Yallop on Iain Hume

Rivaldo

Here's the text. You have to love the British press saying that Canada is his adopted country despite him moving here when he was 1. I wonder what that makes a certain englishman?

There is little doubt it - Iain Hume has made his mark on the FA Cup this season.

Spectacular goals from distance against Swansea and Bolton have propelled the 20-year-old Tranmere striker into the spotlight.

Millwall know what to expect on Sunday when the sides meet at the New Den with a semi-final place awaiting the winners.

Hume is a little diamond, a bit rough around the edges, but a diamond nonetheless.

It is an exciting time for the player with both club and country.

New Canada coach Frank Yallop is expecting Hume to be a key player in the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers.

Hume has won three caps for his adopted country - he was born in Edinburgh - after showing his pedigree last December.

He helped the nation reach the quarter-finals of the World Youth Championships for under-20s, scoring three goals in the process.

Canada overcame the Czech Republic in the knockout stages before losing to Spain in the last eight.

"Iain had a great tournament in Dubai," former Ipswich defender Yallop said.

"He is a real bright one for the future for us and is on fire at the moment.

"To get to the quarter-final stage was a great feat for a country like Canada.

"We have some good young players - we just need a lot more of them, like Iain. Not all those kids can play at a high level."

Yallop, who took over at the turn of the year, has been impressed by Hume's knack of scoring crucial long-range goals.

"He got a couple for the under-20s like that," said the Canada boss.

"He has that in his arsenal, which is great. He is still young, which is encouraging for me. I hope he will be a big part of my plans.

"I know how hard it is to play in England. I see him playing a big part this year - he will be involved; I do know that."

Shrewd Tranmere manager Brian Little has used Hume sparingly, not only fearing burn-out but the physical battering he has to endure in the Second Division.

Hume is progressing nicely and holds the club record of being the youngest player to wear the shirt - he was 16 years and 167 days when he made his debut at Swindon in April 2000.

Tranmere moved in quickly to secure his services after a played for a Canada select team against their under-16s side.

The club could not believe their luck when they discovered he held a British passport.

Hume's parents emigrated from Scotland when he was one year old and settled in Brampton, Ontario.

He showed a talent for the game and progressed into the nation's top stream of young players.

Hume nailed his colours to the Canada mast but then jumped at the chance of moving to England.

He had earlier been unsuccessful at Hearts and St Mirren after trial spells with both Scottish clubs.

Hume is likely to be invited to a training camp for Canada's European-based players. They will be based in Manchester from March 28 to April 1 as Yallop works towards the World Cup qualifier against Belize in June.

He added: "I have seen on TV what Iain can do, although I intend to get over to a Tranmere game."

Tranmere are no doubt hoping it will be Hume sweet Hume, come Sunday down by the Thames.

A couple more Hume quotes from today's English paper's:

"There was an indirect approach from Scotland, and I had an interest when I was younger. But I am Canadian, and my heart lies in Canada. When I started playing professional I only wanted to play for them."

“Tomasz Radzinski is the top man in Canada. Along with Jason De Vos at Wigan and Pesch they are probably the only names known to the English public. Tomasz is a real down to earth character and made me feel at home straight away.”

“Ice hockey is the No 1 sport back home but we have a chance this summer to make people sit up and take notice if we beat Belize in a World Cup qualifier.”

quote:Originally posted by red card

Hume is dreaming here unless it was Brazil instead of Belize.

Have to agree there. There is no excuse for Canada if they can't handle Belize easily. Its nice to see that a player like Hume is not taking anyone lightly, but same time a little bit of naivete is showing. There are bigger fish to fry than Belize. It will be interesting how Yallop choses to use Hume. With Rad at the top of the pecking order for one of the two fwd spots, Hume will have to battle DD for the other. Based on experience, I have to give the edge to DD. Its nice to know that Yallop will have other options should DD struggle and additionally have some competition for the fwd positions. That is very important for canada and something that we have often lacked ( ie.: a competitve environment for positions).

I believe that Hume could be more explosive than DD, but DD seems more smooth with the ball, very unselfish but less explosive. Often, its better to have this type of player to complement a goal scorer up front. DD's style and demeanour might be more suited to play with Rad than Hume since Hume and Rad strike me as very similar in character and style. I have found that Rad and DD have worked well off of each other.

The determining factor might come down to the formations that Yallops adopts. A Hume/Rad partnership might make sence if Yallops goes with a player in the 3/4 position who is strong and confident on the ball and able to effectively service the fwds. DeGuzman might be that player who, in turn, would be strenghtened by having multiple options up front. But I wonder if a Rad/Hume partnership will work if we go with similar personell or formations that we have employed in the past( eg>; Stalteri in central MF). Stalteri distributes the ball well but his forte IMO is his all-round play. Therefore, Would Rad/Hume go hungry waiting for balls? I suspect that Yallop will look at DeGuzman's age and not subject him to that kind of pressure role of playing the 3/4 position. He may also figure that its not a good idea to have 2 players who are very very young and inexperienced in two of the three critical offensive roles. Having Hume as the first option off the bench to sub a tired Rad or in addition to Rad and DD might be the the best remedy if we are behind on the scoreboard in the second half. Or, to start in place of Rad should the Club versus country conflicts arise.

Ahhhh. But one of Radz.'s strongest qualities is he's a know threat and by his presence alone makes space for everyone else up front.

And if Hume's shown anything it's he can get his teeth into a bit of space and use it to fullist advantage. That's not to say others mentioned don't work better with more elbow room (we don't realy have any bulls right now). I just love the way Hume uses his vision and can be imaginative. That, and his strikers greed/hunger.

But I realy, realy, want De Guzman as an attacking mid. I think he'll rock behind the front line no matter who Yallop chooses. He may be young, but he's too quick, too smart, and too skilled in every aspect to be ignored.

That and he's got bottle. It's his ball. He wants it. And you'd better not get in the way.

Would be nice if he grew a little bit, though. Err...Both of them.

Can't get enough of either of these lads. Come on Rovers!!!!

I agree with Free Kick. In my opinon DD is better at holding the ball up and distributing it. He would play a more Bergkamp type role than Hume. And with Radzinski up front, making runs and creating space, it should give DD more room to hold the ball and bring the wingers in to play (Brennan, Nsaliwa). I believe Hume is more of the natural replacement for Radzinski after the next World Cup and should be used as a late sub for Rad or on the right wing for Nsaliwa.

Deguzman is not yet the attacking mid that we can rely on. Give him a few more years and he may become it, but not yet. His brother in my opinion is the one that will develop into that role.

sure is nice to read these discussions eh? it wasnt much more than a year ago that the talk was which defensive midfielder we could use as a striker. injuries, club commitments...lack of interest...all of these guys will be important.

gives reason for optimism...especially if lars gets into form....used to be if the nats gave up a goal, the game was over...feels like now we are gaining some punch...and long missed skill on the ball.

a great way to spend a sunday morning...i love hearing british announcers talk up our lads...

hume looked very comfortable.

every time i hear his name though, i get that monty python song running through my head...

Emanuel Kant was a real pissant

who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar

who could think you under the table

Ian Hume could out consume Wilhelm Fredrik Heggel

And Wittgenstien was a beery swine

who was just a sloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach about the raising of the wrist Socrates himself was permanently pi**ed

John Stuart Mill of his own free will

on half a pint of chianti was particularly ill

Plato they say could put it away

half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle

Hobbes was fond of his dram

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, "I drink, therefore I am"

Yes Socrates himself will be particularly missed.

A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pi**ed.

Archived