Attendances at the SkyDome

morrison

I didn't know where to put this topic.

But does anyone have figures for all the recent matches from the SkyDome?

I was trying to find out some 2004 attendances from that ChampionsWorld website (they used to have them) but I'm just not able to...

And on top of that a "Soccer" mode seating arrangement capacity number would be good as well... I've seen it at 50 000 or 53 000 and one for the Argos, but I'm not sure for the footie...

Games if I recall from 2004 on are:

I have some ideas, but cold hard facts is what i want.

Liverpool vs. FC Porto (~40 000)

Celtic vs. AS Roma (~50 000)

"Italy" ;) vs. Serbia & Montenegro (~22 000?)

Rangers vs. Dinamo Zagreb (~18 000)

and now even this Santos vs. Sporting Lisbon that's going on as I type (once figures are announced)

cheers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by morrison

I didn't know where to put this topic.

But does anyone have figures for all the recent matches from the SkyDome?

I was trying to find out some 2004 attendances from that ChampionsWorld website (they used to have them) but I'm just not able to...

And on top of that a "Soccer" mode seating arrangement capacity number would be good as well... I've seen it at 50 000 or 53 000 and one for the Argos, but I'm not sure for the footie...

Games if I recall from 2004 on are:

I have some ideas, but cold hard facts is what i want.

Liverpool vs. FC Porto (~40 000)

Celtic vs. AS Roma (~50 000)

"Italy" ;) vs. Serbia & Montenegro (~22 000?)

Rangers vs. Dinamo Zagreb (~18 000)

and now even this Santos vs. Sporting Lisbon that's going on as I type (once figures are announced)

cheers

It would have made a great home for an MLS team. Great place to see a game and it's also a loud place, which the concrete texas football high school bowl won't be.

It'll be interesting to see tonighta crowd as it basically had NO build up to it.

maybe a boat load of Brazilians came to watch.

thanks for the reply, had nothing to do with attendances...

anyway, guess you've never been to the SkyDome then...

I've been to several of those games. I also remember going to an Australian Rule Rugby game and that was great fun.

What happens when Italy plays Brazil in 2007 and 20000 seats aren't enough? When you could sell 50000 seats?

The great lie is that a concrete bowl with no roof of any kind, with Fieldturf™, is a better soccer venue in April, May, September, October or for exibition games between two great clubs in late November or even March than a place with a roof and temp grass.

had MSLE worked out a deal with Rogers to play at the dome, it'd be the greatest place on earth to play the game to the MLS supporters on this site.

And as pointed out before, can't wait to see Holland play Canada on plastic. I won't hold my breath

it's a Youth tournament, do you quite honestly believe that anywhere in the world when a host nation is not in the final (of a youth tournament), that you could get 50 000 seats sold?

only the 2 exhibition matches last year were played on real grass I think.

and who's to say that the Exhibition stadium will replace big-name clubs from playing in the SkyDome?

and since you've been, do you honestly think the MLS will draw a decent enough crowd to not make the place a cavernous whole? and for this "but hasn't TO gone MLS crazy" bit... you think that you could draw 50 000 fans in Edmonton for the MLS? or Montreal? where exactly in this country could you draw those numbers for an MLS team?

the Dome absolutely sucks when it's less than half empty... and 25 000 fans is a lot to ask for from an MLS team

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

morrison, don't feed the troll.

I'd guess that soccer capacity is Grey Cup capacity, so around 51k.

It's a bit higher at approximately 54k which they had for that amazing 1989 Grey Cup when Saskatchewan beat Hamilton on a final play field goal.

Ironically, a full Skydome is almost exactly the same as a full Exhibition Stadium which had 54.5k

Neat site on CFL attendances right here:

http://www.geocities.com/cflhistory/RecordBooks/attendancerecords.html

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

It's a bit higher at approximately 54k which they had for that amazing 1989 Grey Cup when Saskatchewan beat Hamilton on a final play field goal.

Ironically, a full Skydome is almost exactly the same as a full Exhibition Stadium which had 54.5k

Neat site on CFL attendances right here:

http://www.geocities.com/cflhistory/RecordBooks/attendancerecords.html

db

Thanks. Great site.

130 Years the Argos have been around. Man, it's easy to forget just how old that team is. That makes it older than most European soccer clubs.

And to think people would gladly piss it all away for an NFL team :(

it's a Youth tournament, do you quite honestly believe that anywhere in the world when a host nation is not in the final (of a youth tournament), that you could get 50 000 seats sold?

only the 2 exhibition matches last year were played on real grass I think.

and who's to say that the Exhibition stadium will replace big-name clubs from playing in the SkyDome?

and since you've been, do you honestly think the MLS will draw a decent enough crowd to not make the place a cavernous whole? and for this "but hasn't TO gone MLS crazy" bit... you think that you could draw 50 000 fans in Edmonton for the MLS? or Montreal? where exactly in this country could you draw those numbers for an MLS team?

the Dome absolutely sucks when it's less than half empty... and 25 000 fans is a lot to ask for from an MLS team

The U-19 womens WC drew a ton in Edmonton. If you're saying that TO 's large Italian community- if in a final U-20 WC against Brazil was right downtown- won't be able to fill more than a 20K stadium, maybe the MLS is in the wrong market.

Italy- Brazil should be a good enough draw to get 50K in Montreal for a semi final. But they're building a 14K stadium.

The one thing the fickle Canadian fan likes are these one time events with teams from the old country thrown in.

The Toronto Aviators forever!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Not feeding the troll but...

SkyDome is a "concrete bowl" (albeit with a roof) and has FieldTurf (which the last two soccer matches have been played on, btw).

and I give the new open concrete bowl june july august but most would rather we warm and dry the rest of the year. And if a game of meaningless Santos Porto can draw 14k... if people are staying away from pro soccer in TO it has nothing to do with the dome.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The attendance for the game was only 14,673.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/11/08/1298248-cp.html

For the record, I did notice promotion for this game in the papers, and on TLN and Omni1 over the last few weeks.

Unfortunate but not surprising. As of 24 hours ago, I'd heard that 8 to 10k had been sold.

Perhaps the Portuguese and Brazilian communities were well aware of the lack of first team players.

Now, if we put those 14k in the new stadium, it would have at least looked three quarters full instead of three quarters empty.

My sympathies to the promoter who has probably been badly bruised.

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Unfortunate but not surprising. As of 24 hours ago, I'd heard that 8 to 10k had been sold.

Perhaps the Portuguese and Brazilian communities were well aware of the lack of first team players.

Now, if we put those 14k in the new stadium, it would have at least looked three quarters full instead of three quarters empty.

My sympathies to the promoter who has probably been badly bruised.

db

what was the weather in TO tonight? I doubt that many would have showed up at the new place...

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

and I give the new open concrete bowl june july august but most would rather we warm and dry the rest of the year. And if a game of meaningless Santos Porto can draw 14k... if people are staying away from pro soccer in TO it has nothing to do with the dome.

What?

Can you re-write that in English for the rest of us, please?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

what was the weather in TO tonight? I doubt that many would have showed up at the new place...

See, you throw out a gem once in a while, but all the bull you say hides it.

I was at the game. Besides being completely brutal, there were probably 15-18 000 I would guess. It was a horrible atmosphere, like when the Argos were getting those numbers. I figured it would look half-decent in the new stadium cause it would have been almost full. Then I walked outside. There's obviously no way this game would have been played outdoors in the middle of November (neither the teams nor the promoter would risk it).

Even if the "stars" were not playing, its not good to see these low attendances. MLS is not a higher quality than what these two teams had out there tonight. I know it's not a fair comparison.

As for ads, I'm pretty sure I saw ads in the Toronto Star. And I believe in the Hamilton Spectator as well, as there is a pretty big Portuguese community out here.

Well at least its good to see that he is starting to write about MLS with some regularity. The Lynx could only dream of the amount of coverage the not-yet-officially announced MLS Toronto team has already received - more than the Lynx have gotten in the past 10 years.

But yeah, I can't really see how this can be much of a "bad omen" for MLS Toronto, as Kelly implies. There is a very tenous link, at best, between 15,000 fans spending $70 bucks for a Wednesday night game in November between two foreign developmental sides in a meaningless match (not actually a bad crowd figure at all with these factors) and what Torontonians might do for a summer game on a Saturday afternoon or night for their home team in a match that actually means something, which won't cost them anywhere close to $70 to attend.

Well at least its good to see that he is starting to write about MLS with some regularity. The Lynx could only dream of the amount of coverage the not-yet-officially announced MLS Toronto team has already received - more than the Lynx have gotten in the past 10 years.

But yeah, I can't really see how this can be much of a "bad omen" for MLS Toronto, as Kelly implies. There is a very tenous link, at best, between 15,000 fans spending $70 bucks for a Wednesday night game in November between two foreign developmental sides in a meaningless match (not actually a bad crowd figure at all with these factors) and what Torontonians might do for a summer game on a Saturday afternoon or night for their home team in a match that actually means something, which won't cost them anywhere close to $70 to attend.

Shades of yesteryears.It is again amazing how the printed media is manipulating and even controlling events and soccer in particular.I knew that this game was being played but I did not wrte it down. I also realized yesterday morning that this game was to be on that night. Looked for it in my two rags I get every day,star and globe and not a word.Don't listen to any radio station during the day time and that's why I asked.

Well here we go again,this time this thing was advertised if I recall in the Star but some quite large ads.You kind of figure that they would have done a story on these teams prior to the event. There are many here of Portugeese decent as well as those from Brazil.

Well it did not get any media and now the knives are out,the Kelly Catface started the trend. Boy the war is on already and again the Star is the leader of the pack.I told you so!!!!

Shades of yesteryears.It is again amazing how the printed media is manipulating and even controlling events and soccer in particular.I knew that this game was being played but I did not wrte it down. I also realized yesterday morning that this game was to be on that night. Looked for it in my two rags I get every day,star and globe and not a word.Don't listen to any radio station during the day time and that's why I asked.

Well here we go again,this time this thing was advertised if I recall in the Star but some quite large ads.You kind of figure that they would have done a story on these teams prior to the event. There are many here of Portugeese decent as well as those from Brazil.

Well it did not get any media and now the knives are out,the Kelly Catface started the trend. Boy the war is on already and again the Star is the leader of the pack.I told you so!!!!

Relax john.

One comment made in passing does not a equal a 'conspriacy', and as G-L stated, the media has really covered the upcoming MLS team well, despite the fact that they haven't even been officially been granted a franchise yet and the team won't take the field for another year-and-a-half.

Archived