Toronto stadium: it just won't die

rdroze

The Globe & Mail is reporting that stadium discussions are starting up with yet another interested party in Toronto....

School board revives soccer stadium hopes

Thursday, May 26, 2005 Page A16

The dream of a proper soccer stadium in Toronto has been given a new lease on life by the Toronto Catholic District School Board.

The news resuscitates hopes crushed by York University's recent decision to kill plans to build a 20,000-seat soccer stadium. Although nothing has been decided, the Catholic school board has signalled interest in beginning discussions with various stakeholders including the Canadian Soccer Association, the public school board and the City of Toronto.

The Catholic school board is interested in building such a stadium on board-owned land. Staff

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050526/TOR26-1/TPNational/Toronto

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by rdroze

The Globe & Mail is reporting that stadium discussions are starting up with yet another interested party in Toronto....

School board revives soccer stadium hopes

Thursday, May 26, 2005 Page A16

The dream of a proper soccer stadium in Toronto has been given a new lease on life by the Toronto Catholic District School Board.

The news resuscitates hopes crushed by York University's recent decision to kill plans to build a 20,000-seat soccer stadium. Although nothing has been decided, the Catholic school board has signalled interest in beginning discussions with various stakeholders including the Canadian Soccer Association, the public school board and the City of Toronto.

The Catholic school board is interested in building such a stadium on board-owned land. Staff

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050526/TOR26-1/TPNational/Toronto

If that's the case look for the surface to be feildturf as the "board" would want to use it for soccer, football, feild hockey and anything else. And I bet during the winter they put on a dome like as they do in Ottawa.

Yes, and they'll want to host the new Pope sometime soon, too. I'm sure he plays a bit of footie.

Wow, didn't know the Toronto Catholic School Board had money for this sort of thing. I believe we have a handful of Catholics on the team, but I wonder if they will require a quota, thus forcing some conversions. Stalteri and McKenna (or was it Brennan) are Catholic, and I'm sure a good many of the others were baptized Catholic.

Very odd. I'm a little confused by this, to be honest. But if it happens, then maybe it will be a good thing.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that the "Gay and Lesbian Olympics" will NOT be held at such a site.

But just imagine the Bingo revenues! In fact, this all suddenly makes sense. This is not about soccer or any other sport: this is about Bingo money. 20,000 Bingo addicts could pay for the stadium in a year. If Toronto gets an MLS side they could be called the Toronto Bingo, or the Toronto Bingo Boys.

Guess I'd better keep my Catholic Card in my pocket. Never know if I might need it to get a discount next time I head over to TO for a game.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that the "Gay and Lesbian Olympics" will NOT be held at such a site.

But just imagine the Bingo revenues! In fact, this all suddenly makes sense. This is not about soccer or any other sport: this is about Bingo money. 20,000 Bingo addicts could pay for the stadium in a year. If Toronto gets an MLS side they could be called the Toronto Bingo, or the Toronto Bingo Boys.

Guess I'd better keep my Catholic Card in my pocket. Never know if I might need it to get a discount next time I head over to TO for a game.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Wow, didn't know the Toronto Catholic School Board had money for this sort of thing.

Neither did I. I have to admit that it was a bit of let down after reading the subject header on this thread, to find out that the party happens to be another political body ( ie.: a school board) rather that a private investor.

pretty much a non starter until the location is known. For the record, from the very beginning, it has been the csa itself pushing the field turf/multi use aspects of any potential site. Can't off hand think of any city Catholic schools with a chunk of property attatched (though, admittedly havn't been around this last decade), anyone?

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

pretty much a non starter until the location is known. For the record, from the very beginning, it has been the csa itself pushing the field turf/multi use aspects of any potential site. Can't off hand think of any city Catholic schools with a chunk of property attatched (though, admittedly havn't been around this last decade), anyone?

I can - or at least I'm aware of what land the board owns that could be conceivable be used to build a stadium. Not that I'm holding my breath.

I don't think the board has money to build, I think their main contribution (should this ever come to pass) would be land.

I've just heard that there is some land available which the board owns due to school closures in the city. I don't know yet which particular schools they were or where in the city they are located, just that the land is apparently available.

I'm not saying that I know for sure that this is what they have in mind, just that I'm aware the possibility exists.

Archived