Real Salt Lake?

Andrew W

They've supposedly come to some accord with Real Madrid and IMHO fans don't choose teams based on names, but I can't help but feel that it was easy to name the team something that required no thought whatsoever.

BTW, would someone know the history of the term Real and how the sides that use it, decided on it. Someone on BigSoccer suggested that it was a term bestowed by the Spanish Royal family.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

LA Kings? KC Royals?

Haha you know what., as much fuss as there's been in this Real Salt Lake name, SABuffalo, you have a point! Even i was like "thats stupid" to call them Real Salt Lake, but i never thought about teas like the Kings and the royals...Its not quite in the same context but it's basically the same idea.

You know, in retrospect, I don't have a huge problem with the name because names don't really matter to me. Still I have this feeling that the owner (who ignored all polls and input on the name issue where Real was constantly snubbed, including one on their own site) tried just a little too hard to be "traditional" in naming the team.

Oh well, it's his team.

It's a stupid name and so is "FC Dallas". In both cases they have tried too hard to sound like soccer names (in a Euro-snob sort of way) and have missed the point that a nickname should have a particular connection with the place it represents. I mean, how many Texans refer to soccer as "football"?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

It's a stupid name and so is "FC Dallas". In both cases they have tried too hard to sound like soccer names (in a Euro-snob sort of way) and have missed the point that a nickname should have a particular connection with the place it represents. I mean, how many Texans refer to soccer as "football"?

Ummm, the incredibly large Latino population, perhaps?

I've been making a real(not réal)effort to stop commenting about places that don't affect me . But RÉAL SALT LAKE ? Utah Utes is taken I understand but ahhhhhhh No-body in the States is gonna call them RÉAL SALT LAKE especially with a south-western accent ?

I can't offer an alternative at this time but I'm sure the scribes will just call them the SALTIES or som derivative . Maybe they'll be that thar soccer team .

Mind you for some reason D.C. United seems to work . But I've never been fond of North American teams borrowing Euro monikers it just seems contrived .

Then again Jazz has worked for b-ball and we've all heard those jokes .

What's the next MLS team to be called ( not the new Mexican backed )

Gunners ?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I've been making a real(not réal)effort to stop commenting about places that don't affect me . But RÉAL SALT LAKE ? Utah Utes is taken I understand but ahhhhhhh No-body in the States is gonna call them RÉAL SALT LAKE especially with a south-western accent ?

I can't offer an alternative at this time but I'm sure the scribes will just call them the SALTIES or som derivative . Maybe they'll be that thar soccer team .

Mind you for some reason D.C. United seems to work . But I've never been fond of North American teams borrowing Euro monikers it just seems contrived .

Then again Jazz has worked for b-ball and we've all heard those jokes .

What's the next MLS team to be called ( not the new Mexican backed )

Gunners ?

Philadelphia Hotspur.

Deportivo Las Vegas.

Inter Minnesota.

Ajax Orlando (that one actually exists).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Philadelphia Hotspur.

Deportivo Las Vegas.

Inter Minnesota.

Ajax Orlando (that one actually exists).

So sorry the Mexican backed team already has CLUB DEPORTIVO CHIVAS USA .

Let's go with STANDARD LAS VEGAS ( as there is nothing standard there )

GRASSHOPPERS no ( there is no grass that you mow )

YOUNGBOYS may work in LAS VEGAS but not as a team name .

My favourite for Salt Lake is TORPEDO SALT LAKE .

EDIT :

Besides Dynamo/Dinamo , Lokomtiv , Spartak & Sparta are probably the most used European monikers .

Well, "Saturday" would be a more appropriate name, as that is when MLS play the bulk of their matches.

Sheffield Wednesday derives its name from its predecessor, The Wednesday Cricket Club, whose meetings and cricket matches were held on Wednesday afternoons. The club, formed by some local craftsmen who had to sell their wares on Saturday and refrain from ungodly activities like sports on Sundays, took their half-day off to play sports. Association football was later added as a supplement to keep in shape during the bad cricket months of the winter.

The club was formally called "The Wednesday", until "Sheffield" was added as an afterthought in 1929. The team's nickname was "The Blades", until somebody decided that "Owls" was better because an eccentric fan used to bring a stuffed Owl to the stadium. Sheffield United nicked "The Blades" later.

SheffieldWednesdayEmblem.PNG

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I was under the impression that the Wednesday part was there since the club always played on Wednesdays. The "Owl" was to represent the neighbourhood of "Owlerton". I knew about them being called the Blades before.

I just read this all last week.

As far as Real Salt Lake, I mean, the name sounds neat, but it's faux. DC United implies that there were two DC teams before and merged. Real implies that a king bestowed his blessing. Though I like the idea, and the intention is certainly there, I would've rather them pick other names, though I fancy the name DC United. FC Dallas could only be better than "Burn".

I had this idea as a kid, I was going to turn the James Street Armory (military offices) in downtown Hamilton into a cozy 12,000 seater and put a club in there called Hamilton Arsenal... at least the name would've fit. Sorry, just a side note.

Archived