Toronto MLS research

mlsintoronto

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

This person from MLSE is probably experiencing that now. "Big fun games" exposes him for what he probably is (assuming you are right and he/she is from MLSE)....an employee of a North American sports comglomorate that has been sent on an early outreach project with the soccer community in recognition that soccer is not MLSE's background sport.

Personally I can't believe how much has been made of those three words, but yes, I am confused by the point as well. I don't understand why anybody would be worried about people who have traditionally not been involved with soccer not using traditional soccer lingo, and why that would make them seem illegitimate, but anyway...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

However, there is a glimmer of hope here, as 2 credible posters confirmed that this really is MLSE taking an interest in what a cross-section of ordinary soccer fans think.

If I can add a third voice to confirm - from my contacts in soccer - that this is legitimate!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Personally I can't believe how much has been made of those three words, but yes, I am confused by the point as well. I don't understand why anybody would be worried about people who have traditionally not been involved with soccer not using traditional soccer lingo, and why that would make them seem illegitimate, but anyway...

Since you seem to have direct contact with "Deep Throat" from MLSE, perhaps you could provide him with a lexicon of words and terms that will not make him sound to North American.

Perhaps we could even launch a "guess the MLSE employee" contest. I have thought about it and I am sure it is one of the <s>three</s> two Raptors named Williams.

Actually I am glad you popped in Bill as I hope that you and mlsintoronto could get a chance to chat at the next supporters meeting.

I have never met any of you guys (that I know of anyway) but I get the impression a lot of guys here have met each other. So the fact that 3 of you are stepping out and stating that this really is a MLSE employee is good enough for me to keep watching/participating in this thread.

I would like to understand more of what MLSE is looking for here though. Is it a one way communication where we post ideas/thoughts and they just gather them? Or is it a chance for us to ask questions too?

If it is the latter, I really would like to know what the process is going to be for getting season tickets? Is it a first come first served or are existing customers of MLSE going to be given some sort of priority days to sign up for tickets and select seats?

Also am curious as to why MLSE would not just start a soccer section on their own web page with FAQ and Feedback areas.

Also, when might we expect some sort of "MLS in Toronto" show on Leafs and/or Raptors TV?

Perhaps we could even launch a "guess the MLSE employee" contest. I have thought about it and I am sure it is one of the <s>three</s> two Raptors named Williams.

Yes, lets have some fun. Here are the choices I will give people:

1. Aki Berg, posting while he's injured from the Leaf line-up.

2. Rick Vaive posting in between gigs on After the Horn

3. Andy Frost posting between gigs on After the Horn, Leaf Talk Radio and hosting Psychelic Sunday on Q107

4. The guy who stole Bernie Parent's mask in Madison Square Gardens in 1971, now ironically employed 35 years by MLSE as Carlton the Bear

5. The ghost of Punch Imlach

6. Johnny Bower, posting simply to get back at the wild and crazy youths of today. And he would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those kids!

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

BrennanFan - what gives? After I sent you an email introducing myself and explaining my situation, and now you're calling me names? At least G-Man isn't making is personal.

yes yes, you are legit MLSE and on the level (not the devil). thanks for dropping by the board, i hope you and the u-sector boys can get something done as relates to what they want to accomplish as a supporters group. (Vouch #4?)

One more suggestion: make season tickets a decent deal so that people will buy them.

After the MLS team was awarded, I looked into season ticket prices at some other MLS clubs, and was disappointed to find that you might save $4 per game with a season ticket. At that price, it's not worth it to buy season tickets over single tickets - assuming you will miss a game here and there. And if you don't have a season ticket, it becomes a weekly decision whether to attend or not.

In England for example, you pay around 50-60% for a season ticket than for single tickets, so you tend to get a large season ticket base.

quote:

I would like to understand more of what MLSE is looking for here though. Is it a one way communication where we post ideas/thoughts and they just gather them? Or is it a chance for us to ask questions too?

If it is the latter, I really would like to know what the process is going to be for getting season tickets? Is it a first come first served or are existing customers of MLSE going to be given some sort of priority days to sign up for tickets and select seats?

Also am curious as to why MLSE would not just start a soccer section on their own web page with FAQ and Feedback areas.

I really came here to start this dialogue on my own...no one sent me here. I just thought it might be a good idea to spur this conversation. And I think it has been (and I hope it will continue to be) fruitful. Its safe to assume that there will be some sort of web presense at some point, but I'm not sure everyone from here would go there. I figured it would make sense to come to you.

Regarding questions...Ask away, but as you can see from the past posts, I don't have any answers yet. I'm not involved in the stadium, some things we just don't want to release (ticket pricing for example is probably months away), same with the name (even if I knew, and I don't, we couldn't release that kind of info without a proper trademark search, etc.). And those posters who have suggested that this is an opportunity to help form opinions at MLSEL - you are right! I'm listening and will try to distill the ideas suggested here into a coherent message back to the team who are planning.

For example - I found out about U Sector at this board. I'm sure we would have met at some point, but its early now. What a great opportunity for both the team and the supporters to get together and talk.

Big Fun! (I think I might sign off with that from now on.)

I've read most of mlsintoronto's posts over on big soccer, and compared them with what has been written here under that name. It seems evident to me that the "mlsintoronto" who posts here is not the same person who has been posting for several days on bigsoccer. The writing style, overall tone, and content are quite different. Gian-Luca, you may be able to vouch for the authenticity of the guy who is posting on bigsoccer, and I agree with you that he is the real deal. However, have you been able to independantly verify that the person using the "mlsintoronto" handle on this board is not just a copycat having a go at our expense? I rather suspect it might be G-Man... and if so, good one bud, you had me fooled for the first couple of posts anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

I've read most of mlsintoronto's posts over on big soccer, and compared them with what has been written here under that name. It seems evident to me that the "mlsintoronto" who posts here is not the same person who has been posting for several days on bigsoccer. The writing style, overall tone, and content are quite different. Gian-Luca, you may be able to vouch for the authenticity of the guy who is posting on bigsoccer, and I agree with you that he is the real deal. However, have you been able to independantly verify that the person using the "mlsintoronto" handle on this board is not just a copycat having a go at our expense? I rather suspect it might be G-Man... and if so, good one bud, you had me fooled for the first couple of posts anyway.

Ahh CSI - Message Board Unit.

Its the same person. Me. I was pointed here by the nice people over at big soccer. where they are slightly less cynical and paranoid. You doubters are really colouring the overall quality of feedback:

"The folks at Voyageurs are interested in a low prices, no music during the game, but they seem to be distrustful and paranoid."

Dave - look out behind you.

Dave, i can assure you its not G-Man. I dont frequent bigsoccer.com, I only came across mlsintoronto on this board. subsequent to his posting here, ive been in contact with him through email and yes, the guy has verified he is for real. this is just very preliminary contact from MLSE, trying to get a feel for what will not alienate us.

Ok, I wasn’t going to do this, but here’s my view on what needs to happen if the team is going to be a success.

The team will not be a success without a solid group of hardcore fans, that’s us. There is a potential here to make the atmosphere at the stadium unlike anything that is presently existing in the Canadian sports scene, I really feel this bunch in Toronto is thirsty enough for a product they can be proud of that they will stop at nothing to be the best supporters group in North America. This will happen even without MLSE cooperation- standing and singing does a lot for atmosphere. Even a low budget tifo display, made up of everyone bringing 5 bags full of newspaper confetti, can be a scene unlike Toronto has seen in a long time. With MLSE cooperating, it will make it easier for proper displays to be done, and this will blow away the average fan and keep them coming. Theres nothing like huge banners covering full sections, and flares at night games. Again, this will happen regardless, but it could be so much better if MLSE gave a hand, it would just get the whole stadium rocking. People will come back for the collective feeling only these types of things can generate. Lately, there has been a real drive for organization with the group of Toronto supporters who post on this site. With a little help from MLSE, in giving the group a real sense of ‘officialness’, theres really no reason the team cant be a success.

Soccer, done properly, sells itself. Make it genuine, and the ex-pats you want to come will come. Cheap gimmicks (Brit Nite) will only drive them away. The key to success is to make this team a REAL soccer/football club. Don’t go the traditional North American sports franchise/ cookie cutter MLS team route. Be different, take a chance, do it the right way.

Buddy are you for real? You're thinking waaaaay too much.

I've read most of mlsintoronto's posts over on big soccer, and compared them with what has been written here under that name. It seems evident to me that the "mlsintoronto" who posts here is not the same person who has been posting for several days on bigsoccer. The writing style, overall tone, and content are quite different.

I would suggest Dave that this might be because the writing style, overall tone and content of the posts that have been directed to him here have been quite different and he's had to respond accordingly. Nobody at bigsoccer.com trolled the thread there just to throw childish insults at him & his employers the way our resident troll here has done, nobody over-analyzed select wording in his posts to death as has happened here, and over there only one person, in comparison than a multitude of posters that have done so here, has questioned his legitimacy, and the one poster to do it on bigsoccer.com is also a member of this board! Even worse, much of the doubting of his legitimacy in this thread came after I had already vouched for him, where at least MediaGuy's doubting on bigsoccer came before I had a chance to confirm mlsintoronto was who he said he was (at mlsintoronto's request).

So yes, let's not get carried away here - he is who he says he is.

Guest silvaplate

As far as Kits are concerned. If the blue is the way to go, the blackburn kits is pretty classy. Just use a deeper or darker blue. If the stripes is your fancy, FC Santos style is the way to go. I like the FC Santos Stripes kits compared to the Juventus and Newcastle styles. For away, i personally like the Arsenal Burgundy, or Roma Orange in Corinthians style kits.

For the name of the club. "Toronto City FC" flows from the tongue really well. I think the Blizards name will be unofficially attached to the team regardless, so officially naming the team that is of no use. That just my opinion.

Use of live Drummers around the stadium to dictate the tempo of the crowd. I don't know how everyone feels about Samba bands and stuff, but i'm a big fan of the South American version of the game. I guess this is the problem with a very multicultural city like ours, everyone's got a different taste. I love the Drunken beer chants of the EPL, but i love the atmosphere of the fans in South America.

Controlled Flares are definately something to look into. Most of you guys covered the basics. Ticket pricing (remember soccer is the poor mans sport), The "Hardcore Section" (sit at own risk), Chants on the screen, piped chants on the PA, Gigantic Flags, etc. The mascots are cool and all, but get out of the way when the game is on. The cheerleaders i guess is great eyecandy and entertainment, but c'mon now, although i'm new to the group, I think i speak for everybody in saying the Ultras are the Cheerleaders.

Screw the cheesy cartoony/modernize logos. Stick with a crest or shield, keep it classy.

Spanish Announce Team in SAP is a must. Even if you don't know the language, its the way to watch the game.

I guess that's that. I didn't really bring anything new to the table, but what the hell. I want to be part of the action.

Guest silvaplate

This is kinda off topic, But Imagine playing Toronto in FIFA 08. That's crazy. I'm more of a Winning Eleven kinda guy, but they don't include the MLS. But that's crazy. Toronto in a Futbol Game? We've gone a long way.

Guest speedmonk42

Just a quick brainstorming thought.

The NBA, NFL, NHL ect... have a certain advantage. They are not only the top of the food chain in their sport, they are quite literally the only one in the game. There is nothing really to compare the NBA to. This is the biggest challenge for soccer here.

So anything, includeing how things are worded (no I am not harping not the thing from before) has to be realistic. For example, someone mentioned the term 'good product' earlier. While it is true, the soccer has to be good, this direction of the wording moves you into the direction of consumers and not supporters.

People buy or don't buy a product because they are consumers, however, supporters are something different. They are there through thick and thin.

We want supporters, not consumers.

Anything that is done I hope is done with this in mind. What I didn't mean by wording mattering was that we need to appeal some cryptic lexicon of european soccer terminology. I mean things have to be realistic and in the proper perspective while still being promotional. It is a challenge, made even more challenging by the fact that the people you are marketing to are by no means homogenous in nature in terms of their expectations and experience with the sport.

In the most basic sense by fears can be summed up in the infamous Simpsons soccer episode.

I think you mean "lurking" for quite some time, no? :D

In terms of the name, I get the impression that the league itself has some input into the name that will be used and I suspect they would be opposed to two "United" in the same league.

DAMN!!! My first sentence too! [B)]

I guess MLS could object, but I would go with "United" if it's possible as it really reflects Toronto and what this team needs to do with various ethnic groups to be successful. It is also shared with many different teams from different leagues. Now I could be wrong (usually am - see above), but when I see Inter Toronto or Toronto International, I only think of Inter Milan, and I'm sure that fans of AC Milan, Juventus, and even Roma (does Roma still have fans? ;)) would feel the same way. As a student of military history, I like the Toronto Garrison idea and Fort York tie-in, but I fear that many, particularly immigrants, won't get it and it might just be seen as a rip-off of Arsenal.

As a Celtic supporter, I love the hoops idea but if you think blue hoops will bring all of those Celtic fans over automatically you have a very low understanding of the Scottish football fan. Firstly, many closed minded Celtic fans (I hope I am not one) have a hard time wearing anything blue. Secondly, a team in blue hoops will just lead to a lot of Celtic fans saying "why are they playing in Morton strips".

My late father was born and raised in Glasgow, and I have visited many times as I still have family there. Believe me, I am VERY WELL AWARE of the situation there. I have a cousin who is not Catholic, and he lives in a town only four miles from Kilmarnock, and yet he's a Celtic fan. He has an uncle who lives near the stadium, but the uncle won't let him park on his driveway during the games because he doesn't want his neighbours to know that he has a family member who is a Celtic supporter!

I'm sorry if my post implied that I thought Celtic supporters would automatically switch over. If I really wanted to confuse Celtic fans, then I would suggest that we not only go with blue hoops, but that we also hire Mo Johnston away from the Metrostars as our coach. That would get the new team lots of publicity in Glasgow!

I was just trying to show what a cool and popular design the hoops are, and it's potential for sales. Let's face it, this is a business. We can talk about tradition all we want, but if the marketing/merchandising people tell MLSE that the big seller is yellow with pink dots, then that is what we are getting. Remember that Richard Peddie was with the Raptors pre-merger, and they disregarded Toronto's traditional colours and followed the then popular "Jurassic Park" craze (still better than Mighty Ducks) in the search for the highest merchandise sales. As painful as it is to admit, it worked too as the Raptors did very well on the merchandise side (they have to win at something). Although the great clubs of Europe are over a century old and have stood the test of time, I doubt that MLSE will have that kind of foresight and will instead go for the best immediate sales projections.

Toronto United with blue hoops - traditional, tasteful, and MARKETABLE!

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

This is a constructive discussion about ways to make MLS a success in Toronto. Did you read G-man's childish post? We are not asking for censorship, but for constructive dialogue about how to make the team a hit in Toronto. This is NOT a thread for people who oppose MLS to make their opinions known, or to make fun of the whole effort. There are other threads where people can do that, this one is for mature disscussion of ideas.

<mod> RealGooner is correct. Please G-Man and any others, just stay out of it if you can't follow what RealGooner says. </mod>

Archived