Dylan Hughes called up for Wales

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confirmation that Hughes is playing on the U-21 squad of Wales against Latvia the same day the senior sides play, Wednesday. He would still be eligible to play for Canada as long as he did not play for the Wales Senior side, but he sure seems to have made his choice, especially coming so soon on the heels of the July 25 appearance for Canada's U-20's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/wales/3570900.stm

interesting article as it implies he is still some way from making a decision. And I wonder if the decision is influenced by his club. Note this quote.

"Wales are boosted by the fact that the youngster has an open mind, and know that Kaiserslautern don't like the idea of their young prospect travelling to Canada for possible matches in the future."

I also didn't realise that he was 6ft. I thought he was average height with speed.

doesn't seem Hughes did much in his debut with Wales U21

Latvia U21 0-0 Wales U21

David Pipe captained an inexperienced Wales side

A new-look Wales side took credit from a professional display in Riga as new manager Glyn Hodges opened with a draw.

Wales, with 12 new caps, wasted a glorious chance to take the lead early in the second half when Cardiff's Nicky Fish headed wide from 10 yards.

Arsenal's Adam Birchall also came close when his 25-yard drive was turned over the bar by goalkeeper Antons Trifonovs.

On the hour, Wales keeper Lewis Price produced a fine reflex save to block a near post header from Intars Kirhners.

Hodges would have been impressed by Danny Parslow - one of four new Cardiff caps - at the back, Price and the midfield industry of Lee Fowler and Fish.

Wales had to hang on in the end as the Latvians found a late surge, but Wales deserved their draw and will head off to Azerbaijan next month in confident mood.

Said Hodges: "Considering how little time we have had to prepare for this, I was well pleased with the display.

"They are very young, but in time I believe we can mould together a decent side for the future, they certainly lacked nothing in commitment and effort."

They were guilty of giving the ball away too easily in the first half at the Daugavava stadium, but there was plenty of endeavour and organisation - a quality notable in its absence over past seasons.

I cannot fault anyone and if they keep listening and learning then we have some good players here for the future

Wales U21 manager Glyn Hodges

Wales created some openings near the break when Stuart Fleetwood took a pass from Birchall and forced his way into the box, only for Trifonovs to take the ball from his toes.

Captain David Pipe - the only player in the squad with a full international cap - then lashed a 20-yard shot inches over in injury time.

Wales brought on Manchester United youngster Ramon Caliste at the break for his first cap in place of Birchall, and he instantly brought neat control and running power to the game.

Pipe found himself booked for a foul and Fowler for dissent before two more new caps arrived on 59 minutes when Wrexham's Simon Spender and Cardiff's Byron Anthony took over from Richard Duffy and Craig Morgan.

Arron Davies from Southampton, and Mark Jones of Wrexham, came on for Fish and Fleetwood while 'keeper Lee Worgan replaced Price on 70 minutes.

The Wales substitutes continued with Les Davies from Welsh Premier side Bangor replacing Pipe, and Peter Gilbert was booked late on for a foul.

The change in personnel inevitably disrupted the flow of the game, but Wales kept their shape well to secure the draw.

"We managed to get some control and had the best chances, certainly at the end of the first half," added Hodges.

"I cannot fault anyone and if they keep listening and learning then we have some good players here for the future."

Wales U21: Lewis Price (Ipswich Town), Richard Duffy (Portsmouth), Peter Gilbert (Plymouth Argyle), Lee Fowler (Huddersfield Town), Craig Morgan (Wrexham), Daniel Parslow (Cardiff City), Stuart Fleetwood (Cardiff City), Nicky Fish (Cardiff City), Dylan Hughes (Kaiserslauten), Adam Birchall (Arsenal), David Pipe (Notts County, capt).

Subs: Simon Spender (Wrexham), Mark Jones (Wrexham), Les Davies (Bangor City), Ramon Caliste (Manchester United), Arron Davies (Southampton), Byron Anthony (Cardiff City), Lee Worgan (Rushden & Diamonds).

Guest Can. in UK

From SkySports:

New Wales Under-21s manager Glyn Hodges was quick to praise Dylan Hughes following his impressive display against Latvia on Tuesday.

Hughes also qualifies to play for Canada but made the decision to play Wales, the country in which his father was born.

The Kaiserslautern striker spent little time training with his team-mates prior to the game due to a delayed flight into Cardiff but was still praised by his manager.

"Dylan did very well, he hardly knows anyone and his flight into Cardiff on Sunday meant he was late for training, but he did very well for us," Hodges explained.

The youngster clearly impressed Hodges, in a game that saw the new manager, who has taken over from Jimmy Shoulder, hand out 12 debuts.

"His first touch is good, he is quick around the pitch and has a lot to offer us," said Hodges.

Following the 0-0 draw with Latvia, Hodges is confident that, in time, he can produce a successful side of committed players.

"I cannot fault anyone and if they keep listening and learning then we have some good players here for the future," he said.

Thursday sees Hodges name his squad for the Uefa Championship qualifiers next month and, considering his solid performance against Latvia, Hughes is certain to be part of the party.

I came across this site while reading about our u-21 manager mentioning this Dylan Hughes fella. You have my sympathies. Wales have lost numerous players to England over the years. Hargreaves could have played for Wales as well as Canada and England.

I can't see Canada ever beating Wales 3-0 unless you can produce enough players of sufficient quality to come and play in Europe or the North American leagues improve beyond recognition. You face the same problems as the States, Australia and New Zealand. You seem to be up against countries with huge tradition and football cultures that at the moment you cannot compete with, even tiny countries like Wales. We are producing far more world class players than Canada or the USA. Considering the difference in size, this is outstanding.

I went to see the Canadian national team lose to the Wales B side a few months ago. Canada were the weakest side I have seen Wales play in a while and I've seen us beat Scotland and Azerbaijan. Let Hughes play in Europe. He might get to be a squad player for us, but he's no doubt going to struggle to break into our first XI, which is capable of beating the best in the World on their day.

read carefully - I didn't say we win every match we play.

We in Wales are victims of geography in one sense. I believe we are in the top 32 teams in the world and should therefore compete in the World Cup. Unfortunately we have to play other strong European nations to qualify. Whereas Canada................well.

btw Just compare the size of Russia and Wales. Compare the amount of professional players. I think we did remarkably well. We also outclassed Italy as well in one of the matches. Not bad for such a small country. While we're at it - Dylan Hughes sounds pretty Welsh to me.

read carefully - I didn't say we win every match we play.

We in Wales are victims of geography in one sense. I believe we are in the top 32 teams in the world and should therefore compete in the World Cup. Unfortunately we have to play other strong European nations to qualify. Whereas Canada................well.

btw Just compare the size of Russia and Wales. Compare the amount of professional players. I think we did remarkably well. We also outclassed Italy as well in one of the matches. Not bad for such a small country. While we're at it - Dylan Hughes sounds pretty Welsh to me.

quote:Originally posted by Ptang

read carefully - I believe we are in the top 32 teams in the world and should therefore compete in the World Cup. Unfortunately we have to play other strong European nations to qualify. Whereas Canada................well.

Wait a minute. Perhaps you haven't noticed but in the last WC, the US and Mexico advanced out of their group and Cost Rica should have were it not for their own stupidity ( in their final group game against Brazil) since they didn't play their final group game with the aim to advance but rather on principles. Therefore they lost out to Turkey on goal diff. That means that there should have been all three sides from this region in the round of sixteen. Then go back to France 98 and Usa 94, you will see that concacaf more than held their own against the other regions. Unfortunately, like many europeans and Brits, you are grossly underestimating the quality of football in this region.

having said that, I am not deny that UEFA is by far and away the strongest in depth and quality. But the world cup is global competition not a european competition. If you bother to even check briefly what happens outside your back yard, you would see that comptetive football is not only played in Europe. In my opinion, I do not see Wales being able to handle the top sides in our region in a neutral site game. In my honnest and unbiased opinion, I could not see them qualifying for the World cup if they were to play in Concacaf.

Unfortunately, you are displaying the same ignorance of football in North america that we keep hearing time and again from UK sources. Example: A-League is conferance level.

Remember how Italy complained that it was robbed in WC 2002

by abysmal officiating? That is typical of what Canada

has to face every time it plays in Central America. Not to

mention the conditions (+35 C at a 1 pm game, altitude,

cow pasture pitches), and the atmosphere (fans that throw

bags of urine and coins, players diving all the time, etc).

Free Kick was right --- although UEFA has the BEST teams,

it is doubtful that Euro teams would be as successful as

most would assume, when playing CONCACAF sides in these conditions.

Canada however doesn't play dirty.

Ptang,

At the last U20 World Cup, lowly Canada beat the Czech Republic to advance, then, after a victory to get them to the quarter finals, lost by golden goal to Spain. Since Wales was nowhere to be seen, please tell us how they made out in qualifying. Win any games?

You are such a powerhouse that you have to come to a "lower nation" to poach our players. If Dylan chooses Wales, and I hope he is smart enough not to, lets hope that he can put you over the top so that you could actually reach a WC, rather than falling just short.

This from a fan of a nation that just lost at home to Guatamala.

"I do not see Wales being able to handle the top sides in our region in a neutral site game"

How many of the Canadian national side would get in the Welsh team?

Not one!

But if you have such a low opinion about the quality of our players, why would you care whether or not Dylan Hughes gets capped by Wales? We have players playing at an equal level or better than Hargreaves (whom wales wanted). Did they not want Hargreaves? Therefore if Hargreaves was good enough for Wales why wouldn't others on the canadian squad who don't happen to have a British passport? Sounds like your saying that a canadian player is only good if he expresses a desire to play for Wales or that anyone who is any good in canada has a british passport. Like its every youth soccer player's dream in Canada to growup and play for Wales some day.

I'll bet, No I am sure, that you have never watched an international match or world cup qualifier involving concacaf sides. Whereas most iof us have seen both. Try it, if you can catch it on the tele.

As I have already said, I have seen a concacaf nation play. I watched Canada actually lose to a second string Welsh team only a couple of months ago.

I also said they were the poorest team I have seen in a long time (I haven't missed a Welsh match for six years. Canada were as poor as Scotland and Azerbaijan (and that is poor).

Sorry.

I have seen a concacaf nation play. I watched Canada actually lose to a second string Welsh

You watched one concacaf team play an away freindly and your an authority on the quality of football in Concacaf?

At least we can both agree that Giggs is a second stringer. :D

Admit it, you care and know little about football beyond what happens in your own back yard? I have seen Wales play on the tele against Italy and listened to the wales v Canada game on internet. I also saw canada play scotland on the tube and Canada versus Northern Ireland back in 1999. Judging from what i saw, I would have to rate Wales behind Scotland and not even close to England. Still trying to decide where I would rate Wales in comparaisons to Northern Ireland. Plus Scotland has qualified on several occasions for the World cup and Northern Ireland was there and acquitted themselves well in 1982. What about the Welsh? Sounds like they're sort of a reserve side for England :D

Has anyone seen "A Man for all Seasons"? It's about Thomas More, Chancellor to Henry VIII who is finally executed after he's betrayed- the man who betrayed him is rewarded with either a hereditary title or some land in Wales, or both if memory serves.

Thomas More faces the man and says something like:. "Don't you know it profits a man nothing to gain the whole world if he loses his soul in the process?"

"But for Wales? You sold your soul for Wales?"

Sad that Wales can't develop their own youth players. It's not as if they could claim to having contributed much to Ryan Giggs' development either.

Canada is obviously top 4-8 in the world in developing young male and top 2 in developing young female players. As we all know, player development past the age of 20 or so is dependent on club environment but I don't see how nations can take the credit for these professional clubs' (multinational businesses') work.

We need more open, honest discussion of where soccer's going in Canada - we ARE doing a fantastic job at the youth level; we need a strategy that will make young Canadian players really want to play for their country.

PS If I see anyone else write : "Owen Hargreaves (or insert another canadian player's name here), who was DISCOVERED playing in Canada...." I will barf.

Tom Jones is Welsh and so is that bitch Catherin Zeta Jones, as is Ryan Giggs. My point? The three "greatest" things about Welsh culture sure as hell got the fast f.cuk outta Wales, didn't they?

Actually, my real point is that nobody takes Wales seriously, especially in football. I take offense to the notion that as footballers go, we are even lesser than Scotland, the suggestion being that Wales is BETTER than Scotland. Yes, we ARE a lesser soccer nation than Scotland, but Wales isn't even close to Scotland. And Costa Rica is half as flat as Catherine Zeta Jones's ass-grabbing husband is. (This is called reductio ad absurdum, which will be sorely lost on our Welsh poofting, ****er friend.)

Wales, it ain't England, but it's damned close (geographically)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived