Josh Simpson to Kaiserslautern

Grizzly

The confirmation was already posted in the Canadians abroad thread but I think this deserves a thread of its own. Josh goes from a 2nd tier relegation squad in country not known for developing young talent to a recently relegated promotion favourite in a country with a good reputation for developing young players. Good choice and situation for Josh. He has signed a 3 year contract to 2009 meaning KL has some faith in him. Here is the German article from Kaiserslautern under the title FCK Signs Canadian International Josh Simpson. New coach Wolfgang Wolf former coach of Wolfsburg where his name was even more fitting ;) had this to say, "A very fast player who can cross at full speed and also tries to convert scoring chances himself" after which the article mentions that he is left footed. Congrats to Josh:

1. FCK holt kanadischen Nationalspieler Josh Simpson

simpson2_206.jpg

Josh Simpson im Trikot der kanadischen Nationalelf

Der 1. FC Kaiserslautern hat am Dienstag eine weitere Neuverpflichtung perfekt gemacht. Aus der englischen First Division (2. Liga) wechselt der kanadische Nationalspieler Josh Simpson (23) vom FC Millwall zum Betzenberg. Der ablösefreie Mittelfeldspieler erhält einen Drei-Jahres-Vertrag bis zum 30. Juni 2009.

Der 1,80 Meter große und 70 Kilogramm schwere Simpson spielte seit 2004 in Millwall und zuvor für die University of Portland. „Ein sehr schneller Spieler, der aus vollem Lauf flanken kann und auch selbst den Abschluss sucht“, äußerte Trainer Wolfgang Wolf über den Linksfuß, der bislang 13 A-Länderspiele für Kanada absolviert hat.

For once, I'm laughing at your message and it's NOT because of your commentary - "Wolfgang Wolf former coach of Wolfsburg." F'ing brilliant name and title.

But seriously, I agree with you Grizz, as this is a fantastic move for the guy, a player who still has a huge upswing. Josh (like Adrien and Peters) still owes his ass to Yallop IMHO. It still boggles the mind that he was a humble University player not too long ago. Great to see he's gonna get more than one real crack overseas. Way to go Josh!!

quote:Originally posted by nolando

For once, I'm laughing at your message and it's NOT because of your commentary - "Wolfgang Wolf former coach of Wolfsburg." F'ing brilliant name and title.

But seriously, I agree with you Grizz, as this is a fantastic move for the guy, a player who still has a huge upswing. Josh (like Adrien and Peters) still owes his ass to Yallop IMHO. It still boggles the mind that he was a humble University player not too long ago. Great to see he's gonna get more than one real crack overseas. Way to go Josh!!

Frank has been very helpful. He is one of the first to get a call from interested teams and his input is well respected.

Josh had offers from Stuttgart, Odense, New York and Kaiserslautern. He had strong interest from QPR, 1860, DC United, and Columbus. Kaiserslautern was not the most money but Josh said it seemed to be the best fit at this point in his career. He said he wants to be part of fighting for promotion. He is expecting significantly more playing time at Kaiserslautern than he would get at Stuttgart. Odense was a very good offer in terms of coach, team and development. Just not the same money available when you compare an attendance of 30 to 40 thousand to 10 to 15 thousand.

quote:Originally posted by VI

Josh had offers from Stuttgart, Odense, New York and Kaiserslautern. He had strong interest from QPR, 1860, DC United, and Columbus. Kaiserslautern was not the most money but Josh said it seemed to be the best fit at this point in his career. He said he wants to be part of fighting for promotion. He is expecting significantly more playing time at Kaiserslautern than he would get at Stuttgart. Odense was a very good offer in terms of coach, team and development. Just not the same money available when you compare an attendance of 30 to 40 thousand to 10 to 15 thousand.

Interesting to see that he had garnered considerable interest from MLS clubs.

I was selfishly hoping that he'd somehow end up at Toronto FC next year, but nonetheless this is fantastic news for a player that has become one of my favourites on the national team in very little time.

This is great news, congrats to Josh. He is a damn good player, fun to watch. Also good to hear the positive comments re: Yallop. He carries our hopes for 2010 after all. Josh will have another young BC boy Marinko Maras to mentor at K'lautern. Does Josh know him (or know of him) VI?

quote:Originally posted by VI

Just a brief mention of Josh turning down New York. Link from New York Post.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/69134.htm

"Canadian midfielder Josh Simpson spurned the Red Bulls for Kaiserslautern, while sources told The Post Juventus coach Fabio Capello will not join the Red Bulls."

As a sidenote, I wonder why Jazic wasn't able to catch on with New York? I believe (but could be wrong) that he is now free from his Russian team and New York really seems to be in the market for a left wing/wingback.

I'm glad for Josh. From all the postings above, he appears to have found a great situation.

Archived