Toronto MLS research

mlsintoronto

quote:Originally posted by isa

mls guy are you on the up and up? you really work for mlse?

no offence seems to good to be true.

Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth

Like a genuine, Bona fide, Electrified, Six-car Monorail! What'd I say?

Ned Flanders: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

Patty+Selma: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail!

[crowd chants `Monorail' softly and rhythmically]

Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud...

Lyle Lanley: It glides as softly as a cloud.

Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?

Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?

Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.

Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?

Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.

Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.

Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.

I swear it's Springfield's only choice...

Throw up your hands and raise your voice!

All: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

Lyle Lanley: Once again...

Marge: But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...

Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!

Monorail!

Monorail!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42

I have to admit, I too find this statement very disturbing.

hope we're all interested in big fun games at the new Toronto stadium

I also think that if they are going to use these forums, and represent the team, they should use their real names.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?

Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.

BrennanFan - what gives? After I sent you an email introducing myself and explaining my situation, and now you're calling me names? At least G-Man isn't making is personal.

Guest speedmonk42

I am curious about why the team cannot simply keep the company's name?

Call them the same thing as the hockey team. Maple Leafs Soccer. "The Leafs". Leafs Hockey, Leafs Soccer. Same company same "club".

It is already as branded as anything could ever be, why not capitalize on it? Are many eurotrash clubs not part of a wider sports club invovling different sports utilizing the same name?

I think co-branding them would be great. You could get a "leafs" soccer jersey that is a wee bit more sophisticated looking than say a hockey jersey that makes you look like you wandered in from Hamilton.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I have to admit, I too find this statement very disturbing.

hope we're all interested in big fun games at the new Toronto stadium

OK - you prefer small games that are not fun?

Hello to all the cynics - its simple...look how quickly posters like to pile on with ANY poster who expresses an opinion. I've been burned before (not by the nice people, but by the other ones) in other boards on basketball. I'm sincerely interested in the views of the fans who are intersted in soccer. Full stop. Bear in mind that this sample group of people providing input is quite small...not all ideas will be executed. Please, don't make it personal, and if you don't like the fact that MLSEL is interested in making this a success (win championships, deliver a product that people want to buy...) then remove yourselves from the discussion.

BrennanFan, Speedmonk, ISA - surely you people have opinions? let us all hear them!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

yes I did write that. But that before the huge corporate welfare check the MLS team picked up. We, the people of Canada, will never see it back. NOT ONE PENNY. And correct me if I'm wrong mlsintoronto, we're also on the hook for any operating loses on the stadium of over 250K a year, does it include operating loses on the team?

Please let him answer to see if he's truley who he says he is...

Guest speedmonk42

I can explain my criticism of the "big fun games" comment a little more.

We have been burned many times, is part of it.

The fact is no one, absolutely no one I have evern known in soccer and I have worked with national team coaches, players, met with club owners in Canada and the U.S and no one, nobody uses language like that.

Never.

I am not saying there is one way to do things, or even question the sincertity of the person behind the comment.

NONE OF US WANT TO EXPLAIN yet again to a new person in charge of a market they know nothing about. That is why you seeing sarcastic comments about MBA's and marketing to kids ect ect ect...

There is a way to reach the soccer community in this country. I will be dammed if I will talk about it to someone who will not post his/her name so I know who I am talking to.

No disrespect to the people who vouch for you.

And it is personal because we all LOVE this game no matter how much we disagree and we want it to succeed.

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

OK - you prefer small games that are not fun?

Hello to all the cynics - its simple...look how quickly posters like to pile on with ANY poster who expresses an opinion. I've been burned before (not by the nice people, but by the other ones) in other boards on basketball. I'm sincerely interested in the views of the fans who are intersted in soccer. Full stop. Bear in mind that this sample group of people providing input is quite small...not all ideas will be executed. Please, don't make it personal, and if you don't like the fact that MLSEL is interested in making this a success (win championships, deliver a product that people want to buy...) then remove yourselves from the discussion.

BrennanFan, Speedmonk, ISA - surely you people have opinions? let us all hear them!

..win championships, deliver a product that people want to buy...

You're surely not talking about MLSE management of the Raptors? Outside of Toronto no ones cares about Basketball anymore. Is this what you plan on doing for Canadian soccer? And considering Basketball has a huge pro and college following in North America.

You're management of sport, that lives in obscurity, except on Fox World and Saturday mornings on Sportsnet should be interesting. How many Corporate boxes you guys plan on selling?

Oh ya and sign Dale Barnes to do the game by game play stuff on internet radio. internet radio is the second point after SSS on making pro soccer big fun.

I must admit that my own BS Detector is flickering away due to this post. But if MLSE is really and truly seeking input from the folks on these boards, then they just moved up a notch in terms of my respect for them.

The ultimate goal that I'd like MLSE to target can be summed up in one word: professionalism. When I go down to the new stadium to watch the new team, I want to see a top-quality sporting product.

- In terms of players, I don't need to see Ronaldinho or Beckham or Henry, but I need to know that the players on my team are true soccer professionals, many of whom could ply their trade in some of the best leagues in Europe, or at least are using MLS as a stepping stone in that direction. Secondary to that, the more Canadians the better.

- In terms of team name, I just don't want to be embarrassed. Cartoon characters, movie characters, and most animals would have no place in the name of Toronto's soccer team. Make it local, or at least something people can identify with. For example, "Marlies" for the AHL team was a great name that linked itself to the history of hockey in Toronto without being cutesy or gimmicky. Ditto for the logo. Make me believe that you're serious about establishing a sporting club for the long haul, not just an entertainment attraction.

- In terms of team kit, I'd probably prefer to see something with blue, but again, anything's OK as long as it doesn't scream "let's get the kiddies in the stands!"

- In terms of ticketing, well, naturally cost is going to be an issue. I'm the sort of fan who probably won't buy season tickets, but I'll make my way down a few times a year. Having 4- or 6-game ticket packages would be nice.

- In terms of seating areas, I'd agree that the Ultras should have their own section at one end of the field (not that I'd be in that group, though).

- In terms of marketing this team to the people of Toronto, I have no doubt that given MLSE's deep pockets, they could blanket this city with coverage of the team, and I think that's what we need to see. Appealing to the various ethnic communities is fine, but that'll only go so far. There are plenty of soccer fans in Toronto, but many are only fans of either top-notch soccer, or soccer from the Home Country. Convincing them that they should spend time and money going to see the MLS when they can watch Premier League/La Liga/Serie A/etc on TV for free is not going to be easy. And it won't happen with targeted ethnic nights either, IMO.

Anyway, if all this is really legit, then I'd also suggest setting up a more formal feedback mechanism for the soccer fans. For example, the NHL has a site where they invite fans to respond to surveys regarding various issues. (Unfortunately the questions are often along the lines of "Who's your favourite player?", but hey, it's a start.)

NONE OF US WANT TO EXPLAIN yet again to a new person in charge of a market they know nothing about. That is why you seeing sarcastic comments about MBA's and marketing to kids ect ect ect...

Speak (or rather shout) for yourself please, not rest of us.

quote:

I will be dammed if I will talk about it to someone who will not post his/her name so I know who I am talking to.

Then don't. If you don't want to post in the thread, then don't do it. Nobody's forcing you to do so.

As for his name, I highly doubt that you would be any the wiser if you knew his name. Do you think this is Eric Lindros or Wade Belak posting in disguise or something? Sheesh.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Then don't. If you don't want to post in the thread, then don't do it. Nobody's forcing you to do so.

As for his name, I highly doubt that you would be any the wiser if you knew his name. Do you think this is Eric Lindros or Wade Belak posting in disguise or something? Sheesh.

Maybe your favourite Torstar employee will reveal to you that this is the "other shoe dropping" in the firing Babcock conspiracy! RB was not fired, he was moved to MLSE's top-secret "soccer web posting department".

Guest speedmonk42

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by speedmonk42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speak (or rather shout) for yourself please, not rest of us.

quote:

I will be dammed if I will talk about it to someone who will not post his/her name so I know who I am talking to.

Thats not true, if I knew the persons name I would be on the phone with them arranging a meeting in Toronto and I would fly there for it.

If I am shouting it is because the alarm bells rang loudly the second I read "big fun games" and that this person a month before they got this job/assignment would have been calling soccer an 'immigrant' sport and wondering why we had a national team in the first place.

I could be completely wrong, I hope I am completely wrong. But that is what that wording says to me. That is what 8 years of working in the soccer world says to me.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Maybe your favourite Torstar employee will reveal to you that this is the "other shoe dropping" in the firing Babcock conspiracy! RB was not fired, he was moved to MLSE's top-secret "soccer web posting department".

Ha! That is actually a more reasonable theory than the ones which essentially are suggesting that this is all an hoax by myself and Sean Keay. I bet the same people think we rigged the 1969 moon landing telecasts! ;)

Honestly though, this is the same board that has wilfully believed for about 6 years that Luis Rancagua exists, then when somebody legitimate actually comes along and is vouched for by two separate posters, they don't believe he's legit. It just makes you shake your head in disbelief at times. [B)]

Thats not true, if I knew the persons name I would be on the phone with them arranging a meeting in Toronto and I would fly there for it.

Well we've already done that, he stated himself that he's attending the next Toronto supporters meeting. So you can fly in from Vancouver to that if you like. Details found in the U-sector thread attached to the top of the page.

quote:

I could be completely wrong

You are.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Ha! That is actually a more reasonable theory than the ones which essentially are suggesting that this is all an hoax by myself and Sean Keay. I bet the same people think we rigged the 1969 moon landing telecasts! ;)

Honestly though, this is the same board that has wilfully believed for about 6 years that Luis Rancagua exists, then when somebody legitimate actually comes along and is vouched for by two separate posters, they don't believe he's legit. It just makes you shake your head in disbelief at times. [B)]

It is an interesting thing. I have been a fan of the game my entire life...brought up on the game, etc etc etc. I have many friends and business associates, however, that were not. They have told me how intimidated "real fans" make them feel when they make a mistake on lingo/terminology etc etc.

This person from MLSE is probably experiencing that now. "Big fun games" exposes him for what he probably is (assuming you are right and he/she is from MLSE)....an employee of a North American sports comglomorate that has been sent on an early outreach project with the soccer community in recognition that soccer is not MLSE's background sport.

He/she trips up on a bit of terminology and is now, either, a hoax or Carlton the Bear looking to entrench furry mascot logos in the Toronto soccer world!

Folks...think of this....if MLSE knew everything they need to know about Soccer/football, they would not have to ask me or you! If this is legit, give them credit for recognizing they may need some help here.

If it is a hoax...don't worry, the sun will come out tomorrow (well maybe not in Vancouver but it will someday).

Listen speedmonk42, I think MLSE guy is part of a marketing apparatus and was not hired explicitly to promote soccer.

Regardless, I would think that there must be some kind of unspoken Mason/Dixon line on what soccer fans can actually have a hand or say in the end result of the team as some aspects are more open to suggestion then others. I imagine that providing the space and conditions needed to enhance the atmosphere at the stadium would be high on the list of 'things to listen to', while aspects that would dictate how MLSE should spend their money, such as grass vs. plastic pitch, would most likely be on a list of 'things not to listen to'. As for name and team colours, I dunno what MLSE receptivity would be.

But post speedmonk42, as scepticism isn't an inherently bad thing. Sometimes it can lead you to disappointment while other times it can lead you to surprise/insight. The worst thing you can do with scepticism is doubt just for the sake of doubting, because then you'll be left in the exact place you started.

Colours: Blue and White - they mean Toronto, this is a no brainer.

Name: Tradition is acquired with the passage of time not by borrowing someone elses. Pick a name - nothing trendy or pop-culturish - don't borrow it. Don't be afraid of animal names: When the Vancouver Grizzlies held their contest all the names were animals. Its a canadian thing, don't run away from it. Doesn't have to be an animal, but there is no reason to stay away from it. Find something Toronto. If it is not absurd it will have staying power. Using the name to market to a segment of the fans is unwise I think. Football, Futball, Futbal with little squigglies above the vowel is not the way we say soccer in Canada. Revel in our Canadianess and remember that even though AFC Rule OK, they do have a nickname too.

Logo: No cartoon figures. Choose something that the organization won't be embarrased about in 10 years or changing every 5. A blue Maple Leaf is stodgy, boring and conservative: But it means something</u>. No marketing guy today would choose it but it means something</u> today, because tradition is acquired not borrowed.

Entertainment: On-Field Product only Between Minutes 1-45 and 46-90 please. Music, mascots and cheerleadres pre-game and at half time if you really want to, but once the players are kicking the ball in anger on the pitch none of it. That includes getting the mascot into a room under the stands and not wandering the stands. We are there for the soccer, not to hug Binkles the Soccerball. If you really have to, half time and pre-game only. Can't stress that enough.

Skydome. Yes, I said Skydome. Hold a double header or two in Skydome. It will pump up your attendance figures and maybe expose the product to a few.

Most of all, be Toronto's team, put a decent product onthe field, Don't let Richard Peddie make any decisions about anything that has to do with anything other than how to pay for things. First key to marketing a sports team - and I know you are aware of this - is winning: If you do that you can call yourself the Jazz and Play in Utah for all it matters. So hire yourself a real coach and put a good product on the field.

Hmmm.

I have reacted far to harshly to this thread. I have no idea why.

My apologies.

:)

speedmonk42, you (like me) are a Canadian soccer fan. We have suffered so many disappointments, and been so chroniucally underserviced and disregarded that its easy to be cynical and always expect the worst. However, there is a glimmer of hope here, as 2 credible posters confirmed that this really is MLSE taking an interest in what a cross-section of ordinary soccer fans think. This person may know nothing about soccer, may not know the right lingo and culture, but of course that is precisely why they are online. They want to learn! If you can, try and be in Toronto when the next meeting with MLSE is arranged. This is an unprecedented opportunity for ordinary fans to give some input! Keep posting any ideas you have in the meantime.

Archived