New Canadian League Thread...

Moosehead

Well, I think if we're going to eliminate options so as not to open the door to conflict and ridicule, then we should promptly shut down this forum and never talk out loud about professional soccer in Canada again!

I would say that the Provincial teams should be ranked in the same category as the CIS. Just because someone had the grades to make it to the U of A, doesn't mean they can kick a soccer ball better than someone who didn't.

The issue with the provincial leagues is that some of them are not as strong as others and we need to look at something to make them rankifiable. (Ok, I couldn't think of a word). Maybe their performance at nationals?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by River City

Well, I think if we're going to eliminate options so as not to open the door to conflict and ridicule, then we should promptly shut down this forum and never talk out loud about professional soccer in Canada again!

When trying to unify a land as vast as ours, we need to keep things simple. Not excluding or making any part of this country feel lesser than (in terms of soccer) would not facillitate unification. A league with teams bearing names such as Joe's Hamburger All-Stars would not garner much respect and credibility from the soccer world at large, aside from those who patronize Joe's (now if it were McDonalds that would be a different can of worms.

quote:Originally posted by River City

When trying to unify a land as vast as ours, we need to keep things simple. Not excluding or making any part of this country feel lesser than (in terms of soccer) would not facillitate unification. A league with teams bearing names such as Joe's Hamburger All-Stars would not garner much respect and credibility from the soccer world at large, aside from those who patronize Joe's (now if it were McDonalds that would be a different can of worms.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

A league with teams bearing names such as Joe's Hamburger All-Stars would not garner much respect and credibility from the soccer world at large, aside from those who patronize Joe's (now if it were McDonalds that would be a different can of worms.

I'm not really concerned with what the teams are called, as they're overall ability is what counts. If Joe's Hamburger All-Stars can beat the Toronto Really Classy Named Guys, then that's all that matters.

• 13 years later...
On 3/22/2005 at 9:10 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

The CFL has already made a small time nationwide league work pretty well in recent history. I don't see how a similar CSL could exist in direct competition. On the revenue side, there's potentially some TV and sponsorship money to be had as soccer could be a growth industry in Canada, but the problem is the commitment to new start-up/fixed costs. You need a strong gate to hope to break-even if you need to sign your own stadium lease, hire your admin staff, and commit to a marketing budget. The CFL clubs have already leveraged themselves to these costs. If they expanded the scope of their operations to include soccer (a la Barca with BB), any marginal revenue from increased attendance and concessions, and eventual TV and sponsorship would go straight to the bottom line.

It's far from ideal, as I hate field turf and football lines as much as the next guy, but here's a rough overview: each football team would field a soccer team to play double-headers that are free with your football tickets, thereby playing an 18 game copy-cat schedule. Much like myself, the players will be young and underpaid, perhaps with a mimimum salary supplied by the CSA as part of a revenue sharing agreement.

What the CFL gets:

1) meets the object of getting people to the game earlier (think tailgate party with higher beer margins).

2) low risk venture with high potential pay-off if synergies are found

3) access to new sponsors and new fans

I really hope Kerfoot goes MLS and builds a soccer only stadium here. Still, how about a Whitecaps/Lions derby?

Sorry, found this post funny in restrospect. Nostradomus would have done better on ticket prices.

On 2/8/2005 at 4:28 PM, Robert said:

Boomer, it's great to have your enthusiasm involved here. There's nothing in soccer that interests me more, than realizing the dream of a Canadian Soccer League. I just wish that the people who try to dampen our spirits, those who get hypersensitive when the current structure gets critized, because it's not being done in the manner they like, I wish they would stay out of these dicussions. They have nothing to contribute when it comes to presenting new ideas for soccer in Canada. They act like parents, who instead of talking soccer, feel inclined to make us conform to their standards. They are complete waste of my time and I wish they'd start their own discussion on Voyageurs' etiquette on the general discussions board. Enough about them. Let's talk soccer.

This thread is considerably older than my time on here, and I didn't read through the whole thing, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see what the Robert of 2005 was saying, so I read his first comment on this thread.

I find the bold text above pretty hilarious considering what he's been spewing related to CPL. Paraphrasing: "There's no countdown clock, there's no schedule yet, we don't need a LEAGUE we need a STRUCTURE."

On 2/12/2005 at 1:09 AM, DoyleG said:

The only way a league in the future will have any chance of surviving is that it has to be a national league. The media will never take any setup of regional leagues seriously. The reason that the CBL was taken so seriously from the start was that it was a national league

A league will also have to take seriously the idea that the owners of these teams are not going to be from the cities that will have teams in such a league. They will have to accept that if they seriously want to bring in the money for the league.

Any start would be with 8 teams with an average budget of $1.1 Million each.

Plans should also be pushed to have existing facilities in the cities named brought up to standards since getting any SSS built is slim to none in Canadian cities regardless if the money for it comes from gov't or private sources.

What a great post though!

Archived