Hutchinson - the opposite of other Canadians?

Daniel

Usually, it seems that Canadian players fall into more defensive roles when they go to Europe. Examples are strikers Stalteri, Johnson and De Guzman being turned into a defender, a defensive mid and a midfielder repectively. You can see it with other players, Hume moving to midfielder, McKenna turning into a defender (he was a striker up until his early 20's I believe), etc.

Hutchinson, however, has gone the other way, a rarity with Canadian players. Traditionally a holding/offensive midfielder, he came of age as a fullback at the 2003 U20's and was played mainly as a fullback in WCQ 2006 due to Stalteri's suspension. For his clubs, he has gone from central mid to winger and just this past week, to starting striker (and early goalscorer) in the Champions' League!

Picture1-5.png

With the seemingly up-and-up quality of offensive Canadian players (and young ones at that: Friend, Hume, Peters, Johnson, Hutch, JDG2 - fingers crossed -, not to mention other older players and those who've had less than spectacular seasons), here's to hoping they click soon and start scoring regularly more than 1 goal a game!

Hutch has been everywhere on the pitch the poor bastard. That was a nice flick on and give & go with Allback in Copenhagen there. (Pathetick defending by Balde & Lennon but who cares? Overcaution in the box isn't unheard of)

Has Hutch ever been injured? I don't recall him pulling up with anything ever. He's so spidery, gets involved and is a two footed player you'd have thought at some point something would have gotten pulled twisted or broken by now.

And that Danish league isn't exactly for the weak of heart. They play some physical footie out there.

• 4 months later...

According to the Danish ESM* TIPS-Bladet, then Atiba Hutchinson is now being watched closely by the Dutch top-flight side AZ Alkmaar..

http://www.tipsbladet.dk/index.php/news/show/id=132172

use this link to translate :

http://visl.dk/trs/

I dont quite remember when Atiba's contract is going to expire ?, but FCK are in no need of money (but heading for the top 15 richest clubs in the World, this season), so non of their players are for sale unless they get an offer 'too good to refuse', so personally I cant see FCK let him go to a club like AZ Alkmaar that financially is much smaller.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

I'd still put Atiba in the Engine Room. Him and Julian would make a good partnership of the Vieira/Petit mould.

Me too!!

FCK bought Atiba for 2M Euro did they not? If AZ were to offer 5M do you think they would stand in his way? BTW, AZ were a small club playing in an 8000 seat stadium a few years ago, but the owner/chairman of the club has poured alot of money into them...

OK, just read the translated article. He was bought in Jan 2006 for 11 Million Crowns, and his contract runs until 2010.

AZ will have a delegation watching Hutch this Sunday during their game against Horsens....

During the winter Mo Johnson was on sportsworld and said the cost for Atiba was 3.5 million and thus out of Toronto's budget. He didn't say if that was dollars, pounds or euros but at that time the price was 3.5 million.

I wouldn't think Atiba would want to go anywhere outside of a big three league -even then with a top team. I didn't think FCK was a big enough step up for him and let me say I was totally wrong. It seems like a great club and, let's face it, they have a great sponsor. I see FCK as on par with Celtic, only the players and supporters at FCK know how to speak English. :D

I might be biased, but I spent 6 months in the Alkmaar area, so I'd support a move there. In the last half decade or so, AZ have turned the big 3 in Dutch soccer (Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord) into a big 4, and in the last 3 or 4 years, you'd have to put them ahead of Feyenoord in terms of European and domestic success. They play attractive, offensive soccer and their players do often tend to move on to bigger leagues or, unfortunately, to Ajax.

They have a brand new stadium with capacity somewhere in the 20,000-seat range. It would be better than a lateral move, and, I would argue, better than a move into a lower-table premiership side, because of all the European matches. But if a team like Bremen or Bayern or Liverpool or Deportivo came knocking, that would be even better.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I might be biased, but I spent 6 months in the Alkmaar area, so I'd support a move there...[EDIT].... They have a brand new stadium with capacity somewhere in the 20,000-seat range. It would be better than a lateral move, and, I would argue, better than a move into a lower-table premiership side, because of all the European matches.

Well, a few good reasons for not moving to Alkmaar is that :

1) FCK got a stadium capacity somewhere in the 40,000-seat range and an average attendance of 23,629 so far this season.

2) FCK are now 99.9% sure to win the Danish League and play CL next season as well.

3)Having produced a half-season revenue of €74.1 million, FCK are no doubt finally going to enter the Deloitte 'Football Money League' of the top 20 richest clubs in the world, at the end of this season. So the team is only going to get stronger next season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Correct if i'm wrong, but won't FCK have to go through the qualifying phase of the UCL again?

FCK would have to start in the second qualifying round of the Champions League.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/access2007.html

Not only that, if they do progress to the 3rd qualifying round, they will once again be a lower seeded team. That means that they could be drawn with teams like Arsenal, Liverpool, Milan, Real Madrid. Of course, they could get lucky again and draw a less powerful team. So there is no guarantee that they will return to the Group Stage.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

FCK would have to start in the second qualifying round of the Champions League.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/access2007.html

Not only that, if they do progress to the 3rd qualifying round, they will once again be a lower seeded team. That means that they could be drawn with teams like Arsenal, Liverpool, Milan, Real Madrid. Of course, they could get lucky again and draw a less powerful team. So there is no guarantee that they will return to the Group Stage.

FCK are going to be seeded in the 2nd qualifying round of the CL and should they get eliminated as unseeded in the 3rd round (They were good enough to eliminate Ajax this season), they will still enter the UEFA cup. At the moment ther is a bigger chance of FCK playing 3rd round CL qualifiers than Alkmaar that still could end up playing UEFA cup next season.

Archived