Canadians abroad: September 29 - October 5, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Saturday, September 30

7:00 PM on FSWC — Canada/United States: United Soccer Leagues First Division - Final

Rochester (Charles Gbeke) vs. Vancouver

11:00 PM (tape delay) on FSWC — United States: Major League Soccer

Houston (Dwayne De Rosario, Pat Onstad, Adrian Serioux) vs. DC

Sunday, October 1

11:00 AM on FSWC — England: Premier League

Tottenham (Paul Stalteri) vs. Portsmouth

Monday, October 2

3:00 PM on FSWC — England: Premier League

Watford vs. Fulham (Tomasz Radzinski)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for September 29 - October 5, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Ian Hume starts at St. Andrews as Leicester are away to Birmingham. Nil-nil. They should be just into the 2nd half I believe

QPR lead Saints 2-1, Bircham patrolling the midfield.

At Fir Park Motherwell have the run of Rhian Dodds Kilmarnock up 3-nil into the 2nd half.. Dodds on the bench.

Away up in Inverness, Richard Hastings starts and is still on. Nil-nil against Dunfermline so far.

Imhof on the bench as Bochum trail Alemania Aachen 2-1. Match should be just finishing off any minute now.

Big Kev McKenna’s Cottbus is getting theirs this afternoon. 3-1 for Arminia Bielefeld currently after Cottbus went up 1-nil in the 22nd on a Vlad Munteanu marker. Youch.

Late starts in the Eredivisie as per usual.

From the Soccernet preview to tomorrow's AZ Alkmaar v ADO Den Haag fixture:

ADO are still waiting for their season to get off the ground after losing all five of their games, including a 2-0 reverse to PSV Eindhoven last time out in a match which also saw goalkeeper Stefan Postma suffer a broken leg.

Coach Frans Adelaar said: ``The team suffered a sucker punch after Postma broke his leg. It was the turning point of the match in which we were the equals of PSV until that moment.

``It is always a big loss when a first-team regular is injured for a longer time, but we have had a whole week to train with new goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar.''

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Not an easy start for Josh facing the #1 team in Holland so far. AZ doesn't have trouble scoring, scoring 8 in their first game of the season and scoring 10 in their last Dutch Cup game.

Good luck to him!!!

On a positive note, if he let's in 8 goals, he probably will not be poached by another country.:D

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

On a positive note, if he let's in 8 goals, he probably will not be poached by another country.:D

héhéhé

Crazy stuff.......we're at a time where we have to hope that our young kids abroad don't play that well because we might loose them to another country.....sad time I say.

Huge win for Houston Dynamo as they get a late goal to sneak past runaway league leaders DC United tonight in Houston. The win combined with an RSL tie clinches a playoff sport for the Dynamo. Dwayne goes 90 but Adrian Serioux is subbed off for Ryan Cochrane in the 66th minute.

Good game for Ante Jazic as well as Frank Yallop's LA galaxy keep their playoff hopes alive with a 3-0 win in the 'Super Classico'. They are 3 points off a playoff spot with 2 games remaining.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Why the hell is it not just the "classico"?

I still think they should just call it the LA derby, seeing as it's, what? a few years old? The *first* one was dubbed the Toyota Superclassico or something awful of the sort.

Every match between the two teams is dubbed the "Honda Superclassico".

The teams actually got sponsorship for those specific matches, which is good news, IMO.

Final Score between AZ and ADO den Haag is 2-2.

Great result for ADO and Josh Wagenaar who got his first start in goal.

Jonathan de Guzman won 3-2 with Feyenoord against Nac Breda.

Rob Friend played 90 mins as Heerenveen drew 0-0 with Psv.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Huge result for Josh Wagenaar and ADO den Haag who gets their first point of the season tying AZ 2-2. ADO fans seems please with the performance of our young keeper. Good stuff.

From the match report on Soccernet:

Cziommer's free-kick from the right was met by the head of Jaliens, who directed home the equaliser.

The substitute could have won it for AZ 10 minutes later with a long-range effort, but found Wagenaar equal to his effort.

Just seen the highlights of the AZ - ADO game and I wasn't impressed by Wagenaar at all. He made 2 decent saves but looked very insecure when coming off his line. He just didnt knew what he was doing and AZ could have scored a couple more...

Offcourse it's not fair to judge a player on 1 game but he can prove himself at Ado because he's going to get a lot more shots his way..

Copenhagen/Hutchison win Danish derby, fans riot

(Adds fans arrested)

COPENHAGEN, Oct 1 (Reuters) - FC Copenhagen took the lead in the Danish Superleague after beating city rivals Brondby 1-0 at home in a fast-paced derby on Sunday.

More than 100 people were arrested in fighting after the game.

Swedish international Fredrik Berglund scored early in the second half when he headed a rebound into the empty net after Oscar Wendt's shot had hit the post.

Both sides wasted early scoring opportunities and Copenhagen took control after Brondby defender Mark Howard was sent off in the 35th minute for receiving a second yellow card for a foul on midfielder Atiba Hutchinson.

Copenhagen now lead the table with 23 points after 10 matches, while Brondby are fifth on 19 points.

After the game, scores of Brondby fans ripped out seats and threw them at security forces and Copenhagen fans.

Danish media said fights between fans broke out in several locations around Copenhagen and quoted police officials as saying more than 100 people were arrested, most of them Brondby supporters.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Just seen the highlights of the AZ - ADO game and I wasn't impressed by Wagenaar at all. He made 2 decent saves but looked very insecure when coming off his line. He just didnt knew what he was doing and AZ could have scored a couple more...

Offcourse it's not fair to judge a player on 1 game but he can prove himself at Ado because he's going to get a lot more shots his way..

ADO fans are pretty happy with him but are concerns with his kicking accuracy.

The important thing for Josh is to have that first Eredivisie game under the belt. With the nerves and lack of experience (he was playing NCAA soccer a year ago) it was important to have a good first game and they got their first point against one of the best team.

What will be more telling is how he does from now on and how he improves. It takes sometimes to get used to the speed and getting to know your defense. He's very talented and he should have a great future but he's still pretty young for a keeper.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Every match between the two teams is dubbed the "Honda Superclassico".

The teams actually got sponsorship for those specific matches, which is good news, IMO.

Superclásico (spelling on yours right?) is quite typically used for Barcelona-Madrid or vice versa in Spain. It is rare to hear it for any other match, if you do it is usually a bit of hyperbole or used to describe a derby like tonight's Real-Atlético, but by an exagerrating local press.

I would imagine that either in Spain we got it from the Mexicans or some other Spanish-speaking league, or they got it from us here. I wonder if it might be used for Boca-River, the most famous Spanish-speaking rivalry in the Western Hemisphere.

My very best friend in Holland is also a former ADO and Dutch international as well as an honorary member of that club and former vice president. Sofar his report card on Josh is good,although I have not received a report on todays game.It is funny that my brother is the president of the AZ supporters club and when Feyenoord played against them I told him that I had asked Jonathan to score the winning goal which he did. My brother would not talk to me for months. I wonder what he has to say about Josh.Will keep you posted. Hey they take their soccer very serious over there.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Copenhagen/Hutchison win Danish derby, fans riot

(Adds fans arrested)

COPENHAGEN, Oct 1 (Reuters) - FC Copenhagen took the lead in the Danish Superleague after beating city rivals Brondby 1-0 at home in a fast-paced derby on Sunday.

More than 100 people were arrested in fighting after the game.

Swedish international Fredrik Berglund scored early in the second half when he headed a rebound into the empty net after Oscar Wendt's shot had hit the post.

Both sides wasted early scoring opportunities and Copenhagen took control after Brondby defender Mark Howard was sent off in the 35th minute for receiving a second yellow card for a foul on midfielder Atiba Hutchinson.

Copenhagen now lead the table with 23 points after 10 matches, while Brondby are fifth on 19 points.

After the game, scores of Brondby fans ripped out seats and threw them at security forces and Copenhagen fans.

Danish media said fights between fans broke out in several locations around Copenhagen and quoted police officials as saying more than 100 people were arrested, most of them Brondby supporters.

From the FCK website...

Atiba Hutchinson - F.C. Copenhagens Man of The Match

After the break Copenhagen – and especially Atiba Hutchinson - looked determined to maintain their dominance. “Hutch” had a good effort after two minutes, but hammered the ball over the bar, and the minute after he had a good shot blocked by Brøndby-captain Per Nielsen. In the 50th minute the Canadian served the ball perfectly for left back Oscar Wendt, and the Swedish U21-international hit the post only to see his fellow countryman Fredrik Berglund follow up and send the ball over the line with an easy header.

I also recall another man of the match for Atiba a few games back. I really hope to see him in midfield for Canada against Jamaica or Hungary.

Guest Jeffery S.

Once again we were without sign of De Guzman as Deportivo beat Betis on Sunday. If this keeps up look for a transfer out in December, as it does not make too much sense to not play at all, he needs some minutes. Wonder how he is feeling about this all? Also wonder if there is some physical reason I have not heard of, but don't think that is it.

I seriously doubt he would go to another team in Spain if he opted to accept a transfer or loan, he has not really made enough of a name for himself here. A likely move would be back to a mid-table Bundesliga team.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Once again we were without sign of De Guzman as Deportivo beat Betis on Sunday. If this keeps up look for a transfer out in December, as it does not make too much sense to not play at all, he needs some minutes. Wonder how he is feeling about this all? Also wonder if there is some physical reason I have not heard of, but don't think that is it.

I seriously doubt he would go to another team in Spain if he opted to accept a transfer or loan, he has not really made enough of a name for himself here. A likely move would be back to a mid-table Bundesliga team.

I would love to see him at my beloved Feyenoord. He then could play with his little brother...[8D]

quote:Originally posted by DjinnX

From the FCK website...

Atiba Hutchinson - F.C. Copenhagens Man of The Match

After the break Copenhagen – and especially Atiba Hutchinson - looked determined to maintain their dominance. “Hutch” had a good effort after two minutes, but hammered the ball over the bar, and the minute after he had a good shot blocked by Brøndby-captain Per Nielsen. In the 50th minute the Canadian served the ball perfectly for left back Oscar Wendt, and the Swedish U21-international hit the post only to see his fellow countryman Fredrik Berglund follow up and send the ball over the line with an easy header.

I also recall another man of the match for Atiba a few games back. I really hope to see him in midfield for Canada against Jamaica or Hungary.

... and some highlights to go with this review and good performance from Atiba, though he still seem to lack some sharpness when he try to score goals..

FC København v Brøndby 1-0 (0-0)

red card: Mark Howard (35)

1-0 Fredrik Berglund (50)

Attendance: 40,463

Highlights :

http://www.dr.dk/extention/playWindowsMedianyheder.aframe?id=231871&ListType=nyheder&trace=off

or

http://www.dr.dk/player/Player.asp?subsite=nyheder&WMPVer=9.0.0.2980&id=231871&name=&video=#

Archived