Much Adu about nothing......

Winnipeg Fury

Actually yesterday's performance partially convinced me he actually is 14, because he looked so small on the field and while he obviously has skill on the ball, physically & tactically he didn't look like he was anywhere near ready for the A-league, never mind the MLS. A kid like that should obviously be playing with the club's youth team (if they have one) until he actually is ready.

G-L, I agree with your assessment. Where he could overpower younger competition with his physical attributes that is not the case at this level as Jeff Aggos <sp?> demonstrated. Mind you he certainly is composed for someone that young with all the hype surrounding him and the ball he sent into the path of Convey was a good one.

Thought Onstadt had a shakey match although he did make two good saves toward the end.

DD spent much of the game "flopping" and reaching for the ball.

Ok, so what happens if Kovalenko finishes that pass Freddy dished to him? What happens if Stott calls the penalty when Freddy is knocked down in the box? Everyone here would be singing a much different tune. Jesus Christ, people. It's ONE game. Did you see how nervous he was? Did you hear what he said in the postgame? That he was glad it was over. He just needed to get his feet wet. And the age issue? Please. Move on. It's childish.

He came in when DC was bunkering down, so he was never going to see much of the ball. He didn't make any noticable mistakes, and he created a great scoring oppurtunity. For a 14 year old rookie with the weight of the world on his shoulders, that's outstanding.

Although I don't really disagree with SABuffalo, I think it's the MLS's own fault. They're the ones who were calling this kid the next Pele and telling everyone to just watch him. If he fails to impress this year, it will not be his fault but the hype machine that was built for him.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

I think it sounds like someone is a little jellous of the usa.... Personally, adu played amazing for a 14 year old in a mans game,

should he be there? maybe not... but DC cant pass up a chance at greatness... and you have to give the media what they want by playing him in the opening game. Keep him training with men and he will soon become a great player. He just needs to stop trying to overpower the defence. I hope he does well, seems like a good kid with his head on right... not like Lando

First off there's no way that's a penalty and the fact that he can't make a move with the ball in a one v one agains Agoos with a bad leg with acres of space (ie the strength of Adu's game vs. one Agoos' weaknesses as he gets older) I don't see Adu lighting too many people up this year. He's got loads of talent and I still think he's going to be a very, very good player, but I felt before the game he was going to be a non-factor this year and I still do.

does training in a pro atmosphere and not getting a lot of games help his development? I don't know, but I don't think he'll play much this year. Especially if Eskadarian can keep playing like that. It was nice to watch an MLS game involving San Jose and not hear the Landon Donovan pbp, but the Adu hype is worse. No one player is bigger than the league or the game and I think all this hype might actually be bad for the league.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in a game with less space. He had all sorts of room to wheel on the counter playing against 10 men while the opposition pushed forward.

I thought DeRo looked all right, he worked hard and despite getting a good working over by Petke (and I like Petke and I like that style of defence especially if you're getting away with it) he didn't get much of a chance to do much. Ekelund and Donovan were both invisible for much of the game and that was the worst game I've ever seen Donovan play. Of course he nearly tied it anyway.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Ok, so what happens if Kovalenko finishes that pass Freddy dished to him?

I don't know why everybody is wetting themselvevs about the one half-decent offensive play Adu made. The pass could easily been made a few yards inside of where it was so the forward could have had a strike on net. As it was, the pass was out too wide for anything to happen.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think he's going to be a good player & I'm sure he is ahead of where most 14 year olds are. But I still think its too early for him.

Furthermore, I would expect a player who comes along with that much fanfare, to have greater impact on the team(s) that he plays. The truly great ones in any team sport can do that and carry team to greater heights regardless of their age. But from the little that I know, it doesn't appear that he has done that. He was selected for their U20 team but in the end they fared no better than Canada at the WYC and I do not recall him being on the scoresheets and even getting any mention as a tournement allstar. I forgot how they did at the U17 in Finland, but I do know that the US was not in semifinals. I might be a little more convinced if the US would have won the U17 and Adu was name player of the tournament. But the latter didn't happen and with respect to the former, I'll have to look that up.

Many of the mainstream americans who have jumped on this Freddy Adu bandwagon probably never watch soccer or would even know soccer talent if it hit them on the side of the head, So what are they going by to suggest that he is the next great one? Often, a past point of reference is very usefull to have. The Brazillians, for example could always look at a kid and compared what they see to the well known legends of the past. But in the US, soccer is no where near that popular and there is no past legend to compare his development and current talents to.

Just what are the doing? and is it even fair to the kid?

I just checked the tournament page for the U17 WC and noticed that the US lost their quarter final game to Brazil 3-0. Adu scored 4 goals of which one was a PK. He was tied for fourth in the tournament scoring. Not bad, but still nothing to match the hype we are seeing.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Well you never know, with Kevin Stott calling the game. :D

Quite true. I didn't see a red card offence either really (though I'll smile anytime Dema Kovalenko goes out). Anyone know what DeRo did to get booked? I totally missed that what with the annoying coach interview going on. JP didn't help us any either.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

A year's loan to a PDL club.

Then a year's loan to a PSL club.

Then a year's loan to an A-League club.

And only then should he feature in an MLS squad.

I guess you're jaded watching the CSA Old-Timers in action week in week out.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

I think it's too early to tell from the first game. What I can tell however is that the US Soccer program is light years ahead of ours, and unless something is done fast, we'll be bottom table of the hex again this year.

Are we going to play the hex? [V]

Archived