Canadians abroad: March 5-11, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Friday, March 5

8:00 PM (tape-delayed from February 29) on FSWC — United States: MISL

All-Star Game: MISL USA vs. MISL International (Jim Larkin, Hector Marinaro)

Sunday, March 7

8:00 AM on FSWC — England: FA Cup (Quarterfinals)

Millwall vs. Tranmere (Iain Hume)

11:00 AM on Sportsnet — England: FA Cup (Quarterfinals)

Sunderland vs. Sheffield United (Paul Peschisolido)

11:30 AM on FSWC — Germany: Bundesliga

1860 München vs. Werder Bremen (Paul Stalteri)

2:15 PM on ExpressVu 403 — Portugal: Super Liga

Gil Vicente vs. Benfica (Fernando Aguiar)

(Wow!)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 5-11, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Can. in UK

From what I understand, Edgar Bartolomeu has been released by the MetroStars and was not picked up by any other clubs in yesterday's waiver draft... I assume this means that he is out of a job.

Perhaps someone else could clarify the MLS waiver system.

Millwall v Tranmere

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=189402&cpid=

excerpt:

"Recent signing Iffy Onoura is ineligible for the game as he is cup-tied which means that Iain Hume should be handed a starting spot, and the Canadian will be looking for a repeat of his stunning winner against Swansea in the last round. Hume will partner Eugene Dadi up front for Brian Little's men, while defender Tyrone Loran should also keep his place after a recent return from injury."

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

From what I understand, Edgar Bartolomeu has been released by the MetroStars and was not picked up by any other clubs in yesterday's waiver draft... I assume this means that he is out of a job.

Perhaps someone else could clarify the MLS waiver system.

Now that the players, including EB, have cleared waivers they are free agents who can sign with any club, including A-League or European sides. It is possible they may resign with MLS at a lower salary, but for EB that would mean a team blowing a Senior International designation, something nobody will likely do for a role defender.

Guest Jeffery S.

Richard Hastings did not play for MVV who lost at home 1-2 to Excelsior in Dutch 2nd tier. I think he has not played the last three weeks (or two), the team has a new coach but is still losing almost everything and is now last in the league. Wonder if he's been benched or is injured.

This weekend the league starts up in Hungary, where we have players in two sides, MTK Budapest and Pecs (Sergio de Luca), both upper table before the winter break.

Think Srdjan Djekanovic starts up for third tier Serbia Zelenizcar after their winter break. He's started most games, 17 goals against in 17 games, they are 9 points off the lead which they need to grab to promote.

Lars gets first win for Gills:

Courtesy: BBC.CO.UK

Gillingham 2-1 Nottm Forest

Forest slipped to their first defeat under Joe Kinnear at Gillingham.

The visitors began well and went ahead with Nick Barmby's first Forest goal, sweeping home after Gareth Taylor had nodded on Mathieu Louis-Jean's cross.

But Gillingham responded and got back on level terms when Patrick Agyemang thundered in a shot from 25 yards.

The Gills dominated after the break and Danny Spiller's close-range drive won it, before Forest had defender Alan Rogers sent off for violent conduct.

Forest should have gone ahead before Barmby's goal, with Andy Reid shooting wide from Marlon King's cross and King himself forcing Lars Hirschfeld into a fine save.

But after the on-loan Leeds star had fired them in front, Gillingham began to get a grip on the game, with Paul Smith an influential figure.

And they got their reward with Agyemang's sensational strike that flew past Forest keeper Barry Roche, before Mamady Sidibe and Andy Hessenthaler both went close.

After the break both teams went for the three points, Kevin James heading over for the Gills while Taylor had a goal ruled out for offside for Forest.

After Nicky Southall's free-kick had clipped the bar Gillingham finally took the lead, a scramble in the visitors' box giving Spiller the chance to slam in the winner.

It got even worse for Forest in injury time as on-loan Leicester defender Rogers was given a straight red card for a foul on James.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gillingham: Hirschfeld, Southall, Ashby, Leon Johnson, Rose, Hessenthaler, Smith, Spiller, James, Agyemang, Sidibe. Subs: Crofts, Jarvis, Wallis, Pouton, Beckwith.

Nottm Forest: Roche, Louis-Jean, Morgan, Walker, Rogers, Impey, Thompson, Barmby, Reid, Taylor, King. Subs: Jess, Formann, Chopra, Sonner, Doig.

Referee: P Crossley (Kent).

BBC error...

Norwich City v Ipswich Town

Saturday 06 March, 1200 GMT

Full commentary from BBC Five Live Sports Extra.

...should read....

Norwich City v Ipswich Town

Sunday 07 March, 1200 GMT

Full commentary from BBC Five Live Sports Extra.

The BBC's match preview says:

Norwich captain Adam Drury is a fitness concern after he suffered a hip injury during Tuesday's draw with West Brom.

Jim Brennan is on standby to deputise...

Watched the 2nd half of the Tranmere match. Hume was not really that involved to be honest. This being said, it seems to me it was more to do with the lack of quality around him rather his play. On many occassions he seemed to get into good positions but only for Tranmere players not to see him or get the ball to him. Very poor passing on display from them. The central midfielder Mellon also seems to have no left foot so when he gets the ball in the centre he simply looks left or straight up field. As Hume was playing on the right, he rarely ever got the ball.

Anyway, he did show some nice touches. I hope he gets out of Tranmere in the summer and into a side that passes the ball better and doesn't simply hoof it up field to Dadi all the time.

I was a little disappointed that Hume did not get to take the direct free kick in the second half. Taylor took it and hit the wall. That Taylor must be pretty good normally to have first dibs because Hume can score on those.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Watched the 2nd half of the Tranmere match. Hume was not really that involved to be honest. This being said, it seems to me it was more to do with the lack of quality around him rather his play. On many occassions he seemed to get into good positions but only for Tranmere players not to see him or get the ball to him. Very poor passing on display from them. The central midfielder Mellon also seems to have no left foot so when he gets the ball in the centre he simply looks left or straight up field. As Hume was playing on the right, he rarely ever got the ball.

Anyway, he did show some nice touches. I hope he gets out of Tranmere in the summer and into a side that passes the ball better and doesn't simply hoof it up field to Dadi all the time.

Guest Jeffery S.

Ante Jazic got a rare goal for Rapid Vienna, who drew away 1-1 to Austria Vienna in Austrian league action.

i watched the last 30 minutes or so of the Tranmere game. I also noticed that hume was often in position but didn't get the chance to do his thing. Great play by Achterberg saved the team. I didnt know the game wa son tv until i was flipping channels with 30 mins to go. so hopefully i'll check the listings before the replay in order to see the entire match. Lets hope for another hume winner.

Pesch came on just as the second half started. Sure instilled life into his team, had some chances and great chases, but never got a clear shot.

Did you guys get Sky commentary? They sure sounded pro-Sunderland.

What's with the Frodo Baggins haircut, Pecs?

interesting kclee, about your comments on Taylor. I watched him take that free kick and the corners (about 4 or 5). Not a good one in the bunch. Compared to what I have seen Hume do in the past, i wonder why they have this guy taking the corners. One possibility is that with Hume's vertical leap, he is a threat on the corners as well. Or perhaps Taylor just had a poor match.

Archived