Marc Bircham to play in 14th May charity match

Great for Marc! Sooner or later Yallop should realize that Bircham is exactly what Canada is missing in the midfield! He is a tough ball winner who has some creativity to his game! He is a rock solid performer for QPR, plays 90 minutes ever game, yet he is overlooked for players such as Peters and Imhof!

quote:Originally posted by gator

Great for Marc! Sooner or later Yallop should realize that Bircham is exactly what Canada is missing in the midfield! He is a tough ball winner who has some creativity to his game! He is a rock solid performer for QPR, plays 90 minutes ever game, yet he is overlooked for players such as Peters and Imhof!

I think Bircham can contribute, though only on a depleted roster. In my mind, I'd start Grande, Hutch and Deguzman ahead of Bircham (for the d-mid position) and am not so sure Birch is that much better than Imhof. Actually, one would have to think that Bernier could come into the fray too, though likely on the wing. Does Bircham play out wide?

I wonder if we'll see him for Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by gator

Have you ever considered a career writing press releases for the Toronto Lynx?

I like Bircham as well and he seems to be getting rave reviews this year for QPR. I do wonder whether his aggresive tackling would go down well in the international game especially playing away in the Central American countries. But I was quite impressed with him in the Wales match and he started out as a right back so he could cover there as well. All this being said, I do see DeGuzman and Hutchinson as the future in the midfield with Imoff, Grande and Bernier being adequate replacements. Central midfield is probably are deepest position although if Bircham has some more offensive qualities, he probably could step right in. Defensive central midfielders are Canada's strength right now.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone illuminate why Marc Bircham is not in the frame for Canada? His continuing strong form in the English league championship (cracking goal today vs Sheff Utd) merits serious consideration. He is a bit of a tough nosed character though (see interview below from the Sporting Life), maybe too much for Frank Yallop to handle? (Yep, I'm still mad about Onstad as skipper over DeVos in world cup qualifying!).

QPR NEWS

Bircham - feels he is getting an unfair reputation.

BIRCHAM - I'M MISUNDERSTOOD

QPR midfielder Marc Bircham believes his reputation is earning him harsh treatment from referees.

Bircham is known as one of the most fiery players outside the top flight, and he rarely shies away from a tackle or from offering his opinion to the officials.

And after he was denied what appeared a clear penalty by referee Keith Stroud during the 2-1 win over Ipswich last night, Bircham is beginning to wonder whether the officials are getting their own back on him.

"When it comes to penalty decisions, I think the referees see it's me and think 'I won't bother!'," he joked.

"(Ipswich midfielder) Ian Westlake tripped me. I told the referee that he should have booked me if he didn't think it was a penalty.

"He said that it wasn't a dive, but that he couldn't be certain it was a penalty as he was looking through a crowd of players.

"I had a similar appeal turned down at Hull on Saturday. Perhaps it is just my luck."

Bircham, 27, has formed a promising central-midfield partnership with Tommy Doherty, who enjoyed a fine home debut following his summer move from Bristol City.

Ipswich boss Joe Royle, meanwhile, admitted his side had been out-muscled by QPR in the first half, although the Suffolk side improved after the break and were lifted by ex-Swindon striker Sam Parkin's first goal for the club.

Bircham admitted Rangers' physical strength was one of their assets.

He continued: "Being aggressive is not something you can teach - you either are or you aren't.

"But we have Georges Santos and Dan ****tu at the back, Tommy and myself in the centre, Paul Furlong up front and Martin Rowlands and Gareth Ainsworth - who both like a tackle - on the wings."

Kevin Gallen and Rowlands scored the goals in the first half as Ipswich failed to handle Rangers' fearsome tempo.

Playing with such pace and intensity at home is likely to unsettle many sides in the Coca-Cola Championship this term, but Bircham recommends that Ian Holloway's men change their style away from Loftus Road.

"I think we played really well against Ipswich, but we could have kept possession a bit more," Bircham said.

"We always try to attack. It works at home but sometimes we should maybe slow it down and keep the ball better when we go away."

Well. I think the COCACAF ref's would have a field day with him for a start. Suspect that out and out Serioux is his immediate compitition and Frankie's favorite, odviously, is Red Card. And unless Marc's gotten quicker and his passing has improved these last couple of seasons I don't think his sort of strong points make up for his weaker ones as far as Frankie is concearned.

I'm not a big Bircham fan but he certainly brings bite to the match and a ready attitude to the pitch. Two attributes which can be both intimidating, contagious, and at times in short supply.

He is one of those fellow who dose have a natural eye for the game though. If he can't match a lot of our lads on a physical skills basis he can certainly teach a few of them a thing or two on how to see a match from pitch-level I think.

But rightly or wrongly, I don't think Bircham is anywhere on Frankie's radar just now..

Archived