Canada WC host? This is what we're up against!

Daniel

At this point is hosting a WC even a goal we should be going after?Lets work on getting mid sized stadiums in Toronto and Vancouver that are capable of housing MLS or A league clubs first.I'm thinking more along the lines of Los Angeles'Home Depot centre.

Those new stadiums in Houston,Philadelphia,Boston and Seattle are great but unless the Big O and B.C.Place get knocked down and replaced with stadiums like those a Canadian WC will have to wait a few more years.

From the picture, it looks like a soccer pitch might be a bit of a tight squeeze in Reliant. Hopefully it was designed so that some of the lower side rows are removable to accommodate the wider field. Fortunately, up here, any field designed for CFL football would be better a better fit for a soccer pitch.

quote:Originally posted by PaulV

From the picture, it looks like a soccer pitch might be a bit of a tight squeeze in Reliant. Hopefully it was designed so that some of the lower side rows are removable to accommodate the wider field. Fortunately, up here, any field designed for CFL football would be better a better fit for a soccer pitch.

It can. It hosted USA-Mexico last May.

I don't think Canada is anywhere near hosting a World Cup. And maybe we shouldn't be...

First there's the whole Financial aspect (another Montreal Olympics anyone?). Secondly, If we were to host, I would want to be assured of qualifying on our own merrit.

Just my 2 cents...

I dont think Canada will get the WC for a while. There is many reasons why we wont like are mens team ranking, lack of stadiums, lack of money to build stadiums with, lack of fan support and competition we would be up against for the WC. I don't see the feds coughing up any money towards soccer as we already have a big problem with the budget. With the amount of cash going to the Winter games in 2010 in Vancouver i cant see any sports getting more then they already get from the goverments. I would have much rathern seen TO get the summer games in 2012 since they would have to build a new stadium.

Canada might not be anywhere near ready to host a WC (though we might move one step closer if we host the Men's U20 in 2007), but in terms of whether we should only host if we were assured of qualifying on our own merit - well, the US was granted the World Cup for 1994 in 1988, and at that time hadn't qualified for a World Cup in 38 years & had Mexico not been disqualifed in qualifying (I won't mention Canada's fluking out in the S-F round) they likely wouldn't have made the World Cup until they hosted in 1994.

So if it wasn't a concern when they were granted the World Cup, I don't think it should be for us.

I think in the future we will no doubt see a World Cup in Canada. The thing is right now, as a lot of people have mentioned, we don't have the support or stadiums. For me, once we (Canada) get into a World Cup, hopefully in 2006, than the support and media will be there. In my opinion, Korea never seemed like much of a "soccer housing country" until USA 94, and France 98. People took interest to this, and they got themselves into hosting a World Cup!

If Korea can do it, Canada can.

I think in the future we will no doubt see a World Cup in Canada. The thing is right now, as a lot of people have mentioned, we don't have the support or stadiums. For me, once we (Canada) get into a World Cup, hopefully in 2006, than the support and media will be there. In my opinion, Korea never seemed like much of a "soccer housing country" until USA 94, and France 98. People took interest to this, and they got themselves into hosting a World Cup!

If Korea can do it, Canada can.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Korea also has a massive economy.

But still only 2/3rds the size of Canada's. More important than the size of the economy is the willingness to direct it towards a venture like a World Cup at the expence of other options. Korea was willing, I don't think Canada ever will be. But who knows?

Think they're still counting the bills in Korea. And raising a few White Elephants. They can keep their bills, big-empty-mostly-useless-stadiums, and happy memmories.

And working in the auto industry I can honestly say Hyundia makes some realy good ships.

P.S. Would love to see us host this tourny, but it'll never happen. We're too practicle a people (seriously!) to put up with the crap we'd have to in order to make the circus (political, financial, and literal) that is the WC work here.

We would have to build many new big stadiums and how would we use these stadiums AFTER the World Cup (9 CFL games is not enough)? I'd rather not see a beatiful stadium built at all, than to see it built only for it to become obsolete. In other words, please no WC until there's a legit Canadian soccer league in existence!

We would have to build many new big stadiums and how would we use these stadiums AFTER the World Cup (9 CFL games is not enough)? I'd rather not see a beatiful stadium built at all, than to see it built only for it to become obsolete. In other words, please no WC until there's a legit Canadian soccer league in existence!

A little reality... Canada will never host a World Cup in any of our lifetimes. Even if we build the best proposed soccer specific stadiums in Toronto and Vancouver, they will still be too small for the minumum 40,000-seat requirements (and remember, 8 such stadia is the minumum) of FIFA. If such stadiums are built soon in TO and Van, then with Commonwealth, we'll have enough for the Youth World Cup in 2007, if we also bring in temporary grass in one of the CFL stadiums as well.

Since FIFA will now jinx any co-hosting by countries for the World Cup, we are pretty well shot. The USA will probably be awarded the World Cup (Africa gets it in 2010, and South America in 2014 with the other SA countries already saying Brazil will have it) in one of 2018,

2022 or 2026. On the condition that we qualify for the WC in that year, the USA may let us hold a Group's matches in a couple of stadia, not as "co-hosts" but as extra home participants without organizational responsibility. This is doable and realistic, but depends on the goodwill of the Americans.

Even with a legit soccer league, no Canada WC until we have the 7 more 40,000-seat grass stadia. Period. Otherwise, we are living in a delusion like our friends in Tunisia and Libya.

Let's now concentrate on getting the bid for the 2007 Youth World Cup, with a clear plan for two immediate SSS's in TO and Van, and ancilliary arrangements, and after that, maybe the Women's World Cup in 2011 or 2015. Let our unborn grandchildren plan to buy the tickets for a home World Cup, other than 4-8 matches in a couple of decades with the help of the US, inshallah.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

A little reality... Canada will never host a World Cup in any of our lifetimes. Even if we build the best proposed soccer specific stadiums in Toronto and Vancouver, they will still be too small for the minumum 40,000-seat requirements (and remember, 8 such stadia is the minumum) of FIFA. If such stadiums are built soon in TO and Van, then with Commonwealth, we'll have enough for the Youth World Cup in 2007, if we also bring in temporary grass in one of the CFL stadiums as well.

Since FIFA will now jinx any co-hosting by countries for the World Cup, we are pretty well shot. The USA will probably be awarded the World Cup (Africa gets it in 2010, and South America in 2014 with the other SA countries already saying Brazil will have it) in one of 2018,

2022 or 2026. On the condition that we qualify for the WC in that year, the USA may let us hold a Group's matches in a couple of stadia, not as "co-hosts" but as extra home participants without organizational responsibility. This is doable and realistic, but depends on the goodwill of the Americans.

Even with a legit soccer league, no Canada WC until we have the 7 more 40,000-seat grass stadia. Period. Otherwise, we are living in a delusion like our friends in Tunisia and Libya.

Let's now concentrate on getting the bid for the 2007 Youth World Cup, with a clear plan for two immediate SSS's in TO and Van, and ancilliary arrangements, and after that, maybe the Women's World Cup in 2011 or 2015. Let our unborn grandchildren plan to buy the tickets for a home World Cup, other than 4-8 matches in a couple of decades with the help of the US, inshallah.

You make some good points but I'm one the oldest people here and I plan on being around past 2026.As slow as the CSA is at progressing the sport who knows what can happen in the next 20 to 40 years.Some of the younger Voyageurs might have something to look forward to.

Exactly. And if the States wouldn't share for their patch-job low-profile WWC with a group in Edmonton, I wouldn't bet a (Canadian) penny that we'd see anything other than preparation games in Canada.

Canada likes the big events (Olympics, Commonwealth Games, World Championships of various sports) and the government has invested when it was needed. I can't see them funding 10 brand-new stadiums, but there is surely a possibility of refurbishment (I mean put another $40m into (even) the Big O and it's a world-class soccer stadium; that'd be the cost of a cheaply made 10,000-15,000 seater otherwise). If Canada wants the World Cup, it won't be able to spend like Jap/Kor 2002, it'll have to get creative. And these "25,000"-seat stadiums are drawn up with expansion in mind, as always.

We definitely need a strong(er) Canadian League (The A-League definitely won't cut it) and if we make the WC in 2006, 2010 or 2014, we'll have proven our worth on the field.

And that's not talking about potential hosting successes with the U20s and the WWC.

Archived