CSL - Sept 7 - Tor Croatia v Serb White Eagles [R]

nawarr1975

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Then such a situation should not be allowed to exist within a domestic Canadian league let encouraged as the CSL has done. This is not international soccer. That's exactly why I believe ethnic teams are a bad idea from the get go.

Yeah, but ethnic teams are a bigger draw. And the bottom line is making money, something the Serbian team has done this season.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

They're still a bad idea because they foster ill-feeling and keep alive animosities and feelings that people supposedly came to Canada to escape. Exploiting this for financial gain is base and destructive to the Canadian larger social fabric.

any way, I am going now to see the game ,I will let you know about it soon

quote:Originally posted by Breakwood

The croatians were in total control all game...the Serbians only had one chance, a free-kick that hit the cross-bar. Again, the Serbian fans went over board and started yelling slurs and making monkey sounds when one of Croatia's black players was taken off.

Haven't seen that much Serbian anger since the Kosovo conflict.

I have to agree with Richard and say that ethnic teams are a bad idea. If there is a lot of animosity between the various ethnic groups (eg: Serbians and Croatians) then it doesn't tempt the general public into taking in a game of an evening. However, the CSL (late 80's and early 90's) didn't exactly work either. It's difficult to know which way to go with domestic soccer in Canada. If the Serbian White Eagles are making money though, the more power to them.

quote:Originally posted by Breakwood

The croatians were in total control all game...the Serbians only had one chance, a free-kick that hit the cross-bar. Again, the Serbian fans went over board and started yelling slurs and making monkey sounds when one of Croatia's black players was taken off.

yes ...serbian fan should be penalies and fine( by CSL) for their ( racism) behavior last game, things like this should not be happend in canada, I hope the referee will report what the serbian fan was yeling to the black croations player all the game ...

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Ethnic teams are what makes this league survive. Im not saying there good and all.. but id rather see the CSL have 500 people to watch a game for Croatia and serbia... then 25 moms and pops watching the durham storm and london city

If that's what works in Ontario, then I wish the CPSL all the best.

There's no real money in playing soccer here in Canada. If there were you would see real professional teams with Croations and Serbians playing side by side.

One of the reason's ethnic players stick to their own nationality teams is the fact that they are pressured to do so by their own supporters including their parents, be they Italian, Croation, Serbian, Portuguese or any nationality that supports local clubs.

It's the reality of soccer in Ontario. Maybe it's different in the West.

It is very seldom that as youths these ethnic players play for other than their own clubs. It is a source of pride for club and the nationality.

It is extremely difficult to field these ethnic players for teams that play in the higher level leagues (even though their parents realize it would be good for the player) such as the OYSL premier division. Their parents and their clubs would rather win the local recreation or district league than allow their better players to "move up". It hasn't changed in my lifetime and isn't about to soon.

All on this board realize this as a fact of life. If you don't you're kidding yourself.

So why now the disenchantment with the CSL following the pattern established? They are following the flow; going with what is; trying to establish a fan base; maybe the money will follow.

I also would prefer to not have it as such, but if it moves the league forward and achieves some "success for soccer" in general, I'm all for it.

JMHO

quote:Originally posted by T5

There's no real money in playing soccer here in Canada. If there were you would see real professional teams with Croations and Serbians playing side by side.

One of the reason's ethnic players stick to their own nationality teams is the fact that they are pressured to do so by their own supporters including their parents, be they Italian, Croation, Serbian, Portuguese or any nationality that supports local clubs.

It is very seldom that as youths these ethnic players play for other than their own clubs. It is a source of pride for club and the nationality.

It is extremely difficult to field these ethnic players for teams that play in the higher level leagues (even though their parents realize it would be good for the player) such as the OYSL premier division. Their parents and their clubs would rather win the local recreation or district league than allow their better players to "move up". It hasn't changed in my lifetime and isn't about to soon.

All on this board realize this as a fact of life. If you don't you're kidding yourself.

So why now the disenchantment with the CSL following the pattern established? They are following the flow; going with what is; trying to establish a fan base; maybe the money will follow.

I also would prefer to not have it as such, but if it moves the league forward and achieves some "success for soccer" in general, I'm all for it.

JMHO

I don't see how holding players back from playing in higher levels "achieves success for soccer." It's just another reason why it stinks and is counter-productive.

And no, it is not the same on the Prairies. Sure we have ethnic based amateur teams, but none that have large loyal followings. National champion clubs like Lucania and Sons of Italy are lucky to get 30 friends and family to watch their match. And they aren't watching because they are italian, they are generally watching because they have friends and family playing. And there's no more italians playing than scottish.

I never saw anyone held back from playing with the Winnipeg Fury so they could play for their ethnic bush-league club.

Do you think soccer fans in Winnipeg are interested in watching TO Croatia or Serbia, or Italia ? We have our own ethinc teams and nobody cares, so don't expect anyone to care about TO's. I can't think of anything more hated out here than a TO ethnic club.

So if the CPSL wants to truly be a CSL, they can start acting like a true national league (as the CSL was), instead of another Ontario based ethnic league.

quote:Originally posted by T5

JMHO

They aren't fans.They are a fanatical group, (THE ULTRA-SERBS / www.ultra-serbs.com) which also have a club in London.

Where ever the White Eagles Play, they will be there.A few weeks

ago they removed a ton of vidio clips and pictures off their web site.I down loaded a few of them.They were brutal.

Now all I have to do is find where I put them.When I do

I'll post them.

I thought the nationality of these children of immigrants whose parents push them into ethnic teams would be Canadian.

If so many people think this ethnic structure is bad for the development of players and others think it is bad for Canadian unity et al then why is the CSL endorsing it so thoroughly by introducing their 'international division'? This is a complete endorsment by the CSL of the corrosive ethnic based soccer structure.

Archived