Jan 28 U20 WCQ - Honduras v Canada - PRE-match

DJT

<center>Honduras vs. CanadaEstadio Francisco Morazán

San Pedro Sula, HondurasFriday, January 28

6:00 PM PST / 7:00 PM MST / 8:00 PM CST & local / 9:00 PM EST / 10:00 PM AST / 10:30 PM NST</center>

Current standings:

Honduras  1-0-0  4-2  3
Canada 1-0-0 2-1 3
Mexico 0-0-1 1-2 0
Jamaica 0-0-1 2-4 0[/code]

Honduran radio stations (did any carry the first Honduras match?):

Radio America: rtsp://diprosahn.com:554/encoder/dip1.rm

Radio HRN: http://www.radiohrn.hn/HRN_files/online.htm

Power FM: mms://200.30.169.78/live

Hey, the offer is still open to anyone who has illegal (or otherwise) cable and can get the match in Edmonton. You provide the match, I provide the beer. PM me buddy!

Fri Jan 28 05:00PM Pacific

Fri Jan 28 06:00PM Mountain

Fri Jan 28 07:00PM Central

Fri Jan 28 08:00PM Eastern

Length: 2 hr LIVE

CentroAmerica TV

Torneo Sub 20 CONCACAF - Grupo 2

Honduras vs Canada

CentroAmerica TV

Language: Spanish

DISH Network

Channel Number: 834

Orbital Slot: 110 degrees west longitude

My thought is that Mister Mitchell will change his lineup slightly to a 4-4-2. According to Alberto, Johnson was not particularly effective as the lone striker, so we may see Uccello against Honduras, partnered with either Johnson or Wilson.

Predicted lineup:

Wagenaar

Kassaye -- Hainault -- Stewart -- Ledgerwood

Peters -- Gyaki -- Rosenlund -- De Jong

Uccello -- Johnson

This would see Schiavoni miss out.

Even with the 4-4-2, though, I think Canada will attempt to attack down the wings, as Peters and De Jong apparently gave the Mexican defenders fits with their pace.

I agree with Beaches that the teams will be somewhat cagey, especially in the early going,and am predicting 3-1 Canada (Rosenlund, De Jong, Uccello)

As successful as Mister's formation and tactics were last night, I would expect that there would be some change both in formation and personnel for the suprise element given that Honduras will have plenty of scouts and tape from the match. In addition, no matter what shape the players are in in terms of conditioning, playing only 48 hours later in that humiditiy has got to have an effect on players. The basic notion of a widened attack will stay, even if there are minor variations. I expect he will start off with a different formation with at least two different starters in the central midfield and/or attack, and revert back to the more successful formula and original players later if need be. Wagenaar will certainly start again, and Begovic will only come in against Jamaica if we clinch it with a victiory tomorrow night.

My sympathies Alberto, but seems like you probably won't see Julian Uccello off the bench unless the Mister really needs a goal. In which case, we might even see a flying 4-2-4 formation with Julian as the spearhead! Who could have imagined Canadians are actually playing exciting attacking soccer somewhere in the world?

And since you have a satellite and can actually watch the brilliant tactician Mister Mitchell and his Winged Wonders fly, why am I even feeling sorry for you?

Canada 2 (Johnson 63, Uccello 81)

Honduras 2 (that kid with the jerry curl 23, 45)

Forza Rossoblanco!

quote:Originally posted by canso

My sympathies Alberto, but seems like you probably won't see Julian Uccello off the bench unless the Mister really needs a goal. In which case, we might even see a flying 4-2-4 formation with Julian as the spearhead! Who could have imagined Canadians are actually playing exciting attacking soccer somewhere in the world?

And since you have a satellite and can actually watch the brilliant tactician Mister Mitchell and his Winged Wonders fly, why am I even feeling sorry for you?

Canada 2 (Johnson 63, Uccello 81)

Honduras 2 (that kid with the jerry curl 23, 45)

Forza Rossoblanco!

I am a Milan fan by the way, true colours Rossoneri, please dont feel sorry i am to old for you to feel sorry for me! I just try my best to help specially a kid like Julian and his respect for the game and his fellows colleagues both on the field and off.

Its ok if I do not see of much of Julian i see him alot here that you don't and dont know what your missing, just as long as Canada wins and advances thats is the issue at hand. So lets hope for the best and team at this point and it does not boil down to goals like in 2003 and you dont use him enough to see it for yourself.

Just so you know, Mister Dale Mitchell will be calling in as a guest on Inside Soccer Radio Saturday afternoon sometime(5 to 8 pm Eastern) from Honduras if you want to listen in:

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=26

If you want, you can try to phone-in or email in questions, but they seldom get around to those.

Hopefully, we will have qualified by then[8D].

After win over Mexico, Canadian under-20 soccer team tackles Honduras

posted January 27 @ 20:13, EST

(CP) - It's not often Canada gets to beat Mexico in men's soccer, but the Canadian under-20 team didn't have much time to celebrate in Honduras after Wednesday's 2-1 win at a CONCACAF world qualifying tournament.

"You'd like to be able to enjoy it for a little bit longer, but we had a good talk with the boys today. We explained to them that you just have to do the math and realise that three points is not going to be enough for us," Canadian coach Dale Mitchell said Thursday from the team hotel in San Pedro Sula. "Everybody else that is here is still capable of at least getting six.

"We just want to make us that we do everything we possibly can to make sure that when we leave on Monday that we've got a nice trip to Holland ahead of us in the summer."

The young Canadians can move a step further to booking their ticket to the World Youth Championship in the Netherlands by beating Honduras on Friday. The hosts opened with a 4-2 win over Jamaica.

The top two teams in the four-country group will advance to the 24-country finals. The U.S. and Panama qualified from an earlier CONCACAF qualifier.

Canada wraps up play Sunday against Jamaica.

The Canadian game plan worked to perfection against the Mexicans. Jaime Peters and Marcel de Jong tormented the Mexicans from the flanks and midfielder Ryan Gyaki, the co-captain playing just behind striker Will Johnson, took his chances to score both goals.

Mitchell was happy with Gyaki's success, noting injuries and time with the under-20 team have cost the Calgary player at Sheffield United in England.

"He's had a bit of a tough time the last few months," Mitchell said. "It's been tough for him but he's been real committed to the under-20 program . . . For him to come through for us was pleasing for all of us."

Honduras, meanwhile, presents another tough challenge.

"They have some good attacking players," Mitchell said. "They're going to be highly encouraged by the home crowd here who were very vocal (Wednesday) night.

"And they had a good result, so they're going to be full of confidence. The papers are predicting that qualification is in the bag. We know we're going to have our hands full."

Mitchell does not plan changes to his lineup.

Already qualified for the June 10-July 2 World Youth Championship in the Netherlands are the host Dutch, Benin, Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, South Korea, Japan, Syria, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Switzerland, Italy, German, the U.S. and Panama.

Canada, who will host the 2007 edition of the tournament, reached the quarter-finals of the 2003 competition in the United Arab Emirates.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Honduran article on Canada:

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=1276&tabla=January_2005&fecha=20050128

Rough translation:

“Honduras Will Cause Us Problems”

Diego Paz Salgado

Redacción La Prensa

Photo

The players of Canada’s National Team Training Yesterday At the Estadio Olímpico.

San Pedro Sula- Canada’s National Team are more full of pure blind confidence than ever, and they have a thousand reasons this time. In the first qualifying match for Holland 2005 they won 2-1 against the Mexicans, still considered by some as favourites to qualify at the end.

Having trained until ten in the morning at the Estadio Olímpico here, the sole objective of this North American side is to steal three extra points today against Honduras.

STRATEGIST

Canada’s Coach, Dale Mitchell, was quick to comment “I’m proud of the guys because we worked hard until the end for our victory. We knew that we could beat Mexico, we played well, and we deserved the result.”

He also commented on the key to beating this particular Mexican squad. “Mexico go at you directly, they like to play forward, not like the other national teams from that country. We have guys who are effective in countering this, especially Andrew Hainault, and Ryan Gyaki, who gave us the difference in play with his two goals.”

THE NEXT RIVAL

Turning to his next rival, Mitchell observed the match that the Catrachos had against Jamaica and drew various conclusions. “Honduras will play differently today because they have really gained the support of their crowds and have the motivation of having won their first match against Jamaica. We know that to win just one match is not sufficient, so we have to go for the three points”.

In addition, the strategist describes Honduras as a quick side, with athletic players who know how to carry the ball well and, "I am sure that they are going to cause problems for us and that it will be difficult to win against them. We will not aim for a draw, we will try to play with a lot of dynamism and we will go out to win the match."

Mitchell is careful not to be overly optimistic. “It’s always tricky in coming to any conclusion that you are 90 minutes from going to Holland. We cannot take success for granted because it is still necessary to win. We are conscious of the fact that we could be leaving Honduras Sunday disqualified.

OPINIONS

Ryan Guiki, Canada’s Goalscorer

“We have respect for the Hondurans. Honduras’s goalkeeper Fernando Botto is good, if only because of his excellent concentration. Our best weapon is to play smart and desire to win.”

Joshua Wagenaar, Canadian Stopper

“We have a lot of motivation to take it to Honduras. Their forwards César Güity and Ramón Núñez played well and are difficult to stop. However, their strength seems to be the long-distance shots and stopping those are my specialty.”

ACCORDING TO THEIR COACH

Dale Mitchell gave his opinion of various Catracho players.

César “Baba” Güity

“He had an outstanding performance in the first match, he knows how to dominate and posses the ball, and shoots very well. Obviously we are going to have to apply a lot of caution towards him.”

Ramón Núñez

“He’s always ready with the ball, and he knows how to make some very good passes. I hadn’t known that he had played with Dallas of the MLS, his play surprised me, and we’ll have to take pains to cover him closely.”

What is heartening to see here is how careful Mitchell and the lads are being about their next game. They are not even talking about Jamaica, and are doing their best to be cautious in the press and in their minds (so it appears). It would be easy to get inflated hopes and lose focus after a big result, but I think Mitchell has the experience and the brains NOT to let his team lose focus.

Again, tonight will be a scrappy game, likely scrappier than the Mexican game. Lots of Hondus will be hitting the pitch (dig a whole and bury him!), and I expect a very tight affair. Our lads will get stuck in, for sure.

Vive le Canada!

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Honduran article on Canada:

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=1276&tabla=January_2005&fecha=20050128

Great article, full of information and quotes. Far better than Canadian written articles. Why can't our media produce something, at least, close to that. And these guys (Hondurans) don't even speak English.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Hey, the offer is still open to anyone who has illegal (or otherwise) cable and can get the match in Edmonton. You provide the match, I provide the beer. PM me buddy!

Fri Jan 28 05:00PM Pacific

Fri Jan 28 06:00PM Mountain

Fri Jan 28 07:00PM Central

Fri Jan 28 08:00PM Eastern

Length: 2 hr LIVE

CentroAmerica TV

Torneo Sub 20 CONCACAF - Grupo 2

Honduras vs Canada

CentroAmerica TV

Language: Spanish

DISH Network

Channel Number: 834

Orbital Slot: 110 degrees west longitude

KOOL I HAVE CENTRO AMERICA TV! THANX FOR TELLING US I DINDNT KNOW! I'LL GO BUY SOME BEER AND GET TOGETHER WITH SOME FRIENDS AND WATCH THE GAME!

Archived