100% Canadian @ TFC

ted

I have held off on making a lot of comments on TFC. I was a proponent of a Canadian League but, as I indicated several years ago, the arrival of MLS in Canada renders any and all discussions of a national league moot.

Not gonna happen.

Ever.

(OK, maybe in 50 or a hundred years things will change but that's too far to matter here.)

What concerns me now is making the best of what we have and I have some hope that TFC (+Whitecaps + Impact) in the MLS and smaller markets in USL Div 1 can be made to work.

What disturbs me however is the following revelation from an article in the Globe and Mail that says:

quote:Teams have a restriction on imports, four a team with the balance domestic talent. Toronto FC will be allowed three U.S. players among its "domestic" personnel.

Now one of my main complaints about a single MLS team in Canada versus a whole league was that the number of spots for Canadian players was too low. Now they are saying the number will be even lower?

Not a good sign. :(

If anything, the domestic player restrictions should be tightened. If this country cannot produce enough players of a high enough calibre to fill the roster of ONE MLS team then we should all just pack up and turn over the fields to baseball.

We should have more than enough Canadian players fighting for spots on this team to fill not only those three spots but the current four spots for "foreign" players. Sure a couple of "marquee" players on the team might help but do we really need to allow 7 spots to be taken by non-Canadians. Do we ever want to see a "Canadian" team on the field playing with only three actual Canadians?

I hope TFC will ignore this "opportunity" and stick with a 100% Canadian roster. Anything else and frankly they will be admitting to all the "ethno-snobs" that Canadians cannot play the game.

And if that happens will they ever get them to come out to support the team?

Not likely.

I think Ted the addition of 3 US players is a temporary measure if I remember correctly. The idea was to ensure Toronto was competitive immediately as they were not sure they could attract enough Canadian players back from abroad or from the USL sides in the first couple of years.

Personally, I have no idea how they could ever enforce that these 3 additional players only go to Americans under Canadian immigration laws. Basically, it gives preference to Americans over other foreigners...that simply cannot be enforceable under Canadian law. Of course, you can restrict the number of "imports" on a roster as the CFL does but you cannot require those imports to be of one nationality.

if TFC was really about making up the core of our MNT, then yes the low number of Canadian spots would suck. But its not, it will have little impact on the MNT, so it doesnt really matter. lets just enjoy the team for what it is, a pro club that happens to be located in TO that will have a few Canadians on it. better than the lynx anyways.

Giving no preference to Canadians vs. Americans is one thing in a North America league. Both nationalities are treated equally so this would be acceptable to Canadian immigration officials. Giving special preference to Americans on a Canadian side where Canadians do not get equal treatment on American side is problematic whether or not Toronto FC uses the quota or not.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I hear you Ted and your passion and objectives are laudable but this is the professional entertainment business first and foremost.

That's not how the CSA tried to sell the MSL to Canada, but that's the political power business first and foremost. Yes I lost big time, as you were so quick to point out after the deal was finalized, but unfortunately so did Canadian soccer and the Canadian taxpayer. The final push needed to get the deal done would have never succeeded if it was sold on a "this is the professional entertainment business first and foremost" basis, and that Kevan Pipe and Andy Sharpe both stated that this would be the best way to develop Canadian talent. Yes, I lost, but I was right when I said that a Toronto MLS team would only feature a token Canadian at best. Congratulations Kevan, you had sex with Canadian soccer yet again.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Given that at least 11 out of 18 of the first team roster will be Canadian that is a misrepresentation of the situation.

Don't take Robert's comments seriously.

He has a personal vendetta against the CSA and Kevan Pipe that is actually rather comical at times.

quote:Originally posted by ted

What concerns me now is making the best of what we have

I myself was not a proponent of MLS in this country, and similar to you, am an advocate of a Canadian League. I agree, that is over, and may now never happen.

We should cut our losses, and get behind TFC. You are completely right in your assertion that we need to make the best of this opportunity. Here's hoping the Impact and the Whitecaps can join up too, and we can make this a strong force for Canadian soccer, as it appears this(MLS) is the path we are going to take.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

They don't HAVE to have 3 extra Americans, but they can.

Sorry I was not clear enough. It is not a matter of law or of regulations.

I am asking TFC to resist the temptation.

I am suggesting that for sporting reasons they do everything in their power to assemble a 100% Canadian roster.

I am suggesting that for reasons of marketing they do NOT do that which is allowed under the rules because the more Canadians they have on the team the better marketing opportunities they will have in the long run for Canadian fans (as opposed to Canadian citizens who support foreign teams over Canadian ones.)

Making the best of it means building a competitive team with positive marketing that builds connections with the community.

If, as allowed under the rules, TFC were to ever field an eleven-man squad on the field with only 3 Canadians it would be a disaster for Canadian soccer. I am just hoping that they consider this as they assemble their roster for 2007.

I am suggesting that for sporting reasons they do everything in their power to assemble a 100% Canadian roster.

I am suggesting that for reasons of marketing they do NOT do that which is allowed under the rules because the more Canadians they have on the team the better marketing opportunities they will have in the long run for Canadian fans (as opposed to Canadian citizens who support foreign teams over Canadian ones.)

Making the best of it means building a competitive team with positive marketing that builds connections with the community.

If, as allowed under the rules, TFC were to ever field an eleven-man squad on the field with only 3 Canadians it would be a disaster for Canadian soccer. I am just hoping that they consider this as they assemble their roster for 2007.

Mo Johnston has repeatedly said he is looking to build the best squad he can, and that will include American players. hopefully it will be more than 3 canadian starters. Brennan, Braz, Bernier?, Sutton?, who else is good enough to start and is willing to play in MLS and on Astroturf?

The reasoning behind the extra American players is because it may be hard to sign all of the Canadian players of MLS playing level interested in playing in the MLS in the first year. Many of these players are currently in Europe with valid contracts and their clubs may not be willing to let them go or will demand exorbitant fees. I too hope that we have as many Canadian starters as possible in the first year. I think it would be even a bigger disaster for Canadian soccer though if TFC plays mostly Canadians but is absolutly horrible in the first year than if they can perform decently with a mixed team. I would, however, be very upset if the extra American quota is not reduced in subsequent years unless the whole league allows Canadians and Americans to be considered as non-foreigners.

Try asking a player the difference between FieldTurf installed three years ago and FieldTurf installed in 2006 even - no comparison. Those who condemn current generation FieldTurf out of hand or compare it with AstroTurf know nothing of what they speak.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Try asking a player the difference between FieldTurf installed three years ago and FieldTurf installed in 2006 even - no comparison. Those who condemn current generation FieldTurf out of hand or compare it with AstroTurf know nothing of what they speak.

Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby. Fake is still fake. Just like breast implants, the technology of today's sillycones maybe be superior to that of ten years ago, but if you really like real tits, then there's nothing like grabbing on to a real pair of 100% natural melons. The rest is only cosmetics, just like the Toronto stadium surface. But hey, here's to all you guys forking out ten grand to have your old lady look a little more attractive.[:P]

As far as the number of Canadians, that are eligible to play for Canada's national team, and that will be featured in Toronto's opening day starting line-up, well I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer to find out who is right, won't we Dick.

Archived