Women's Gold Cup

terpfan68

Soccer Canada website

Gold Cup schedule announced; Canada will face Panama or Jamaica on Nov. 22nd

New York, USA - CONCACAF has announced the schedule of matches in the 2006 CONCACAF Women’s Gold Cup™ following a draw held on Monday at the offices of the CONCACAF General Secretariat in New York City, USA.

The third edition of the Women’s Gold Cup will have Canada, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago and USA competing for the CONCACAF title along with two guaranteed spots in the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup in China.

In first round action, Mexico will play against Trinidad & Tobago with Panama having been drawn to face Jamaica. Both these first round encounters will take place at the Tropical Park Stadium in Miami, Florida on Sunday November 19th, 2006.

Canada will play Panama or Jamaica for World Cup birth on November 22nd

The victors in these two first round games will then advance to the semifinals of the event with the winner of Panama vs. Jamaica drawn to play against Canada while the team advancing from Mexico vs. Trinidad & Tobago will meet reigning Women’s Gold Cup Champions, USA. The semifinals take place on Wednesday November 22nd at The Home Depot Center on the campus of California State University, Dominguez Hills (Carson, California).

Tournament play concludes with the CONCACAF Women’s Gold Cup™ Final and a third-place play-off game on Sunday, November 26th, also to be held at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

The Champion team and the runner-up will automatically qualify to the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup in China. The third-place finisher in the CONCACAF event will face Japan (from the Asian Football Confederation) in a home-and-away playoff for the final berth in the FIFA tournament.

'I watched the results of the draw with excitement - as this represented a first time open draw for Gold cup and World cup qualifications on the Women’s side. By drawn into a semifinal against either Panama or Jamaica, we are cleary going to face an opponent that has proved much improvement since last time around. Both teams won their first stage groups, with Panama eliminating normal 4th ranked team Costa Rica,' said Head coach Even Pellerud.

'Our team has an extensive fall schedule leading up to the crucial tournament in November, and we will be well prepared for these encounters - knowing that another participation in World cup will further develop soccer in our country.'

For additional informationon the 2006 CONCACAF Women’s Gold Cup, visit: www.concacaf.com

2006 CONCACAF WOMEN’S GOLD CUP™ SCHEDULE:

First Round – Tropical Park Stadium; Miami, Florida

19 November 2006

PANAMA – JAMAICA (17:00)

MEXICO – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (19:30)

Semifinals – The Home Depot Center; Carson, California

22 November 2006

CANADA – PAN/JAM (16:30)

USA – MEX/TRI (19:00)

Finals – The Home Depot Center; Carson, California

26 November 2006

Third Place (Semifinal Losers) (15:00)

Championship (Semifinal Winners) (17:30)

CONCACAF WOMEN’S GOLD CUP™ HISTORY

YEAR - CHAMPION - RUNNER-UP - VENUES

2000 - USA - Brazil - Foxboro, Hershey, Louisville (USA)

2002 - USA - Canada - Fullerton, Pasadena, Seattle (USA); Victoria (CAN)

Will any of these games be televised?

Will the team be the same team that finished second in Korea?

Will the US "beef-up" their team because of their poor performance in Korea? They tied Denmark and only beat Canada 1 - 0.

If Canada can't beat either Panama (ranked 61st) or Jamaica (ranked 81st) what makes anyone think they could beat Japan (ranked 13th). Canada lucked out on the draw by avoiding Mexico (ranked 25th). We could probably win with the under 20 team. This has to be the all time easiest way to qualify for a World Cup.

For those interested, WNT plans for this week are:

Monday - Everyone back in Vancouver

Tuesday – Train at SFU Field 4 Turf from 10-12 and from 3-5

Wednesday – Train at SFU Field 4 Turf from 10-12. There will be an afternoon session but TBD where.

Thursday – Game vs North Shore U16 Boys at William Griffin Field, North Vancouver 3-5pm.

Friday – Travel Day – Flight leaves at 2.30pm.

Roster will no doubt be released during the week. Nothing new heard about the 'three musketeers' but I suspect it is highly unlikely any of them will appear on the roster.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

... Nothing new heard about the 'three musketeers' but I suspect it is highly unlikely any of them will appear on the roster.

That'll be the day. I don't think we will hear more until after the GC. Linford is in Hungary for a few days anyway.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

What is the benefit of playing against a U16 boys team from the North Shore? Could they not find a more suitable opponent for a friendly?

Beside getting a lesson from the boys on how to play passing, there is little else. According to Pellerud, he said the only local teams that can give his women team some opposition are boys teams. That the CSA does not give him enough money to play more international games. That was before Kerfoot opened his wallet, so I don't know what is the situation now.

Having the WNT play boys teams is nothing new. When my son played on the U-14 Ontario All-Star team in the early nineties the national women's senior and U-20 squads that trained at the same park in Toronto back then often scrimmaged with the boys. Anyway, take the national team pool players out of any of the local women's club teams and I'd be inclined to agree with Pellerud. I suggest since the Canadian women are only back in camp for a week before they head off for the GC, playing another local boys team just before they head off is probably not a bad idea. Also, as far as any coach is concerned, there is NEVER enough money!

The Mia Hamm lead US women's world cup winners would regularly loose to 17 year old men's teams. It is not the passing that usually beats them it is the speed at which the ball is played. My daughters Manitoba Champion women's team can play 15 year old premier men's (boys) teams almost even. The women pass better than the boys, but can't match them with speed.

"We have conceded too many goals," Pellerud said Friday after naming his 20-player roster. "It's going to be a big focus for me this time to encourage our ability to defend better."

I wonder if it has occurred to Pellerud that the problem is his coaching of the his so called zone defending. Any well organized team with some ability can beat his zone with a little patience. The instances where they have given away early leads is testimony to his failure. I true believe that the players could do so much better if they were let to play properly.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I wonder if it has occurred to Pellerud that the problem is his coaching of the his so called zone defending. Any well organized team with some ability can beat his zone with a little patience.

Ref are you saying zonal defending is bad or just Pellerud's version?

Bill

Archived