Jan 28 U20 WCQ - Honduras v Canada - PRE-match

DJT

Another Honduran article in Spanish, this time on the Honduran preparation for tonight's match.

honlink

Rough translation:

A HOLY CALL FOR TRIUMPH

15069.jpg

Prior to training, our players submitted themselves to God and requested of him a victory over Canada

San Pedro Sula- We forced in four goals against Jamaica and have already added three points in the first match in the world qualifiers for Holland 2005, but the players of the Honduras U20 National Team are conscious that before that, the match against Canada will be another story.

If they can wrap up the three points, they can be packing their suitcases for the voyage to Europe.

Coach Rubén Guifarro seems to have that concept clearly in mind: "The players know that nothing has been gained yet, we’ll have to see what happens against Canada and Mexico. I consider today the key match, if we win we are in Holland ".

The coach observed the first match the day before in which the Canadians overcame the Aztecs, and it was his impression that the imminent rival [Canada] was the best team of the match, and that it will be necessary to make an total effort to obtain the three points.

Guifarro said, ´it’s no matter to me if people it don’t like the way we played, the important thing is that we winning. The mass media is underestimating us because they say that Jamaica was better, but we registered the four goals on the card and we won. To do the same against Canada, it is necessary to put out an even greater amount that’s possible ".

The coach says that some journalists credit the last victory to luck, the only factor that allowed the bicolores goals last Wednesday.

"That’s okay, I am going to leave it at that. The important thing is that we have improved in all individual aspects and got the result."

FERNANDO BOTTO

The keeper that tilted before the windmills of Jamaica, Fernando Botto, never had had as much fame as he has now. But not of the good variety, as he was the culprit on the goal credited to Arshey Presley.

Guifarro considers that, "it was a terrible error. It happens to everybody, I have seen it made by keepers of international stature. I believe that the commentators have exaggerated the error. It was possibly a case of nerves, even the Italian keepers have it go between the legs, why not Botto ".

The coach wouldn’t say if did not need if the same keeper was going to play today, but it said that it was possible that there would be some changes in the team’s makeup.

CONCERNS

His players Hendry Thomas and Emilio Izaguirre did not participate in the recuperative training the side underwent yesterday, since they are suffering from injuries and undergoing medical treatment, should be able to participate in today’s encounter.

Guillermo Fonseca, team doctor, explained that Thomas is suffering from tendinitis in the right knee, making it necessary to take various medications, orthopedic and physiotherapy treatment and the use of heat application, in order that his recovery will be fast so he can participate in the match with Canada.

Izaguirre underwent strain in the right ankle, but it is not serious. "He is under observation and following treatment, so he can recover".

PHYSICAL TRAINING

The physical trainer, Raul Mayorga, indicated that the players displayed a considerable amount of wear and tear, a product of the conditions of the pitch at Morazán Stadium in the previous match and by the roughness in the game.

The players who started against the Caribbeans had an easy workout yesterday; having several laps around the field followed by some stretching. However, the rest of the side had concentrated close-encounter ball drills. At the end, coach Rubén Guifarro emphasised the tactical aspects.

TODAY GAMES

Jamaica versus Mexico 5:30 p.m. Morazán

Honduras versus Canada 8:00 p.m. Morazán

THE BOTTOM LINE

When equal points between two or more teams, the tiebreaker criteria that will be used is the following :

1. Winner of the particular series between the teams.

2. Goal differential between all participating teams

3. The greater number of all group goals.

4. Drawing of lots.

Interesting to see in the above article that the Honduran coach also had the impression that Canada was the better team in their game versus Mexico. Interesting to see, too, that some critics feel that Jamaica played better than Honduras in their game.

Should be a dandy tonight.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Interesting to see in the above article that the Honduran coach also had the impression that Canada was the better team in their game versus Mexico. Interesting to see, too, that some critics feel that Jamaica played better than Honduras in their game.

Should be a dandy tonight.

Beaver Im on my way to watch the first game but let me just say this god help Canada if Mexico should wake up and Mexico scores 4 or 5 goals against Jamiaca as Canada will require the same amount of goals plus one in their game with Jamaica.

Of Course the Honduras coach is going to say that is true but what he did not say is what i saw in the game MEXICO WAS A SLEEP THAT IS IF THEY WERE favorites any team could have beaten Mexico that day. Mexico played like sta fughi up there ass. I seen in with my own eyes but remmeber the Lions when it wakes up its hungry you better hope that it has not woken up because if it did IE Mexico and Jamaica im refering to. and Canada should lose to honduras there will be a three way tie for top spot. and for the second time canada future will will go dwon to + - and you will reflect back the first game when they should have won 5 or 6 nothing. and nothing was done!

So lets hope for a mexico a tie and or a win for CANADA deluting any thoughts of mine that I wish not to happen to this very talent team.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Just so you know, Mister Dale Mitchell will be calling in as a guest on Inside Soccer Radio Saturday afternoon sometime(5 to 8 pm Eastern) from Honduras if you want to listen in:

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=26

If you want, you can try to phone-in or email in questions, but they seldom get around to those.

Hopefully, we will have qualified by then[8D].

Mitchell is set to go on at 4 pm pacific , 5 pm mountain & 7 pm eastern, apparently.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Beaver Im on my way to watch the first game but let me just say this god help Canada if Mexico should wake up and Mexico scores 4 or 5 goals against Jamiaca as Canada will require the same amount of goals plus one in their game with Jamaica.

Of Course the Honduras coach is going to say that is true but what he did not say is what i saw in the game MEXICO WAS A SLEEP THAT IS IF THEY WERE favorites any team could have beaten Mexico that day. Mexico played like sta fughi up there ass. I seen in with my own eyes but remmeber the Lions when it wakes up its hungry you better hope that it has not woken up because if it did IE Mexico and Jamaica im refering to. and Canada should lose to honduras there will be a three way tie for top spot. and for the second time canada future will will go dwon to + - and you will reflect back the first game when they should have won 5 or 6 nothing. and nothing was done!

So lets hope for a mexico a tie and or a win for CANADA deluting any thoughts of mine that I wish not to happen to this very talent team.

Yes, Alberto, we need to stay focussed and get the win tonight. A Canadian win and a Jamaican tie or loss puts us through. The Mexicans certainly should not be taken lightly, but as we have seen, nor should the Canadians. Let's not get too morose yet, mi ami. Tonight will be a huge game. Honduras does NOT want to have to be in a position where they must beat Mexico in the final game to even have a chance of advancing. Canada will have a very tough team on their hands tonight, but I think we are ready.

Any radio or webcast links yet?

Of the three Honduran links I posted at the start of this thread, I think Radio America will have it, because they had Mexico vs. Jamaica. I've reposted the links and highlighted this one in the in-match thread.

San Pedro Sula- Canada’s National Team are more full of pure blind confidence than ever, and they have a thousand reasons this time. In the first qualifying match for Holland 2005 they won 2-1 against the Mexicans, still considered by some as favourites to qualify at the end.

I'm confused, who do they consider "favourites to qualify at the end", Canada or Mexico?

I think hrn http://www.radiohrn.hn/HRN_files/online.htm is carrying it, they are having pre-game commentary now, reals player if you guys got it

was not able to link to the Radio America link, and the last one is all music (great if you like dirty salsa

Well then it appears that both stations will have it. I'm still listening to Radio America and they just finished O Canada and are now playing the Honduran anthem.

Alright, the in-match thread is now open:

http://www.thevoyageurs.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5837

Archived