have no valid points in your arguement, I just don't think signing someone who will likely make us better at any position, regardless of the depth we already have there, is a waste of money.

The depth/fringe players could then be moved in a deal to possibly bring in a player to address TFC's other needs.

If Bernier wasnt Canadian I wouldnt think it such a good idea.

But he is, so it is.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

According to Daniel (a former poster here....) on the impactsoccer.com/forum a former teammates (in Quebec) of Bernier said that Blackburn was interested.

Could an interesting but I'm not sure he's good enough for the EPL.

Daniel no longer posts here?

As for the Blackburn thing, I agree it's interesting but I doubt

if his play is suited for EPL. Germany, Holland, Belgium, maybe.

Guest Jeffery S.

The latest in the Norwegian media was that he was getting rid of his agent because of a lack of offers, is recovering from surgery and was going to be representing himself at least for now. Sounds to me that at this point that his main options are Norway or Toronto FC.

http://www.moss-dagblad.no/mfk-magasinet/article2508929.ece

Sounds to me like a lack of patience and perhaps a bit of lack of realism. If his agent helped him get interest in Norway, it is not the time to dump him, unless he really feels the guy only knows Norway. It is hard to be persistent, but I think he probably should just stick it out.

In any case, Bernier could probably play in 2nd division Spain, if that is where he wants to be. Only being on a Scandinavian contract, he would be much better off to sign for another season and work on the possible transfer for this summer when teams are really looking, when there are dozens of openings. Right now no team in the south of Europe is going to look for a mid in offseason from Norway to solve their mid-season problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Bernier has turned down another offer, this time from danish club Odense. Odense was prepared to pay €375000 for him, but Bernier didn't show any real interest in playing for them. Speculation are that if it had been FC Copenhagen or Brøndby it might have been more interesting for him. As the international transfer windows is closing it looks like he'll be leaving as a Bosman in the summer, although Tromsø haven't given up the possibility that Bernier signs a new contract...

• 2 months later...

Bernier is now looking to extend his contract with Tromsø until the end of 2008. It was Patrice who initated the talks 2 weeks ago. Currently he is also in negotiations with another European club, which according to him "has a big name, but doesn't play in the most attractive league". He is still waiting for the final details in the offer from that club.

http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/til-magasinet/article2707143.ece

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by rednwhite

Bernier is now looking to extend his contract with Tromsø until the end of 2008. It was Patrice who initated the talks 2 weeks ago. Currently he is also in negotiations with another European club, which according to him "has a big name, but doesn't play in the most attractive league". He is still waiting for the final details in the offer from that club.

http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/til-magasinet/article2707143.ece

Big name, league not that attractive: Steaua, CSKA Sophia, Slavia Prague? Dynamo Kiev?

Guest Jeffery S.

Gimnasio y Esgrima de la Plata, that's big, but so is the league.

We could make a thread on the longest club name in pro soccer.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Gimnasio y Esgrima de la Plata, that's big, but so is the league.

We could make a thread on the longest club name in pro soccer.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle?

Seems to me that he is currently playing at a small club in a not very attractive league so it would probably be a step in the right direction playing at a big club in a not very attractive league. Quite a number of the leagues that people are suggesting though are significantly stronger than the Norwegian league and I doubt he would refer to the league as unattractive if it is better than the one he is playing in.

Archived