Women's Gold Cup

terpfan68

What Pellerud coaches as zone defending is not yielding top results. He is the first one to recognize that "his system" is difficult to master. Be that as it may, he's had 6 plus years to teach it! It may work better for all concerned if he could decide on a stable line of defenders of good experience and history. Either he choses players that are too much of ball watchers or his system leads to too much ball watching.

What do you mean by "not yielding top results"? Check out Canada's record against top teams. Beat Sweden, win and a tie against France, two wins against Italy, two ties agains China and a 0 - 1 loss to # 2 US. What do you want, 10 - 0 wins agains the Italian men's team? You can disagree with Pellerud's coaching, but give him credit for the results. His only poor result is the failure to qualify for the last Olympics.

Hey Bill Ault and terpfan68.

It is Pellerud who said "We have conceded too many goals".

The rest is my digression and entirely mine. It is how I see Pellerud's defending system. You don't have to agree. If you think that recent results are good, that is great. I used to give Pellerud credit for many things, I don't do anymore.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Is Kara Lang injured, or has coach Pellerud finally realized that she hasn't developed into the start everyone thought she'd be?

Lang is recovering from surgery to one of her knees. She will be out for a few months yet.

Jamaica trashed Panama 2-0 today in Miami. Canada girls will need to be very sharp if they hope to get past Jamaica who has had a clean sheet for 7 games now.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Jamaica trashed Panama 2-0 today in Miami. Canada girls will need to be very sharp if they hope to get past Jamaica who has had a clean sheet for 7 games now.

How did you get the results? CONMEBOL puts the last result of the South American tournament but CONCACAF doesn't seem to have a clue with the Gold Cup.

Sullivan's goal helps Jamaica earn 2-0 win over Panama in Gold Cup quarter Canadian Press

Published: Sunday, November 19, 2006

MIAMI (AP) - Audia Sullivan's goal early in the match stood up, while Venicia Reid added another goal to lead Jamaica to a 2-0 victory over Panama on Sunday night in a CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup quarter-final match.

Jamaica still has not allowed a goal in six matches of Gold Cup play and has outscored opponents 38-0. The victory advanced Jamaica to the Gold Cup semifinal against Canada on Wednesday at Carson, Calif. Canada and the United States, which won the previous Gold Cup titles in 2000 and 2002, earned byes into the semifinal round.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/soccer/story.html?id=31a1cb7d-2d86-48a4-a1c4-426a64b50866&k=46225

quote:Originally posted by UWFShooter

How did you get the results? CONMEBOL puts the last result of the South American tournament but CONCACAF doesn't seem to have a clue with the Gold Cup.

The Concacaf site is pretty well useless. A good source is the Reggeaboyz forum

http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=019062;p=0#000016

The Ref:

Yes, apparently Jamaica does play Mexico for third place.

At stake, an opportunity to play Japan with the winner also qualifying for China.

I read this in one of the newspaper accounts or on the internet so does not come from first hand knowledge but likely is correct.

quote:Originally posted by bmac

The Ref:

Yes, apparently Jamaica does play Mexico for third place.

At stake, an opportunity to play Japan with the winner also qualifying for China.

I read this in one of the newspaper accounts or on the internet so does not come from first hand knowledge but likely is correct.

Yep. Gerry confirmed this on the broadcast last night.

Archived