Toronto MLS research

mlsintoronto

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

I have already made most of my opinions clear on BigSoccer, and I agree with most of what has been posted here. I do warn mlsintoronto as well as the other good posters here NOT to allow this thread to be hijacked by posters with anti-MLS/ anti-MLSE axes to grind. If these people post here, I ask that you just ignore their posts so that we can contine this great dialogue on here.

Hey Maxwell Smart.

Why would MLS Toronto sink so low as to ask for marketing feedback from a forum? The guy's not using his real name nor has he shown any real proof that he's from MLSE.

Surely, they would have invited a few by email to drop in, have a coffee and talk.

And anyone who opens up with "interested in big fun games"

suckers.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Hey Maxwell Smart.

Why would MLS Toronto sink so low as to ask for marketing feedback from a forum? The guy's not using his real name nor has he shown any real proof that he's from MLSE.

Surely, they would have invited a few by email to drop in, have a coffee and talk.

And anyone who opens up with "interested in big fun games"

suckers.

Whether the guy is legit or just someone's creative way of spurring discussion over the success of the MLS....who cares?

If he is legit, the ideas get back to MLSE. If not, they are shared here amongst interested posters.....no harm, no foul!

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Has anyboady ever thought of not naming to Tornoto FC bur rather Ontario FC Ontario United ect.....I dont no if this is better I'm just chucking out some ideas. It would get more people feeling a part of the team...

I think the reaction league-wide to an Ontario franchise would be "why do they need a 3rd LA area team?"

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Has anyboady ever thought of not naming to Tornoto FC bur rather Ontario FC Ontario United ect.....I dont no if this is better I'm just chucking out some ideas. It would get more people feeling a part of the team...

I think the reaction league-wide to an Ontario franchise would be "why do they need a 3rd LA area team?"

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

With respect to Chicago - I think what they do is a good start, but I have to believe we can find enough "supporters" to triple or quadruple their numbers...do you agree?

I really hope so. If we could get minimum 500 plus supporter-types behind one net singing, and MLSE helps by posting words to 'family-friendly' chants and songs on the video board (or even printed in game programs) we could get the whole stadium joining in and buzzing. I am convinced that there are at least 500 people in the GTA who want to stand, and make noise. My gut feeling tells me there encouraged to try out MLS.

An encouraging thing I have noticed in my discussions with soccer fans from all walks of life, is a general willingness from ALL of them to give MLS soccer a chance! MLSE, do it right the first time and you will be rewarded!

With respect to Chicago - I think what they do is a good start, but I have to believe we can find enough "supporters" to triple or quadruple their numbers...do you agree?

I really hope so. If we could get minimum 500 plus supporter-types behind one net singing, and MLSE helps by posting words to 'family-friendly' chants and songs on the video board (or even printed in game programs) we could get the whole stadium joining in and buzzing. I am convinced that there are at least 500 people in the GTA who want to stand, and make noise. My gut feeling tells me there encouraged to try out MLS.

An encouraging thing I have noticed in my discussions with soccer fans from all walks of life, is a general willingness from ALL of them to give MLS soccer a chance! MLSE, do it right the first time and you will be rewarded!

How about "Toronto Athletic"

It's classy, general enough that the fans can produce a nickname (The Black Squirrels, etc.) after the team has been playing for a while...?

I also like the idea of hoops. Only dallas has that style of jersey and with a new colour scheme (maybe blue on blue with red or gold trim) I think it could turn out very positive.

How about "Toronto Athletic"

It's classy, general enough that the fans can produce a nickname (The Black Squirrels, etc.) after the team has been playing for a while...?

I also like the idea of hoops. Only dallas has that style of jersey and with a new colour scheme (maybe blue on blue with red or gold trim) I think it could turn out very positive.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

I think MLSinToronto should be free to listen to whomever he wants to, whether you/we/us agree with him or not.

No, you are missing the point. This is a constructive discussion about ways to make MLS a success in Toronto. Did you read G-man's childish post? We are not asking for censorship, but for constructive dialogue about how to make the team a hit in Toronto. This is NOT a thread for people who oppose MLS to make their opinions known, or to make fun of the whole effort. There are other threads where people can do that, this one is for mature disscussion of ideas.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I still like 'York Redcoats' ;)

Nice idea for an "informal" nickname....with the proximity to Fort York maybe the first game of the season could be guys dressed in the old military uniforms (they do a great job of that at Fort York, btw, leading a parade of fans (maybe the fan club) down fleet street into the EX and then into their seats at the fan club end!

Doubt if it would work as an official MLS name, though.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

No, you are missing the point. This is a constructive discussion about ways to make MLS a success in Toronto. Did you read G-man's childish post? We are not asking for censorship, but for constructive dialogue about how to make the team a hit in Toronto. This is NOT a thread for people who oppose MLS to make their opinions known, or to make fun of the whole effort. There are other threads where people can do that, this one is for mature disscussion of ideas.

I get the point but I think the MLSE poster (if that is what he is) will be capable of sorting out mature, constructive posts (positive or negative) from any childish "criticisms-for-the-sake-of-criticisms".

As an example, there have already been posts that seem to be saying cater to the fan club at the expense of "new" fans or "family days" or "theme days". I don't, necessarily, agree.

One of the things that is evident, to me anyway, from Toronto's soccer history is that, despite our population of hundreds of thousands (millions?) from traditional soccer nations, those people never show up in mass numbers for domestic games and will always treat domestic professional soccer as a poor second cousin to the game they love.

If I owned the MLS team, I would be wondering how I create new fans for the game here that is not dependant on how well I compare to "Milan" or "the 'pool" etc etc. Some of the promos that I might run for that, however, fly in the face of much of what will be read on this board....'cause the people here are sold on the game already.

Frankly, from a business case, it would be hard to argue against an in game experience that attracted 5,000 families from the burbs even if it ticked of the 500 "ultras" that don't like mascots, cheerleaders or "Sharon, Lois and Bram" days.

So, if MLS are on here looking for constructive ideas, they deserve to hear both sides of each discussion. Even if that means hearing the odd childish comment (although I will try to keep them to a minimum ;) )

Call me a pessimist, but i really dont think MLSE will give a damn what we want the name to be. They know that us hardcore supporters will be there no matter what, so why should they listen to what we want. They want to bring in the casual fan, and they want to use us in order to create an atmosphere. They will only help us where it furthers their interests. As for naming the team what we want, having a proper kit, grass turf - our thoughts will have zero (0) impact. it will be interesting to see what comes of this guy's appearance at the meetings. if at least flares are ok'd, this mock interest in what we want will have served some purpose.

Toronto Ice Strikers.

Logo: Have a Tiger on roller-skates kicking a ball through a ring of fire, with the CN tower in the background. Colours: Sizzler Silver and Arduous Red. And make sure you get cheerleaders, the closer they are to 18, the larger the middle aged pedophile crowd you'll bring in. Screw the kids at this point- you got them into the stadium with a cartoon tiger- and remeber the same guys who want the team called "city" are the same types that wear scarves- so make sure you have some of those for sail, charge like 55 bucks, they'll buy anything soccer fetish related.

And have various crap dance acts open up for the team to bring in the girl crowd. Shawn Desmond comes to mind. And apease those that want the name "Blizzard" back by having retro 80 half time shows with bands like Glass Tiger and Loverboy.

You can be everything to everyone and push your gate to 8K a game. And if all that doesn't work. Give away thousands and thousands of free tickets through Pizza Pizza. Have a deal like buy a large meat lovers and get 4 Ice Striker tickets. Or run radio contests where the winner gets 2 tickets to a game and the runner up gets 4. Or hand out season tickets with every Metro.

Ice Strikers....I like it. Really rolls off the tongue. Lover Boy...got it...cartoon tiger...great... All great ideas...Thanks!

Ice Strikers....I like it. Really rolls off the tongue. Lover Boy...got it...cartoon tiger...great... All great ideas...Thanks!

anytime MLSE excutive guy.

Don't forget scarves and piped in chanting. A good one would be "T-o-r-o-n-t--Ohh spells Tor-on-to!" play it over and over again until the new soccer fans finally get it.

And if you have empty seats, use cardboard cut-outs of euro looking ultras with scarves. I really liked the "ultra only" smoke bombs suggestion. But to make sure mom and dad surburbia feel safe, cage them in.

Good luck.

quote:Originally posted by isa

mls guy are you on the up and up? you really work for mlse?

no offence seems to good to be true.

Why? because me and G-Man are riffing? He's got some whizbang ideas - which is why he's following his life-long dream of ...(uh G-man? What is it you do?)

I'm on the up and up. Are you?

I propose the supporters club call themselves the G-MEN.

Pro soccer is a bussiness first. Those that treat it as anything else will fail. If Toronto gets an MLS team, then the rest of the market will have to adjust. It's called democracy.

So if you claim to want something and you believe in it. You get to the games. You'll even buy season tickets- to put your money where your mouth is, even if you don't go to them.

If Toronto got an MLS team, I'd make 3-4 trips to Toronto to see teams like the L.A or San Jose play.

Now I haven't read all the messages in this forum as I don't have the time right now. I agree with many of you that going with a ethnic name could pose problems when trying to reach the sport market as a whole as you run the risk of focussing too much on one ethnic group (through the name). I don't like Toronto FC either because we don't call the sport football. It makes no sense. I would suggest Toronto Internationals as it is indicative of the city as a whole. We are the most culturally diverse city in the world, and the name should reflect that.

Archived