Canadian Invasion of Greece continues (Marcina)

Gian-Luca

This from Neil Davidson's latest article, posted in full on the Atiba Situation thread:

GREEK SIGNING: Alen Marcina, a 24-year-old forward from Surrey, B.C., has signed a three-year deal with Greek club FC PAOK.

Marcina played for the Ottawa Wizards of the CPSL in 2003 with nine goals and eight assists in 10 games. Prior to that, he was an NCAA Div. 2 all-American at Florida's Barry University.

The 24-year-old is Barry University's all-time leading scorer with 62 goals.

"He's very quick, very talented," agent Eric Manasse of Logosport said Monday from Westport, Conn. "He plays on the left side, scores a lot of goals."

Marcina went over on a trial and earned the contract after scoring in a friendly.

PAOK will loan the Canadian to a lower division side for six months, until an import spot opens up.

(Poster's note - I'm assuming PAOK is a top division side then, if they are loaning the striker out to a lower division side?)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

(Poster's note - I'm assuming PAOK is a top division side then, if they are loaning the striker out to a lower division side?)

Yes, PAOK is in third place in the Hellenic National League (top division in Greece), between Panathinaikos and AEK. They defeated first place Olympiacos a week ago Sunday.

I don't know if I want to assume that Morgan is aware of this just because Neil mentioned it in an article. Mr. Quarry is probably too busy with MNT duties to be reading the sports pages these days. I think it would be a good idea if someone with a good rapport were to draw his attention to this signing.

Well I received a response from Morgan at the CSA about Marcina, Dodds, Rahmati etc. and the CSA does indeed know about all developments, as I suspected. But it turns out my email was the 5th email he received from a Voyageur on the subject. In future perhaps whoever decides to email him could mention they are doing so (on both boards) & post the response here, so that we avoid this sort of thing happening again. I wasn't actually going to email in the first place, but since there was a request for somebody with a "good rapport" to do so - and since nobody else mentioned they were emailing - I volunteered, only to find out that 4 others had already done so. Obviously I wouldn't have bothered if I had known (and I guess the same for 3 or the 4 other people who did).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well I received a response from Morgan at the CSA about Marcina, Dodds, Rahmati etc. and the CSA does indeed know about all developments, as I suspected. But it turns out my email was the 5th email he received from a Voyageur on the subject. In future perhaps whoever decides to email him could mention they are doing so (on both boards) & post the response here, so that we avoid this sort of thing happening again. I wasn't actually going to email in the first place, but since there was a request for somebody with a "good rapport" to do so - and since nobody else mentioned they were emailing - I volunteered, only to find out that 4 others had already done so. Obviously I wouldn't have bothered if I had known (and I guess the same for 3 or the 4 other people who did).

This is important. We're going to drive Morgan nuts if this keeps happening. I'd go one step further and suggest that we nominate only one or two people to take responsibility to contact Morgan for these types of things. I nominate Gian-luca. :D

Clearly I'm responsible for this happening. Early in the morning prior to going to work I saw this thread, and suggested that somebody should email Morgan. Then a little later I thought, "What the heck, why wait for someone else to do it, I'll email Morgan myself." At that point I should have posted again advising the board that I had done this, but quite frankly it never crossed my mind to do so. That same evening I was on the road and I received Morgan's response on my Blackberry, which does not have Web access, so I was unable to post anything about it on the board at that point. Later on (when I had access to this board again) I read G-L's most recent post.

My apologies to the board, and to Morgan Quarry.

what i am curious to know is how many other players the CSA knows about and we don't. I think we should give them credit. From my recollection, they dug up Kappos, Godfrey, and De Jong for example. I think Hirschfeld's and McKenna's invite to Holger's first camp in Germany was also the first time that we heard of them as well.

I am still curious to know who the player playing in France is who refused to play for our U-17s (the one mentioned by Hart when he said there were two players who had yet to commit, one in France and the other in the Netherlands (assuming of course, the dutch one is De Guzman).

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Clearly I'm responsible for this happening. Early in the morning prior to going to work I saw this thread, and suggested that somebody should email Morgan. Then a little later I thought, "What the heck, why wait for someone else to do it, I'll email Morgan myself." At that point I should have posted again advising the board that I had done this, but quite frankly it never crossed my mind to do so. That same evening I was on the road and I received Morgan's response on my Blackberry, which does not have Web access, so I was unable to post anything about it on the board at that point. Later on (when I had access to this board again) I read G-L's most recent post.

My apologies to the board, and to Morgan Quarry.

Thanks, but it's not a huge concern or anything, nothing to sweat about. Just thought I should post a heads up so that we can better avoid future email-bombardments.

Actually it was the Voyageurs who dug up Godfrey & brought him to the attention of the CSA - I think that is why every time we hear of a new Canuck abroad there is a concern the CSA might not know about him, even though most times they do (and know of others we still don't know about) - but the possibility exists.

David Masciantonio is another player that the CSA discovered (as being Canadian), as was Marc Bircham. I believe Twamley was the person on both occasions that made the discovery.

It's been reported on a Greek soccer message board that Marcina has been loaned to Veroia of the C' Division. I know it's only a message board, but I've noticed in the past that the poster is pretty reliable with his info.

Veroia currently sits in tenth place with 27 points, 14 points out of first place.

Archived