Encouraging Jon De Guzman news

bc_soccer_fan

From the CP in an article about Julian.

Notes: De Guzman's younger brother, Jonathan, is captain of Feyenoord's under-19 side in the Netherlands and has also played for the reserves there. Julian says his 17-year-old brother, a midfielder, is interested in playing for Canada, but perhaps not until he solidifies his club future. "For me and Jonathan, it's always been a dream to pay with each other. We joked about it, we talk about it. Even to play against each other would be a dream. It's just right now he really wants to focus on his football in Holland. And if a national team callup ever does come up, I could see him accepting it if it does come from the A team. Right now he wants to just find his spot with the first team in Feyenoord."

Sounds like Jonathan is leaning towards playing for Canada!!:)

Well done, Juli. Keep working the lad. Nothing like sibbling rivalry (good natured or otherwise) to push the younger one's buttons.

If Yallop can call Peters it seems like a no-brainer to call in a 2nd de Guzman.

Can't see a summer tourny, like say the Gold Cup for an example, interfereing with a Dutch club career.

OOP. Gotta go. SPL returns to FSWC.

If Jon played for Canada, i'm pretty sure it'd be a dream for all of Canada! 2010, i'm almost sure that we'll make it to the World Cup... Peters, De Guzman bros, Will Johnson, Hume, Hutchinson, it'd definitely being a young, quick paced team, with great technical ability!

Yes, this is damned encouraging and would bring tears to my eyes if I wasn't still so damned nervous he'll choose Holland over Canada. Still, this is hopeful. I'd love to see him get called up this summer for the Gold Cup. Why not? Like somebody said, if you can bring Peters into the senior line-up, why not DeGuzman?

I think Yallop has tried to call in younger De Guzman, but unlike Peters (who was free to accept any invite), Jonathan is really focused on breaking into that first team with his pro club. And I think part of this is from his parents advice, as you have to remember when Julian got called up to play with youth sides when he was at Olympic Marseille, the team punished him. The De Guzman parents don't want to make the same mistake/risk with their second son, and remember, this is Feynoord, the team that put pressure on Brad Parker to not attend the 2000 Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Yeah, I remember the infamous Brad Parker/Feyenoord/Gold Cup 2000 fiasco.

What a great career move that turned out to be!

I've had a couple of rants in the past about club vs country on Net54. It seems the guys who put country before club suffered short term pain and long term gain. The Voyageur whipping boys Stalteri and Fenwick have/had great club careers. Fenwick was benched with crap club Greenock, moved up to Raith and gets a sweetheart deal with Hibs. Good on ya Paul. DeVos has moved onward and upward, hasn't hurt him.

There are far more examples of people benefiting from choosing country over club than vice versa. Trying to think of somebody who didn't - Jeff Clarke had problems but that was not to do with club pressure (good ol' Holger).

If young Guzzi is as good as we think he is do you think Feynoord would alienate him? I doubt it. You need strength of character to stick to your guns and the guys who have it (above) have benefited.

Besides, when reading news articles they always say Canadian international so obviously there is a respect for people who have the talent to play for their country and I believe clubs (present and future) take notice. (ie Ipswich and Peters)

So my rationale is whether your present club penalizes you - no matter. If you have talent you will quickly get out of the doghouse and if the club lets you go the exposure you receive playing internationally along with the title will help with other opportunities.

Just think of poor old Carl English. Declined to play for Canada in the Olympics. Missed a great run and excellent exposure so he could train for NBA camps. He's now playing 3rd division US basketball.

Guest Jeffery S.

Good point above. A serious team respects the kids international ambitions. Right now Barça has let Messi go for 5 weeks, and he was starting to get first team playing time as a sub, in spite of being just 17. What is more, the team only has one pure striker with Larsson injured. Messi has scored four in three Comebol u-20 qualifiers, two played as a sub.

It is a question of respecting the player and having some long term perspective. Plus giving him exposure internationally. But fair enough if Jonathan wants to wait for now.

Yeah, and to add to that point, it isn't like Jonathon would be risking his pro-career entirely by playing for Canada during the qualifiers and beyond. By all accounts, he's a helluva prospect, one of the stars for his age-group in Holland. I am sure that somebody respectable will want him to play for them some day. I'm sure MANY teams will fight for his services. Maybe I'm overstating his currency, but it seems that he's being over-cautious. Mind you, he's still quite young. It is a lot to process at such a young age.

IMHO...It'd be great if he came out to play for our u20s...but that doesnt cap-tie him anyways (i'm prtety sure anyways, something about 21 yrs old to be cap tied.....i can never get this one strait!) What we need to do, when he's ready, is cap-tie him with the sr mens team. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. But like mentioned before, he is young still.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

IMHO...It'd be great if he came out to play for our u20s...but that doesnt cap-tie him anyways (i'm prtety sure anyways, something about 21 yrs old to be cap tied.....i can never get this one strait!) What we need to do, when he's ready, is cap-tie him with the sr mens team. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. But like mentioned before, he is young still.

Why not v. Portugal?

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

because friendlies don't count for cap-tieing, has to be some type of tournament game I believe..

From beachesl:

Any friendly between Associations representative teams, such as this, ARE "competitions" under the FIFA statutes:

Article 3 of the Regulations Governing

the Application of the Statutes

"1 International football matches recognised by FIFA are those between

two Members of FIFA and for which each Member fields a representative

team.

2 An international “A” match is a match arranged between two Members

of FIFA and for which both Members field their first representative

team.

3 The terms used to define a match are those that give an appropriate

political and geographical description of the countries or territories

of the Members whose teams are involved in the match and

over which countries or territories the Members have sole control

and jurisdiction.

4 If a Member allows one of its Leagues to choose a team that bears

the name of its country, the match shall be considered an international match as described in par. 1 of this article."

Archived