Canadians abroad: March 5-11, 2004

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar started for Benfica as they beat Gil Vicente away 1-2. Not sure if he finished the game, think he did as Petit in the midfield was subbed off for the scorer of the game winner Fernandes, usually at least one of the two is on the pitch.

Benfica is in a comfortable third position with little hope of getting any higher in Portugal.

In related news, Benfica's UEFA cup match vs. Inter Milan (lost 4-1 to Roma today), drawn to be played first leg at San Siro this Thursday, has been changed to Lisbon, as AC Milan has a Champions match on Wed. Terrible really that they'd lose home advantage for the 2nd leg only for that reason.

Guest Jeffery S.

Found '>a clip of Jazic's goal m. 68 vs. Austria Vienna today. Go to the symbol beside the time of scoring and click away.

All of Austria goals are online, too bad Ante scores so little. In case you have probs, he charged up the left side on a counter, the player on the right wing held it and waited, put in the pass which Ante dove to and headed in from close.

Hume was more involved in the first half. In the second it seemed like Roberts and their left mid were really pushing Tranmere forward and that's where all the buildup was coming. Hume's good in the air for his size, but I didn't understand why he was in the six yard box on corners or why they kept trying to hit he and Dadi in the air. Both looked much better with balls at their feet. Hume might have had their best chance in the first. He came off the right wing, made himself some space just inside the box and ripped a left-footed shot that looked like it had top corner written all over it, but it got blocked. The reboudn was a dangerous chance too, but it went wanting. Hope Tranmere can do better at home.

cheers,

matthew

Hume definitely has some spring in him and maybe Taylor just had an off day. When Hume is on the pitch for Canada, I am betting that he takes those freekicks.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

interesting kclee, about your comments on Taylor. I watched him take that free kick and the corners (about 4 or 5). Not a good one in the bunch. Compared to what I have seen Hume do in the past, i wonder why they have this guy taking the corners. One possibility is that with Hume's vertical leap, he is a threat on the corners as well. Or perhaps Taylor just had a poor match.

I thought Pesch played well for Sheffield, certainly better than any other striker for his team (especially those useless ones who started the match). Unfortunately he didn't get much, it always seemed like there were 3 guys on him every time he got the ball. Had a break-away incorrectly nullified for offside.

It was quite cool to see someone like Alan Shearer on the half-time show advocate for Pesch to be brought on.

Right on, a goal for Jazic against the club of a tax dodging rich Canadian who prefers to invest in Austrian than Canadian soccer (I will refrain from any comment about his daughter). They have even changed the tradition club's name to FK Austria Memphis Magna Vienna. Maybe its better that he isn't interested in Canadian soccer, we might end up having Vancouver Magna playing the Toronto Magna.

I messed up. I accidentaly deleted Ed's message regarding the San Jose - Dynamo Kyiv Reserves match & Dwayne DeRosario.

Ed, if you remember what you posted, post it again. I think only GianLucas response will be affected.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Jeffrey,

makeashorterlink.com is your friend. Could you please edit your post with the link http://makeashorterlink.com/?O255264A7 instead to fix the horizontal scrolling?

That's one solution (a similar one is tinyurl.com), but there's no need to go to all that trouble. Just hide long URLs behind your own text links. Follow this format, replacing { with [ and } with ] and typing the red parts exactly:

{url="yourURL"}the text you want to appear as a link{/url}

I've already edited Jeffrey's post, as I do many others on the forum, but it would be much easier if people could do this on their own.

Canadians in Italy

March 6

[*]Serie D: Bojano 2-2 Isola Liri (David Masciantonio)

Masciantonio scored the first goal of the match in the 29th minute. I don't know how much he played. Bojano are tied for the group lead and Isola Liri are in fourth place, five points back.

March 7

[*]Serie C1: Teramo (Rocco Placentino) 2-1 Lanciano

Placentino was subbed in at the 88th minute with the score 2-1. Teramo are only four points from a promotion playoff spot, but it's a crowded race.

[*]Promozione Puglia (7th tier): San Severo 1-1 Lucera (Franco Lalli)

I reported last week that I didn't know if Lalli played in last week's match. It turns out that he did and suffered a muscular injury, which kept him from playing in this week's match.

If Tranmere manages to win their second leg of the series, they might have a shot at going all the way to the FA Cup final as Arsenal faces Man United in seminfinals. The other leg will be between Sunderland and the winner of Tranmere-Millwall match.

Guest Jeffery S.

Confirmed that Aguiar played 90 in Benfica's win over Gil Vicente. He also had a hand in the first goal for the team, by Geovanni, sending Armando clear down the side for him to cut it back, from where Geovanni blasted it in. Described as a great team play and excellent strike. Fernando got a 6 rating from abola, same as Benfica's two goal scorers and only bettered by Simao's 7. Nice to see how after some mediocre games and time on the bench he can come in and make his mark.

Kevin de Serpa was on the bench but unused in Penafiel's away 0-2 win over Sporting Covilha in Portugal 2nd div Sunday. At least he was on the bench after not dressing in previous weeks. The team is on a streak and is now in promotion spots, third in the division.

Thanks all re the long url, didn't know about short link sites. Appreciate it.

Orginally posted on the other forum by Ed - Mar 7, 2004, 12:05 PM</u>

Julian de Guzman and Hannover 96 lost 1-0 yesterday to Borussia Moenchengladbach. The loss dropped Hannover to 15th place in the 18 team Bundesliga and cost coach Ralf Rangnick his job. A new coach will be announced shortly.

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen are in action right now in Munich taking on 1860 Muenchen.

Victor Oppong's Regional League South game was postponed.

The two Cdns potentially in action yesterday in the Junioren Bundesliga did not make an appearance. Dylan Hughes was out due to last week's red card, as 1. FC Kaiserslautern won over FSV Mainz 05. Looks like Jeremy Shepherd may have been injured last week as his Hertha Berlin side defeated Hannover 96.

Tam Nsaliwa did not make it on the field as Jahn Regensburg are now into a 3 game undefeated streak, drawing 0-0 away to Arminia Bielefeld today.

Guest Georgio

As reported Jazic scores

And below are some comments and a few pictures (celebration) from those at ASB:

Dear CanadaFan!

My personal impessions were that ante plays a very good game for his proportions ! I think every year, ante will play offensive for once. This time it was the derby between austria vienna and rapid vienna ...

I'm very happy that this occured even yesterday, but otherwise i hope that this will continue !

Greez to Canada!

It has been so great ! Jazic played very well yesterday, he played a nice game even in the offense. Especially his goal (his second goal in almost three years at Rapid) was totally satisfying, because noone thought that he could score in a derby... as he shot the goal, we (the fans) asked each other "Who did it ? Was it Lawaree ? Was it Wagner ?" Then Jazic's picture was shown on the videowall and the first thing I thought about were the Canadian fans at ASB

Jazic's goal celebration was even more intensive then ours... he seemed to be happy like a little boy, who just scored his first goal ever

Hi Canadafan! You wont beleive it, but when Ante scored i was thinking of you and that you would be happy about that

Ante played a nice game, i somehow think that the other teams underestimate him so he has some place on the left side of the field when attacking!

I hope he keeps his actual level!

some pics of ante celebrating his goal:

normal_17%7E3.jpg

normal_18%7E3.jpg

normal_19%7E3.jpg

normal_20%7E2.jpg

These pictures remind me of a passage from one of Ron Luciano's book in which he describes the semantics of a good homerun trot. He concludes by saying that points are deducted for having a look of surprise.

Good on ya Ante.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Aguiar started on the bench tonight in eufa cup action. not sure if he got on during the game.

No, he didn't get on. The match just finished now, Benfica 0 Inter 0. It was broadcast live over the Web, with video and English commentary. I just caught the last 20 minutes or so (as the scoreline would suggest, it was tight defensively).

Originally posted by Jeffrey S. - 03/13/2004 : 12:26:36</u>

Played last weekend, Port Talbot in Wales beat Cfan Druids 0-1 with Simon Rayner going the whole way in the nets, going into the semi-finals of the Welsh Cup. They draw league leader TNS, and if they win, April 3, they may be given the UEFA spot as the other finalist could already have it for league play. Best Cup result ever for Port Talbot.

Watford Res 1-3 Coventry Res

Elliott Godfrey played the second half for Watford Rezzies.

(http://www.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~499031,00.html)

Danny Webber scored in his second game back from a shoulder injury, but it wasn’t enough to prevent the Reserves from losing their six-game unbeaten run against the Sky Blues.

Webber scored a late consolation eight minutes from time as Nigel Gibbs’ search for a first win at home this season continued.

The Hornets had the first real opportunity of the game on 18 minutes when Anthony McNamee found Webber and his half-volley was clawed wide by City keeper Gavin Ward.

Richard Lee was then called into action, parrying a cross-shot from Dean Gordon and then making two fabulous follow-up saves from the rebound.

The Golden Boys again threatened 10 minutes before the break when Rob Martin’s low cross found Webber, who cut the ball back to the far post only for Macca to rifle over.

Four minutes before the interval the Sky Blues took the lead. Graham Barrett’s teasing low cross between the back four and Lee was turned into his own net by a sliding Adrian Mariappa, desperately trying to get back.

Elliott Godfrey was brought on at halftime to try and give the Hornets more attacking impetus and they could have got back on level terms twice within 10 minutes of the restart.

Firstly, captain Paolo Vernazza’s cross was flicked on by Godfrey but Jason Norville failed to react, then Jamie Hand’s long shot was parried by Ward and he got up to just beat Godfrey to the rebound.

On 64 minutes the Midlanders grabbed a fortuitous second to settle the contest. Jamie Collins conceded a foul 30 yards out and Barrett’s optimistic strike took a huge deflection off the wall to leave Lee stranded for 2-0.

Godfrey headed straight at Ward from a Martin cross, while Mariappa was inches away from connecting with his head from a Macca corner before Coventry added a third on 76 minutes.

Andrew Hall’s cross-field pass picked out Stuart Giddings and he slammed the ball into the roof of the net from the edge of the area – giving Lee no chance.

Webber got his goal turning in McNamee’s corner from six yards after the deal ball kick evaded a posse of defenders on the near post to provide a small crumb of comfort.

Dominic Blizzard stood out for the Hornets in an otherwise disappointing evening.

Watford: Lee, Chapman (Godfrey 45), Collins, Hand (Diafutua 71), Mariappa, Blizzard, Martin, Norville (Swonnell 71), Webber, Vernazza ©, McNamee. Subs not used: Diagouraga, Harrington.

Coventry City: Ward, Whing, Gordon, Barry (Osbourne 67), Cooney, Shaw, Hall (Nicell 90), Pead, Mackey, Barrett, Giddings. Subs not used: Briscoe, Tuffey, Thornton.

Archived