New Canadian League Thread...

Moosehead

quote:Originally posted by ted

Hmmm, cart before horse here I think Robert. :)

I was responding to a specific scenario taking place this year, 2005, with what we have available right now, today.

I know Victoria United would be very interested in competing in a tourney such as is being proposed provided two things happen, 1) someone pays for it, and 2) we can field a competitive team. I think the league would have a similar reaction.

US college players affects more than just Victoria. Several teams on both the men's and women's side found it difficult (and in more than one case impossible) to field a competitve team in August due to college commitments. And October is right out of the question as no PCSL team (except perhaps Surrey) exists outside of the PCSL season as far as I know. The Canadian college players return to school later in August and the rest of the players return to their local sides.

Fielding a PCSL selects side in a competitive tourney would be pointless as it would do nothing to showcase the teams (which is what builds fan interest) and would have to leave off some of the best players in the league. These college kids are not just filler or bench warmers. We are talking about Josh Simpsons.

As with all that we discuss here, it is NOT about finding teams or players. It IS about finding the money to put it together. SHOW ME THE MONEY and we will be able to make this happen. Hmmmmmmm. . . sounds like where we started this discussion before Christmas...[8D]

Now there may be some steps we can take towards what you and I dream of but a national championship tournament THIS YEAR is not a realistic step. Building a fantasy plan for a national league while MLS looms on the horizon is not a realistic step.

Please, somebody, make this thread die! [xx(] Oh right, I keep posting to it. My bad. [:I]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the understanding that I'm getting is that due to a substantial number of players attending college in the U.S., the PCSL season is limited in time from April 30 to August 31. This adds up to 18 weeks, which means that if each team were to play 3 games every two week (that doesn't seem unreasonable for serious soccer-minded college players) that would allow a potential of 27 games to be played by each team. There would need to be some form of soccer calendar unification throughout Canada, but as the U.S. college terms are constant for all, and the climate for soccer playing during this period should also work across Canada, we only need to focus on money. Nevermind our worthless CSA, they are not going to invest into a national product, at least not initially, and seem more inclined to act as a North American Soccer Association than a Canadian one. If, using the PCSL as an example, your league set aside ten procent of every ticket sold during the season by every club, would that be enough to cover the travelling expenses of the champions to a one week long national championship at the end of August? What would the total cost be? How much can the PCSL come up with? How options are there to pursue any short comings? Nevermind letting this thread die. This is too important to too many Canadian soccer fans. Nevermind what goes on in Toronto with the MLS. Whatever happens there is beyond our control and what the F is the MLS going to do for Victoria, or Red Deer, or Calgary, or Edmonton, or Saskatoon, or Regina, or Brandon ........or Halifax, or do I need to go on? I live in Canada and I care about Canadian soccer. Let's wish them well, but let us also stay focussed on soccer in the rest of Canada, and how we can improve the game for ourselves, because no one else is going to do it for us. And Richard, if you want to assume the unofficial, unsolicited critic of this thread, then be my guest. I'd love to have you on the constructive side, but hey... destruct as you please.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding all this talk about a national cup: allow me to point out once again that the CSA actually did try to start such a thing, several times over the last few years (I refer you once again to the WFP article from a few months ago in which I summarized these attempts). Coming up with the ideas for a tournament format, etc. is nice and all, but it's nothing new. The issue now is figuring out why those previous attempts failed to establish anything.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

River City's idea of an end of season "National Championship Tournament" is one of the better ones that I've read. This was a format used in many larger European countries (Germany most notably) until the infrastructure and will was there to have a national league.

As regards the money question this really is the role that the CSA should be playing. Seeding the tournament with money until it becomes financially viable falls under their purview of growing the domestic game. Furthermore, they should/could be using their clout (as it is) to line up sponsorship even if all that means is discount flights and accomidation. That way any gate receipts could be used as prize purse divided along established guidelines. Ultimately the tournament could be a money earner for the CSA but sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Richard or Ted: If the CSA could organize money such that at least the travel costs of participating teams could be covered would PCSL teams take an interest in participating? I understand the situation with university students but remember that we are only talking about 1 team need to reassemble its squad sometime in (likely) October for what at most would be a 1 week tournament. What percentage of Victoria United's players play for college sides? Could suitable replacements be found? Would working players be able to get a week (or two) off work?

Obviously there are a lot of questions that would need answering but this is a reasonable proposal that should be investigated.

Mike.

By October most PCSL players are thoroughly scattered all over the continent with commitments to college programs in Canada and the USA or playing in other leagues such as the Vancouver Metro Soccer League. The Okanagan Challenge for example has routinely been being bringing in American players from Texas for the PCSL season, indeed their coach is an assistant coach at Midwestern State University. This is but one example of many. Imagine the reaction if you were to ask the Vancouver Whitecaps or Montreal Impact to assemble their team for a Christmas tournament somewhere - what team would they assemble? They don't even have a team after the end of their season. You want a PCSL club to attend a tournament then at the very least hold the tournament while the PCSL teams are together.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Sorry, but this can't wait two weeks. How do you stay in business when you have lost money 52 consecutive issues. Losing money for 3 years (WFP #1 was lanched May 3rd, 2002), while staying at home full time to publish WFP, and watching countless hours of satellite soccer broadcasts in addition to keeping track of how much time I spend on the net. Amazing. How do you pay rent and eat? Please tell us your secret?

"How do you stay in business?

None of your business Robert.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

By October most PCSL players are thoroughly scattered all over the continent with commitments to college programs in Canada and the USA or playing in other leagues such as the Vancouver Metro Soccer League. The Okanagan Challenge for example has routinely been being bringing in American players from Texas for the PCSL season, indeed their coach is an assistant coach at Midwestern State University. This is but one example of many. Imagine the reaction if you were to ask the Vancouver Whitecaps or Montreal Impact to assemble their team for a Christmas tournament somewhere - what team would they assemble? They don't even have a team after the end of their season. You want a PCSL club to attend a tournament then at the very least hold the tournament while the PCSL teams are together.

I don't see how the tournament could be held during the PCSL's current season. As has already been mentioned the schedule is apparently very tight and to be a viable "National Championship" you'd have to wait until other leagues have crowned their champion. The more I read on this board the more I feel that the whole structure of Canadian soccer has to be blown up and rebuilt from the ground up - pull an Australia if you will. Only that way could the various parts be integrated into one cohesive whole. The sad and crazy thing is that the CSA actually has the power to do this - they just seem to lack the will and imagination to pull it off.

Mike.

Most leagues across the country operate with relatively short playing seasons, unlike European pro clubs, many of whom play for 10 months in the year with players committed fulltime to that club.

How would a CPSL club field a team in October, or any of our USL1 or USL2 clubs? How would an OSL club field a team during their offseason, or the Alberta league?

It's one thing to keep a team together outside their normal playing season when the team comprises amateurs drawn from the local community who don't have other soccer commitments except to that one team, it's quite another when you're dealing with clubs with relatively high operating budgets that assemble a team from players drawn from all over the continent and even further afield and signed explicitly for that club's playing season.

I suspect this is but one of many very practical reasons why nobody has ever succeeded in putting together any kind of workable national cup tournament in recent times, nevermind how much we might want one.

Very little of what I describe is within the control of the much maligned (here at least) Canadian Soccer Association much as some Voyageurs might like to lump them with all the blame.

I don't see how the tournament could be held during the PCSL's current season. As has already been mentioned the schedule is apparently very tight and to be a viable "National Championship" you'd have to wait until other leagues have crowned their champion. The more I read on this board the more I feel that the whole structure of Canadian soccer has to be blown up and rebuilt from the ground up - pull an Australia if you will. Only that way could the various parts be integrated into one cohesive whole. The sad and crazy thing is that the CSA actually has the power to do this - they just seem to lack the will and imagination to pull it off.

Mike.

Right on the head, Mike. Nobody in Canadian soccer seems to be on the same page, or have the willingness to get there. The fact that the PCSL will accommodate and play second fiddle to a Metro League, but will not bend to an equal or higher structure shows where their priorities are at. No let's not talk about it this year, and next year doesn't look good either because Toronto's vying for an MLS team. Oh yeah, right Ted, like that's gonna have a major impact on your beloved Vic United. A total overhaul of the entire soccer Canadian system is needed. The people that control soccer in Canada today have shown they lack any vision in leading Canada forward. Just look at the unsatisfactory state of affairs of Canadian soccer in our lifetime. The political leaders do nothing but bitch, look for excuses to do nothing more and bleed the sysrem dry of all its resources. There should be at least one professional club in each province, however most provinces don't even have an amateur regional league. Shame, shame, shame. The CSA should be organizing a national competition, but they opening admit that they have tried and are incapable of doing so. Well, step aside Kevan and let someone else who thinks they can try. The CSA can't run the National Team, they can't run a National League, what can they do for Canada? Support MLS&E in their endeavour to land an MLS team? How F ing pathetic!

Robert.... and you have the gall to accuse ME of being negative and un-constructive.

Why don't you run for office in the provincial or national association and work to achieve the changes you so bitterly criticise those organisations for not making? That would be much more constructive than bitching and whining on the internet about how useless other people are.

Incidentally, what do you do beyond the ordinary on a regular basis to promote the current and future of the game in Canada?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Robert.... and you have the gall to accuse ME of being negative and un-constructive.

Why don't you run for office in the provincial or national association and work to achieve the changes you so bitterly criticise those organisations for not making? That would be much more constructive than bitching and whining on the internet about how useless other people are.

Incidentally, what do you do beyond the ordinary on a regular basis to promote the current and future of the game in Canada?

Why did you capitalize ME?

To quote Robert: "Why did you capitalize ME?"

I can think of a few reasons...

1) Grammatical license - one of a number of emphasising elements designed to lend focus, distinction and singularity to a subject. Often an italicised 'me' would be the preferred choice but in common discourse capitals or an underline works however, and this is important Robert, never combine any of them. You know how you have a habit of saturating a decent debate with convoluted, erratic thoughts... well that would be like 'me' in italicised, underlined capitals followed by one of these... !

You need to stay focused mate, and stop using a sledghammer to drive home your nihilism. The universe can only handle so many negative ions disharging all over the place.

2) Richard had earlier explained his active, PROGRESSIVE role in our game and his capitalised 'me' was in part, an expression of bewilderement if you will, at your implication that he was a negative force.

3) Richard's sublime use of emphasis may also suggest a pot calling the kettle black effect. You have repeatedly championed the cry of the naysayers and rendered many a good thread repetitive and reduntant. You are often a shame and a blight on the grande scheme of things.

Get real Robert, and please stop asking bloody riduculous questions of Richard, myself or anyone else.

Why did you capitalize ME?

For somebody who,

a) is sufficiently confident of his linguistic abilities to be writing a book, and

B) spends as much time as you do conversing via the internet,

that is a truly remarkable question to have to ask.

Robert: you are being played by an arrogant, agenda driven, supporter of a Vancouver based league who's goal is to fool all into thinking the PCSL is anything more than Toronto's OSL.

For the same reasons the OSA has given the CPSL a hard time with trying to promote a women's professional league, Richard continues to support the CSA and the PCSL and attacks anyone who doesn't take his view. Pure politics.

Let him write his book and run his little empire.

Soccer will survive despite him and his kind.

quote:Originally posted by T5

Robert: you are being played by an arrogant, agenda driven, supporter of a Vancouver based league who's goal is to fool all into thinking the PCSL is anything more than Toronto's OSL.

For the same reasons the OSA has given the CPSL a hard time with trying to promote a women's professional league, Richard continues to support the CSA and the PCSL and attacks anyone who doesn't take his view. Pure politics.

Let him write his book and run his little empire.

Soccer will survive despite him and his kind.

It's surprising soccer and the PCSL has survived IN SPITE of people like Richard. A perfect example of the old hangers on, living in the past, sitting around in board meetings, arguing over small stupid things like VERY minor politicians.

The PCSL is a lovely little reserve league for the Whitecaps shadow team, but please...PLEASE let's put an end to ANY further discussion of the PCSL or OSL CPSL in the new Canadian League thread.

And Richard...good for you in "helping run" the PCSL. But quite frankly, I've watched enough games to know that the Vancouver Metro Men's Premiere league is better quality, attracts better players usually draws twice as many specatators, and doesn't charge people to watch it.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

This thread started with such promise, outlining very real problems and providing real solutions. Unfortunately it has eroded into this back-biting school yard politcking... and for what?

I play XBOX online (Halo 2) and during games of Capture The Flag, there is usually one idiot per team that shouts 'get the flag' in the middle of a battle. 'get the flag' is bloodae obvious and any idiot can proclaim that as if it does some good. I use that phrase as a euphamism for posturing on knowing what to do when it is clear that you don't have a clue.

I would like to see some of the suggestions again rather than people yelling "get the flag".

The CSA starting over is one hell of a suggestion, going one step higher. Perhaps that money isn't the sole problem, but rather the infrastructure that would umbrella it. If the CSA was to be dismantled, how do you go about rebuilding it? Any ideas?

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

This thread started with such promise, outlining very real problems and providing real solutions. Unfortunately it has eroded into this back-biting school yard politcking... and for what?

I play XBOX online (Halo 2) and during games of Capture The Flag, there is usually one idiot per team that shouts 'get the flag' in the middle of a battle. 'get the flag' is bloodae obvious and any idiot can proclaim that as if it does some good. I use that phrase as a euphamism for posturing on knowing what to do when it is clear that you don't have a clue.

I would like to see some of the suggestions again rather than people yelling "get the flag".

The CSA starting over is one hell of a suggestion, going one step higher. Perhaps that money isn't the sole problem, but rather the infrastructure that would umbrella it. If the CSA was to be dismantled, how do you go about rebuilding it? Any ideas?

I agree with the three posts above. It is time to re-focus on the real concerns confronting Canadian soccer, instead of getting sucked into the bickering I have recently been involved in. You raise an interesting question regarding the dismantling of structures currently in place, that just aren't cutting it. I too believe that Canadian soccer could and should be doing better than it is today. For change to occur, some the old infrastructure needs to be dismantled before any rebuilding can take place. Although I have no experience of this process in soccer terms, it must have some similarities to renovating an old house. One needs to investigate what has to be taken out and replaced, and what is still structurally sound and usefull. Once this has been done, one can make an assessment based on what's left and introduce new ideas for the envisioned new house. So first thing's first, what needs to be dismantled in Canadian soccer. Again maybe like a house, which needs to be gutted, where would one start? At the top, at the bottom, inside the structure, or outside? If the roofing is leaking, that might be a starting point. It appears that the foundations, the youth programs, are solid and strong, and therefore need not be replaced. There are segments of the Canadian soccer community that are willing to communicated and work together. They should obviously be retained. With the interest in our game, there will always be money available to soccer. How much depends upon the stewardship of those entrusted with that responsibility. Any new system introduced must employ Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Full-disclosure of all sources of revenue and expenditures must be made public. Attendance figure should be disclosed. I'm starting to get ahead of myself here. The first question of what needs to be replaced should be addressed first. Whatever you think that is, state why this is your point of view and offer a solution. When responding, let's try to be respectful and keep personal value judgements out of it. Let's see what we can come up with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the understanding that I'm getting is that due to a substantial number of players attending college in the U.S., the PCSL season is limited in time from April 30 to August 31. This adds up to 18 weeks,

Sorry but you are mistaken (perhaps I should have been more clear).

The PCSL season cannot start until AFTER the provincial cup Finals (Sunday May 15 this year) and must end by August 1st as the U.S. College players are required to return to their schools for training camp before school starts.

This leaves a total of 11 (ELEVEN) weekends to play out the season and is reduced immediately to 9 weekends in order to accommodate the Challenge Cup and John F. Kennedy Cup Tournaments. Some teams in the league can play mid-week games but overall it is a very tight time-frame due to circumstance totally beyond the control of the league.

I wish we could use the whole period April through August. (Heck, I would have liked to see a national league play from April 1st through to a cup final on Thanksgiving weekend.) But unless it makes financial sense for these young players to stay in their local communities and play I cannot blame them for choosing to leave early nor can the league do anything about it.

The more I read on this board the more I feel that the whole structure of Canadian soccer has to be blown up and rebuilt from the ground up ...

Ahhhhhh, finally, we ARE on the same page. I have thought that way for years and when I got involved in the CUSL planning that was what I thought we were doing.

But you know what, it is about fear. Now I know I rant on about money but what money does is it"buys out" the fear.

The CSA won't change because they fear going broke. The pro teams feel the same. The sponsors fear they will simply lose money to no good purpose when the CSA and the teams go broke. The majority of Canadian fans will not support any effort to start a new league because they fear getting burned again. "Old-Country" fans will not support pro soccer in Canada because they fear losing their identity as Italians/Brits/Argentinians whatever.

Each and every one of these fears can be overcome by money but you have to have it in sufficient quantity to begin with. MLSE have suffficient money to make the MLS in T.O. a reality. We have to accept that and move on.

We cannot fight the fear with reason. We cannot come up with the perfect plan that will make the fear go away. Only someone (or a couple of people) with both the vision AND the money could make it happen. That is why the MLS exists, because Hunt and Kraft had the money and the vision. Then they created a plan which is starting to work after nearly ten years.

I will allow that it is theoretically possible for a Che or a Napoleon to lead the revolution that could topple the regime of fear. But I am not that man and, no direspect intended, no one else posting to this thread is either.

quote:Originally posted by ted

Ahhhhhh, finally, we ARE on the same page. I have thought that way for years and when I got involved in the CUSL planning that was what I thought we were doing.

But you know what, it is about fear. Now I know I rant on about money but what money does is it"buys out" the fear.

The CSA won't change because they fear going broke. The pro teams feel the same. The sponsors fear they will simply lose money to no good purpose when the CSA and the teams go broke. The majority of Canadian fans will not support any effort to start a new league because they fear getting burned again. "Old-Country" fans will not support pro soccer in Canada because they fear losing their identity as Italians/Brits/Argentinians whatever.

Each and every one of these fears can be overcome by money but you have to have it in sufficient quantity to begin with. MLSE have suffficient money to make the MLS in T.O. a reality. We have to accept that and move on.

We cannot fight the fear with reason. We cannot come up with the perfect plan that will make the fear go away. Only someone (or a couple of people) with both the vision AND the money could make it happen. That is why the MLS exists, because Hunt and Kraft had the money and the vision. Then they created a plan which is starting to work after nearly ten years.

I will allow that it is theoretically possible for a Che or a Napoleon to lead the revolution that could topple the regime of fear. But I am not that man and, no direspect intended, no one else posting to this thread is either.

I tried to respond to Calgary Boomer's post one below this one. When I tried to send my response, the following appeared:

ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

/forum/post.asp, line 323

Does this mean we are getting deleted again?

Oh yeah, right Ted, like that's gonna have a major impact on your beloved Vic United.

Nope, I never said it would have a major impact on my "beloved Vic United" (why does that sound like you are making a negative comment regarding my support for my local side?).

But MLS does preclude any more talk of a national league. We cannot have both in this country and unless the idea of an MLS franchise dies there is no longer any way to make a national league happen unless it is a second-tier league working with the MLS team(s).

I don't like it. I think a top-tier national league would be a better idea for sponsors, player development and fans but since I don't have the money and they do, I lose. :(

Good sportsmanship requires acknowledging when you have lost. Of course, losing this round does not mean giving up, it just means it is time to regroup to acheive the teams goals.

My goals in all of this have aways been twofold:

1) Develop players capabale of qualifying for the world cup.

2) Being able to watch a local pro team in a national league.

These are interconnected goals and are still achievable. I may see the route differently than you or Mike but I still hope to get there in my lifetime.

I am sorry if my goals, effort and dedication are not enough for you, but really that is not my problem. :)

So if I were to blow it up, I would treat soccer not as a sport, but a business and an industry.

Our young talented players are the raw materials, and because we have plenty of them (as many as in other more "developed" soccer nations) you need to find a way to:

-mine them (promote participation in soccer for the youth)

-manufacture them (give them the best possible coaching)

-sell them domestically (to the public in a pro league)

or sell them overseas for (to big clubs collecting transfer fees.)

In exchange for top coaching and development, part of a players contract would include a clause that gives the national team priority over a club team.

Based on the SWOT analysis done earlier and taking into account all of the discussion since, I have finally put (almost) everything together and am pasting it below.

Please remember that before PHASE FOUR occurs, PHASE THREE has to work and the clubs have to be ready to make the jump, otherwise, the whole thing will die.

STRENGTHS:

1) Good organizational infrastructure across Canada ie. provincial and local associations

2) Talent base

3) Strong existing Clubs that are ambitious

4) First world economy, capitalist society

5) Strong sports coverage across Canada (media)

6) Strong University league in place(amateur league for draft purposes)

7) Proliferation and acceptance of field turf, season extension.

8) Visibility of Global leagues strengthen case for TV deal

WEAKNESSES:

1) Weak national association

2) Weak public (media) image of sport

3) No identifiable Owners with deep pockets for a full fledged national league

4) Weak track record of paid attendance

5) Lack of identifiable and inexpensive facilities

6) Lack of identifiable revenue streams for Clubs

7) Short season

8) Part-time players have limited availability due to 'real work' commitments

9) Volunteer Management may not be capable or have required skills

OPPORTUNITIES:

1) Creation of strong regional leagues to serve as second division is feasible and will provided the immediate base for any future 'National League'

2) 2007 will provide buzz, but action needs to be taken (if MLS had waited a year to launch it would have lost any momentum the WC 94 provided)

3) league could obtain marketing databses through soccer schools and combined efforts with local associations

4) Get markting mentorship from NHL. NHL offseason = Soccer season. If Yankees and Man U can be partners....

5) Import of reserve talent from other leagues

6) Corporate involvement in league through ownership packages as well as exclusive sponsorships to each of the 10-14 teams. Each team would have one corporate logo on their jersey and other merch, every stadium would have field level signage exclusively from the 10-14 sponsors (so they could be seen on TV, newspapers etc.), logos at official league events, and on national broadcasts (this game has been brought to you by...). They could be sold with 5 year terms at $500,000 a piece ($100,000 per year) like stadium naming rights. $5 million in revenue right there.

7) Creation of official Voyageurs/Local Organizing Committees/Ultra groups to get involved locally, lobby businesses and media and help sell tickets. Possible incentive - Sell 10 tickets and get one free

8) Each team to have territorial rights so that they may market their teams as they wish, tailoring it to the local conditions and not concerning themselves with other teams

9) Adidas, Nike, Puma, etc might be interested if a watertight business plan and stability are offered

10) Linkage with Foreign Clubs to nurture talent, sponsorship and mentorship

11) Linkage with existing A-League Clubs as it wold provide them with better control of talent development

THREATS:

1) Existing associations may not be keen to support any new ventures as they prefer to extend their own influence and power

2) No guarantee of a TV deal or positive media coverage. How much coverage did the Aviators and Mustangs receive locally?

3) Startup costs will undoubtedly keep many groups at bay

4) Competition fom MLS, A-League, and Europe (keeping talent)

5) American influence on our infrastructure. Canadian League vs. MLS

6) Competition with CFL for entertainment dollar, TV deal

PRELIMINARY PLAN FOR THE RESHAPING OF CANADA'S SOCCER STRUCTURE

PHASE ONE - VOYAGEURS AWARDS

1 - The Voyageurs Cup

It will continue to be awarded to the overall winner of the USL matches between the three Canadian teams.

2 - The Voyageurs Ranking List

A ranking system will be setup to establish a statistical manner of comparing the various teams throughout Canada.

1)MLS - 0 Teams - W= 6pts, D= 3pts, L= -3pts

2)USL 1 - 3 Teams - W= 4pts, D= 2pts, L= -3pts

3)PCSL and CPSL - 20 Teams - W= 3pts, D= 1pt, L= -2pts

4)AMSL and CIAU - 10 Teams - W= 2pts, D= 1pt, L= -1pt

6)Other Provincial - W= 1.5pts, D= .5pt, L= -1pt

The points awarded for 2005 will decline by 20% each year so that by 2009, the point value gained every year will look like this;

Year Value

2009 5/5

2008 4/5

2007 3/5

2006 2/5

2005 1/5

3 - The Voyageurs Golden Shoe

To determine the best striker in all the land, the following point system will be used to compare all strikers.

1)MLS - 3pts

2)USL 1 - 2pts

3)PCSL and CPSL - 1.5pts

4)AMSL and CIAU - 1pt

6)Other Provincial - .5pt

PHASE TWO - A NATIONAL CUP IN 2006

OPTION 1

The Voyageurs Cup is awarded to the winner of an 8 team, CSA sanctioned tournament, with the winner going to represent Canada at the next CONCACAF tournament.

WHO:The teams invited would be as follows; the 3 USL teams, the PCSL champ, one team from the prairies (champions of Alberta, Sask, Manitoba to figure it out), CPSL champ, Quebec champ, one team from the Maritimes. Any teams declining to attend to be replaced by 1) another team from prairies, 2) another team from maritimes

FORMAT:

Two groups of 4 with 12 group stage games plus 2 semifinals, 3rd place and final. Total of 16 games.

WHEN/WHERE:

The tourney will be held in conjunction with the CSA nationals.

MONEY: All teams paying own way to get to tourney (it shouldn't be that difficult considering crappy teams go off on tourneys all the time). Tourney organized by LOC (local org committee)All costs to be covered from revenue. Any extra rev to be awarded to winner.

STEPS NEEDED:

1) Voyageur support

2) Lobby CSA to sanction tourney without demanding its pound of flesh

3) Settle format, date and location - Voyageurs in each city to provide details

4) Setup LOC

5) Invite teams

OPTION 2

FORMAT:

3 rounds of one game, knock-out competition for a total of 7 games.

WHEN/WHERE:

The rounds would be played on the Victoria Day weekend, Canada Day weekend and Civic Holiday Weekend at sites to be determined once the draw is held.

OPTION 3

To award the Voyageurs Cup to the winner of a Canada wide, single elimination open tournament. An entry deadline of December 31, 2005 with a sliding scale entry fee would be required and all preliminary round matches would be played at the municipal level, regional level, provincial level, interprovincial level, and finally national.

PHASE THREE - LINKING REGIONAL LEAGUES IN 2008

On the heels of the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship, the following leagues would provide 4 teams each to play in new regional leagues, with a promotion/relegation system in place as long as all requirements are met.

WESTERN LEAGUE

PCSL, AMSL

PRAIRIE LEAGUE

Saskatchewan and Manitoba

CENTRAL LEAGUE

CPSL AND Soccer Quebec

MARITIMES

The 4 provinces would have to establish a regional league with two teams from each province.

PHASE FOUR - A NATIONAL LEAGUE

Once the viability of the Regional leagues has been established hopefully around 2010, an 8 team National league would be established, consisting of two conferences and playing from May until September. The Western and Eastern Conferences would have 4 teams each and could play 2 games against each team in other division (8 games) with 6 games aganst teams within their division (18 games) for a total number of 26 games.

Playoffs: Top two teams in each division play each other in a two game total series. Final at the home of the finalist with the better overall record.

Archived