Toronto stadium: it just won't die

rdroze

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Exactly, Polish.

It's okay when it comes to Catholics/Christians, but Jews/Muslims/Hindus? You're banninated!

Give it a rest, kids. You look immature.

OH MY GOD. Get a sence of humour or they next thing we'll be excommunicated.

3 guys walk into a bar, A preist, A pedophile and a drunk, then the second guy walks in....

I got a sence of humour,and its great. I just dont appreciate my religion being made fun of. I dont think that to hard to ask. The catholic religion get a beating in the press and from people like you who find something like this funny. I'll say it again if i was to make fun of a jew or a muslim or a buudist I would get a warning on this forum and have something even worst happen to me in the outside world.

Just to be clear, I was raised Catholic and do not feel that the majority of the jokes here are in poor taste. I certainly made mine with affection, and the puns and playful joking in the other posts are rather tame (mostly). Come on, even Catholics can have a sense of humour. We don't always need to take ourselves so damned seriously. [8D]

Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Back to topic.

Well wouldn't that be something. Amazing how a few tens of goverment millions can get the gears in the ol' noodle working away. Especially when those millions seem to be up for grabs as it were.

And here's a thought. If the project is a school/parallel education system venture wouldn't it's activities be exempt from taxation? And wouldn't it have to be a not-for-profit venture?

Don't know myself, but if it is so that certainly has to make the venture a little more attractive in a financial way. Especially with the for-profit private investors (Argo's ownership) out of the plans.

I respect people who believe, but I'm just saying out of all the religions Christians, and particularly Catholics, are the easiest to make fun of!

I mean come on, that whole thing with the indulgences, give me enough money and I will forgive your sins, what is that? Celibate priests? There's just too much comedic potential there to pass up! Confessionals are a gag reel and how can anyone keep a straight face when confronted by a guy in a big pointy hat speaking Latin and burning incence? Wild and wacky stuff.

But again, all religions have the potential to be laughed at, and I laugh at everyone...mostly myself.:)

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Where does one get this information?

I can see it now.Trading cards coming out and on the back you have height,weight,#of caps,goals scored,and religion.

I expect that the Beav made an educated guess based on the tradition of the family names. The majority of the times one would be right, like guessing that male hairdressers, interior designers and dancers are gay.

quote:what is that? Celibate priests?

Not all Catholic branches have celibate priests. In the eastern rite of the Catholic church, priests are allowed to marry.

The Roman Catholic church should allow priests to marry, IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Not all Catholic branches have celibate priests. In the eastern rite of the Catholic church, priests are allowed to marry.

The Roman Catholic church should allow priests to marry, IMHO.

Pope John Paul II changed the rules for the Eastern Rite to bring in enforced celibacy for any hitherto unmarried priests. I had a Ukrainian-Canadian friend who was both engaged and ordained as a priest in the Eastern Rite when it was changed, and as a result he changed his career/vocation.

I believe that married preists of the Anglican church who are married before they become Catholics may still be priests however.

quote:Originally posted by canso

I respect people who believe...

After your comments, I disagree. You have no respect.

quote:I mean come on, that whole thing with the indulgences, give me enough money and I will forgive your sins, what is that? Celibate priests? There's just too much comedic potential there to pass up! Confessionals are a gag reel and how can anyone keep a straight face when confronted by a guy in a big pointy hat speaking Latin and burning incence? Wild and wacky stuff.

Since you are completely ignorant...

Latin went out after 1965, I believe. Vatican II.

I have never, EVER, been 'told' to pay money to be absolved of sins in confession or during mass or in any other ceremony. Look it up if you don't know it-you'll look even more stupid if you don't. And since when did the Catholic church acquire a monopoly on incense? Oh, and as for the celibate priests, well-nice to see you find humour in a person living by the teachings of his faith.

Dimwit.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

I live off my sense of humour, G-Man.

But to see the Christian religion-bashing everywhere thses days that we're supposed to pass off as 'humour', while being admonished for joking about the other religions smacks of being two-faced.

When a majority picks on a minority, it's bullying. But when a Majority is the target from those within that majority, it's rather harmless.

I mean if a majority can feel threatened by jokes made on actual events then the problem isn't the joke but the reality of the topic those jokes hit.

So if you want the jokes to stop taking place, tell the preists to behave and have the church stop protecting them and covering up the abuse by simply moving them church to church until it happens again. That's the real crime. That 1% of all preists can be protected by church. A relgion should protect the children, not protect the predators.

change gears...

How many Man U fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

One, but he has to drive up from London to do it.

No, the Beav ain't making assumptions based on family name re: Stalteri and McKenna's Catholicness. No, I distinctly recall an article or an eyewtiness account (from one of our Voyageurs, no less), stating that Osiek let Stalteri and McKenna (or Brennan, I can't recall) get off practice a bit early so that they could run off to mass. I believe a Voyageur who was attending the practice as a spectator provided this information. Reliable? I don't know, but it seemed pretty solid at the time.

Now, as for assumptions, I'd assume that the following were at least raised Catholic:

Gervais, Brillant, Canizalez, Lombardo, Giacomi, Jazic, Sultenic, Pesch, Radzinski, Kluka, Poz, Uccello, Lalli, Grande etc etc

:D[}:)]:D

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

In the Eastern rite if you're a priest and want to marry you can't marry, but if you're married already then you can become ordained.

:)

Yeah, see. That's how I remember it. Very distinctly recall the evolution of priests/marriage/celibacy, and the Ukrainian Catholic Church as it relates to the Vatican just as Beachesl mentioned.

That's a while back already and I remember it generating quite a bit of energetic debate within the family at the time. Had a distant relative who was married, had joined the clergy rather late in life and so on and had a wife and kids. He was still young enough that the Vow of Celibacy must have been an issue though. (Geez, the things that you can remember with a bit of a prod).

Anyway, the issue wasn't marriage and children and such as I recall as much as it was the idea of a seperate standard being exercised for Priests who're married. Catholic priests wives having children just looks bad given the doctrine of The Church.

But hey, that's the great part about being Catholic now isn't it? As much as it is "Thou shall not" there's a recongnition of the humanity of man(women) within The Church so "Thou should not" usualy takes it's place in every practical scense :).

And for the record, I'm all for female Catholic priests, married and sexualy active clery, and birth control. Bet on the 1st two being accepted as new doctrine within The Church sooner rather than later. The 3rd might be a bit dodgy....

Crucifix of Toronto. MLS League and Cup Champions. Buy season passes today.

This whole thing about Toronto and the stadium reminds me far too much of when London won the rights to host the 2005 World Track and Field Championships. They had planned to build a new track stadium as a legacy for the event. Eventually government bickering killed the project and even though the British tried to find another venue, the IAAF took away the hosting rights and awarded the 2005 Championships to Helsinki.

This current thing in Toronto doesn't offer much at all. The board can bring in the land but it seems no additional cash up front.

I once was chastised in this board for using my religion (Catholic) to argue a point. In retrospect I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't have done so. I now find it funny there is an open discussion with jokes galore. But back to the stadium, I don't care who builds it as long as it is built in my lifetime.

"Every sperm is sacred,

Every sperm is great.

When a sperm is wasted,

God gets quite irate.

Every sperm is useful,

every sperm is good.

Every sperm is needed,

In your neighbourhood."

You gotta believe those guys know funny!

PLOP

"Ooh, could ye get that one for me luv?"

Archived