Dylan Hughes called up for Wales

Have we lost another promising young player?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=306105&cc=5901

The relevant section is at the bottom of the article:

"He has produced 11 uncapped players and a couple of interesting new names, Plymouth's Peter Gilbert and a young striker from Kaiserslautern in Germany, Dylan Hughes.

Gilbert has a Welsh father and has been a virtual regular in Plymouth's side. Canadian-born Hughes used to be a Newcastle youth player and was spotted by former Magpies skipper Gary Speed.

Hughes is just 19 with a Welsh-born father. He returned to Canada after leaving Newcastle, and then tried his luck in Germany, where he has had regular reserve team football."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We knew Dylan has had options from the start. He has regularly shown up for Canada in friendly series', but, remember, he did not make the trip to UAE when asked in 2003, which would have committed him fully to Canada (barring the new U20 rule) had he stepped on the field. If I remember correctly, he was asked to join the team as a bench player (like Lindley, Edgar, Wagenaar & Ledgerwood) for the experience as he was unlikely to see much action and elected not to go.

I would not count him as lost, but at least we have numerous players at or near his level and at the same age. This defection would not be anywhere near as devastating as a previous which I shall not mention.

As much as I hate to lose a promising player on a technicality such as this, we must start to become somewhat arrogant. If he decides to go, all the best to him because we have at least 5 players just as good or better.

Maybe he is trying Wales because the Canadian team would be too tough to crack!

Remember how long it took Terry Dunfield to decided to play for Canada? Hughes is probably exploring all of his options before deciding which country he'll play for. My guess is whichever lineup is easier for him to crack will be the country he chooses.

True... But I would like to see the CSA and and the coaching staff start to drawing the line in the sand with some of these players. Would it be unfair to ask the player why he initially refused to partake in the UAE squad? and if there is any evidence of players just USING the CSA and canadian soccer, why not just be up front and state that you want a full commitment from the player and if he refused to commit then they would be no longer invited to any future camp or considered as a national team member. It would save costs and benefit another player who might have not been invited but is committed to the program.

Because what I believe is really happening in these instances is that the player continues to show up at these camps to add that extra feather in their cap or in order to pad their resume so to speak. They make themselves look good by showing that they have international credentials as evidenced by their callups to camps. Thus making themselves more attractive to clubs or nations like wales. Simply, they are using canada. Much like Hargreaves, Dunfield and maybe even Uccello. The thinkng here is: "If I'm good enough I'll play somewhere else. If I'm not, there is always Canada. heck even if I have to settle for Canada it might still open doors for me".

If you tell them from the start that if you cannot commit to the youth sides when called upon, you won't ever receive any future callup from any level, then they might think twice. It would be a very tough pill to swallow for Canadian soccer but It might even save resources resources and costs that are wasted on someone who jumps ship. Do the coaches make speach or pronoucement for any new players who are first called up to the youth sides? Maybe they should.. something along the line, "we have invited you here to represent canada in soccer. You should honnored and we are very pleased and greatfull for your commitment. But if you are not sure that canada is the country that you wish to represent, then you are welcomed to leaved, no hard feelings".

I don't know if its just me but I find these kind of tales very bothersome. Some like to point to Grande as another example. But I have always seen his situation as very different than than the others. The csa never comitted anything to him, unlike the others. As far as I know ( from that article in La Presse a few years ago)his beef seemed to be with the CSA because he was never invited to anything in the past. I am much more confortable with a callup of Grande than someone like Dunfield for example.

That's quite a stretch to accuse Hargreaves of 'using Canada'. He was absolutely gutted to be cut by Tony Taylor. From that time on, he had nothing to do with Canadian soccer (CSA in particular).

Well Free Kick, I don't think threatening players is going to build loyalty.

As for me, I got all my angst out with Hargreaves. Any other player with a Canadian connection who decides to play for another country is a real "who cares" in my book. No longer interested in him, if he does, and ain't gonna lose any sleep over it. There seem to be more and more talented young Canadians playing professionally in Europe these days, and I'd rather support them than wring my hands over anyone who "gets away". That being said, I'll write off Dylan Hughes only after he commits to Wales.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

I would say that that is not threathening players. Everytime someone shows up at a camp, I would assume that that there are, among other things, travel and accomdation costs involved ? Plus there ae others who are not invited and perhaps committed to the program who don't get the same benefit. why is not reasonable to asked for a simple comittment or gentlemens agreement in return? No threat and nothing binding.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

As for me, I got all my angst out with Hargreaves. Any other player with a Canadian connection who decides to play for another country is a real "who cares" in my book. No longer interested in him, if he does, and ain't gonna lose any sleep over it. There seem to be more and more talented young Canadians playing professionally in Europe these days, and I'd rather support them than wring my hands over anyone who "gets away". That being said, I'll write off Dylan Hughes only after he commits to Wales.

I sort of agree. I spent so much time and anguish following the Hargreaves soap opera for over two years I just don't have the energy to get worked up about this sort of thing anymore. We lost Hargreaves but the world didn't end and Canada's doing fine without the little missing-his-mark-allowing-Portugal-to-score-and-force-extra-time-and-then-go-on-to-win-in-penalties bastard.

I appreciate the news about Hughes though - I remain interested in his progress and hope chooses to play for his real country.

perhaps Hughes is just using Wales.....i still am of the opinion that if I was a young player and had the choice, I would choose Canada over Wales as we have a way better chance of playing in a World Cup then Wales. I am not saying we are a better side (although probably as promising in 5 years time) but we play in a much easier conference to qualify.

I agree An Observer. I believe Dylan is just keeping his options open in case he is not needed by Canada. Riley O'Neill seems to score every game. Franco Lalli & Jeremy Shepherd are playing at or near the same level from the '85 group. Cam Wilson & Julian Uccello are highly regarded '86s. Jonathan DeGuzman has not been to a camp yet, while fellow 87s Lombardo & Gomez are at Atalanta & River Plate respectively. Now we have the two newcomers Johnson from Blackburn Rovers & Devenish from T & T.

Tough competition for Dylan. Now I am not saying he is not good enough, just that he has been given the opportunity with Wales and is not letting it go just yet.

Well that's they way the FIFA game is played. I would prefer that

he chooses Canada, but then again that's just my bias.

To be capped he must PLAY at least once. After that who knows.

Tough choices for a young player. Good luck to him, hopefully

he's just "exploring" the camp and evenutually chooses Canada

for Germany 06.

Even if he played U20 he could still play for whom he wishes. Its the new FIFA ruling. However, these players have no loyalty. He has been part of the Canadian program since 2000 under Derek Possee, so a a lot of money was spent on his development and getting him International experience. If he plays for Wales Dam him.

Dylan Hughes will commit to Wales ahead of Canada

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/3549134.stm

New faces for Wales U21s

Canadian-born Kaiserslautern striker Dylan Hughes says Wales are favourites to secure his international services.

The 19-year-old is in Wales' Under-21 squad for next week's Latvia friendly, but has played for Canada Under-20s and is also eligible for England.

"I want to play at the highest level possible. I think right now that's Wales, but I'm still deciding," said Hughes, whose father is a Welshman.

Because the Latvia game is a friendly it will not commit Hughes.

"It will give me a good chance to look at the Wales set up and for them to look at me," Hughes told BBC Sport Wales.

"I'd definitely rather play for a European country ahead of Canada as to represent them involves long journeys that are tough on the body.

"Playing in Europe you are facing bigger and better countries."

Hughes joined Newcastle at the tender age of 16 where he was spotted by former Magpies skipper Gary Speed and recruited for the Wales Under-18s side.

He moved to Germany two years ago and hopes to break into the Kaiserlautern first team this season, having already represented their Under-19s and second XI.

"Leaving my parents to join Newcastle was difficult," says Hughes.

"I was over that by the time I moved to Germany, but the language barrier there was hard to overcome at first.

"There are still times when I miss home, but I'm doing something I want to do so the sacrifices are worth it."

I would agree that we have more depth than we have had before but any decent player is a loss to a program like ours. And I thought he was one of our better prospects. From what I recall, he would have been an underage player for our last under 20 side if he didn't turn down the invitation which would have put him in the company of Ledgerwood, Edgar and the two young keepers Lindley and Wagenaar (sp?). To me, that means he is one of our best prospects at that age.

This being said, he has made no commitment at this time and he certainly has been involved with our program only recently. So lets wait and see.

If he makes the senior Kaiserslautern squad this year as he states he'd like to in the article, this would be a big loss for us. He is very young to be winning a spot on a Bundesliga squad as a striker.

I would wait and see as well. He has played numerous similar friendlies for Canada. What would you like him to say to the Welsh media, " I really have no interest in playing for Wales, I am just here because they asked me and I had nothing better to do"?

Archived